GAA/SKY deal goes bang

As someone else mentioned, this could just make RTE lazy. Virgin Media prob won't take up the games.

It was mentioned a year or 2 ago that the GAA wanted to look at the Digital side of things i.e GAAGO or the Examiner / Off the Ball etc.... I think they'll go down this route maybe. Everyone saying they want more free to air but how? RTE won't increase the number of games they show already, TG4 and RTE won't be allowed compete with each other directly (i.e games on at same time on same day). That's all we have here. 3 free to air channels.... Whatever anyone thought of Sky, this is prob bad news in terms of getting games covered.

RTÉ has expanded its rights for Gaelic games coverage for the next five years, with more live games and a new second highlights programme part of the deal.

The comprehensive coverage across RTÉ television, radio, and online services for the next five season will guarantee free-to-air coverage to audiences in Ireland across 12 months of the year from 2023 to 2027 inclusive.

As well as 31 GAA championship games to be shown across the island of Ireland on RTÉ television and RTÉ Player, the Joe McDonagh Cup final and both Tailteann Cup semi-finals and final for the next five years will also feature.

Increased free-to-air Allianz National League games as well as continued coverage of the AIB Club Championships will feature on Saturday nights, ensuring year-round live GAA coverage across all platforms on RTÉ.

The Sunday Game night-time show will return alongside a new second highlights programme.

Additionally, RTÉ has secured enhanced digital in-game and post-match digital highlight clip rights.

At least nine live camogie games will be shown per year, while On both RTÉ Radio 1 and RTÉ RnaG retain exclusive national live rights.

Following the successful expansion of GAAGO's streaming footprint of which RTÉ is a joint partner, exclusive championship games will be made available on the platform in Ireland and overseas from the 2023 season onwards.

"With more live games now available than ever before on RTÉ combined with extensive radio, digital and highlights rights, this agreement with the GAA represents an enormous step forward in coverage for our national games," RTÉ Head of Sport , Declan McBennett said.

"Public service broadcasters are at the very heart of the coverage, and this is ultimately for the benefit of the audience. We view this as a hugely significant deal and a core part of our ongoing effort to bring live sport direct to our audience."

RTÉ Director General Dee Forbes said today's announcement reinforces the national broadcaster’s commitment to offer the best GAA coverage to free-to-air audiences.

"Irish audiences love live sport so we are delighted to have negotiated our biggest ever agreement with the GAA that will see RTÉ bring Irish sports fans more live GAA games, and more camogie coverage, across the season across RTÉ television, radio and online over the next five years," she said.

Nothing in this except more RTE monopoly and as they have proven they are really poor at coverings GAA. For RTE the aim is simply having the monopoly and destroying the competition not producing a top class programming and while the likes of Cahill, mcstay and o’rourke being gone is a bonus they will be replaced by the usual collection of cliche ridden players ex players, while between them Marty and canning continue to mangle the English language trying to describe games they in reality don’t have an iota of understanding of, keeping Rte radio as a partner doubles down on this mistake. I wonder will the ‘auld fellas’ who didn’t have sky be able to access GAA GO?

I'd say the aul fellas who are really interested will learn. Never thought my aul fella would be streaming films he finds on you tube from his phone to his telly but he is.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Jack L
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

4th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..
More events ▼