Ironman Youghal.

You'd be looking at 2 years minimum to be trained up to just finish. I trained to finish.

In 2011, I did two legs of the cork marathon (9.2 miles) then trained for first marathon in Dublin later that year. Nothing spectacular. I did full cork and Dublin again in 2012. Decided to do the 2013 Ironman Wales in August 2012, so I had a year to get ready. I had some aerobic capacity from the running. I started swimming and got a bike. I'm a slow cyclist and foolah here decides to do the one IM race that has nothing but hill after hill during the bike leg. I just did progressions from cycling 1 hour-1.5 hour-2 hour up to a couple of 7 hour cycles. I didn't cycle enough in hindsight but the youghal bike course seems like a proper time trial, head down and pedal until your done profile.

A month out I did what's called a big training day ie a 4km pool swim followed by 5 hours on the bike then after a small break a 25km run. I was then physically ready to finish. All went well although the bike course is a bit TOO hard considering the run course is anything but flat. Got around Tenby in 14.5 hours after starting 'training' 2.5 years earlier.

This is a big deal for Youghal. Tenby was rejuvenated hosting IM Wales. It's triathlon town these days so let's hope youghal does it justice and it becomes a mainstay. Like Tenby, they initially had it contracted for 3 races with the usual NIMBY idiots failing to see the potential moaning about road closures. Some idiotic protesters even put thumb tacks on the bike leg. You'll get the hipster triathletes saying you should do the Hard man in Killarney instead, they view the IM branded races with the high entry fee as a coffee connoisseurs version of Starbucks. I'd rather pay to cycle on closed roads (which isn't cheap hence the premium) instead of taking risks in the open around the ring of kerry to save a few bob.

I've lapsed on the training, I live on the youghal run course I'll be volunteering for 2019 and I'll be signing up for 2020 as I'll need 2 years to get trained. Can't wait.

You'd be looking at 2 years minimum to be trained up to just finish. I trained to finish.

In 2011, I did two legs of the cork marathon (9.2 miles) then trained for first marathon in Dublin later that year. Nothing spectacular. I did full cork and Dublin again in 2012. Decided to do the 2013 Ironman Wales in August 2012, so I had a year to get ready. I had some aerobic capacity from the running. I started swimming and got a bike. I'm a slow cyclist and foolah here decides to do the one IM race that has nothing but hill after hill during the bike leg. I just did progressions from cycling 1 hour-1.5 hour-2 hour up to a couple of 7 hour cycles. I didn't cycle enough in hindsight but the youghal bike course seems like a proper time trial, head down and pedal until your done profile.

A month out I did what's called a big training day ie a 4km pool swim followed by 5 hours on the bike then after a small break a 25km run. I was then physically ready to finish. All went well although the bike course is a bit TOO hard considering the run course is anything but flat. Got around Tenby in 14.5 hours after starting 'training' 2.5 years earlier.

This is a big deal for Youghal. Tenby was rejuvenated hosting IM Wales. It's triathlon town these days so let's hope youghal does it justice and it becomes a mainstay. Like Tenby, they initially had it contracted for 3 races with the usual NIMBY idiots failing to see the potential moaning about road closures. Some idiotic protesters even put thumb tacks on the bike leg. You'll get the hipster triathletes saying you should do the Hard man in Killarney instead, they view the IM branded races with the high entry fee as a coffee connoisseurs version of Starbucks. I'd rather pay to cycle on closed roads (which isn't cheap hence the premium) instead of taking risks in the open around the ring of kerry to save a few bob.

I've lapsed on the training, I live on the youghal run course I'll be volunteering for 2019 and I'll be signing up for 2020 as I'll need 2 years to get trained. Can't wait.

V interesting and insightful post.

Fair fucks to you for going all the way.

Excellent post

Excellent post

Yes an excellent post. I agree with the level of training involved. You can decide to do a marathon 3 months out but it really takes two years for the iron man. It's not so much that that's all physical training. A huge amount of that time is mental training. You need to take on various events e.g. Marathon, triathlon, half ironman, etc. You'll go to the dark places in those events and that will show if you can deal with the mental challenge, along with the physical.

I did the full marathon in Dublin last year and also the half IM. I went to those so called dark places at times, but I was able to get through them. The ironman isn't for everyone. I'm training for Barcelona this year and there is a huge training commitment. I'm 6 days a week now and you do get used to it because it becomes a way of life but it does take over your life. There are worse things that you could be doing!

I had told myself that I wouldn't do youghal because it's only 8 months after barcelona but the bike route passes my house in midleton twice so it's way too local not to do it.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Complete Stone Roses
The Oliver Plunkett, Oliver Plunkett St.

1st Aug 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Mashed Potatoes

Old Oak, Tomorrow @ 10pm

More events ▼