Gardai

Not sure if it's sufficiently garda related or not but there's a story that Limerick hurler Pat Ryan has been found guilty of perjury over the quashing of motoring fines and sentenced to two weeks in jail. He's appealed it

I'm confused. Is that a good thing or a bad thing?
Well it's a good thing and a bad thing I suppose.

It means they save on human resources having say 12 controllers in a control room say in Anglesea Street and all 999 Garda calls from Cork City/ County/ Waterford/ Tipperary and Limerick all go through there.
They control all calls incoming and then allocate them to the units in the respective areas.
They would have a high ranking officer in the room as well should a major incident arise so decisions can be made immediately

So instead of the above then you could have a situation where you could have a Garda sitting at a desk in every single station throughout the counties above, that is an awful lot of Gardai just on station duty, meaning that, if something kicks off, they have to stay where they are and they call the vehicles and members to the scene.

The difference above is that to Joe Soap, the 2nd example is great, because the local station in the parish is open.
But that approach is ridiculous.

Well it's a good thing and a bad thing I suppose.

It means they save on human resources having say 12 controllers in a control room say in Anglesea Street and all 999 Garda calls from Cork City/ County/ Waterford/ Tipperary and Limerick all go through there.
They control all calls incoming and then allocate them to the units in the respective areas.
They would have a high ranking officer in the room as well should a major incident arise so decisions can be made immediately

So instead of the above then you could have a situation where you could have a Garda sitting at a desk in every single station throughout the counties above, that is an awful lot of Gardai just on station duty, meaning that, if something kicks off, they have to stay where they are and they call the vehicles and members to the scene.

The difference above is that to Joe Soap, the 2nd example is great, because the local station in the parish is open.
But that approach is ridiculous.

Your 2nd example is a bit reductive.

At the other end of the reductive "Why have a single garda in a station in each parish" is "Why not just get rid of Garda Stations altogether and have them all controlled by one central control room"? I'm sure you can see that would be just as impractical as having a single garda at each station in each parish waiting to react to local problems.

There should be a happy medium that would see sufficient gardai out and about locally, with local knowledge, to help stop crime.

A cop walking around who sees a crime being committed or is asked for help from a citizen cannot react unless he or she is told to by a controller?

That doesn't make sense.

A cop walking around who sees a crime being committed or is asked for help from a citizen cannot react unless he or she is told to by a controller?

That doesn't make sense.
Was my post that confusing ?

Of course a Garda who is approached can make a judgement and report back to control that they are now dealing with another issue and to pass whatever call they were assigned to, to another unit.

Your 2nd example is a bit reductive.

At the other end of the reductive "Why have a single garda in a station in each parish" is "Why not just get rid of Garda Stations altogether and have them all controlled by one central control room"? I'm sure you can see that would be just as impractical as having a single garda at each station in each parish waiting to react to local problems.

There should be a happy medium that would see sufficient gardai out and about locally, with local knowledge, to help stop crime.
You are right.

Just politics will not allow for Garda stations to close as it portrays a certain image amongst the public who think Gardai operate like the fire service.

I don't think they have the numbers anymore for that old fashioned view ot policing

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Old Moderns
Clancys, 15-16 Princes St.

5th May 2024 @ 10:00 pm
More info..

Comedy Cavern: Fin Taylor

Coughlan's, Tomorrow @ 6:30pm

More events ▼