FUEL PRICE PROTESTS

The crowd who held the fuel price protest in Dublin during the week have threatened to bring Dublin to a complete
standstill in early December if their demands are not met, We are all suffering from increased prices and yes it will
see many hauliers struggle to survive but this bully boy intimidatory tactics is completely wrong, Retailers are
struggling hugely and a blockade like this could see a massive hit, Limerick TD Richard o Donoghue is backing this group and
no doubt other politicians will see it as yet another bandwagon to climb aboard, The IRHA have distanced themselves
from this group.

Haulage companies and bus operators can apply for the Revenue's Diesel Rebate Scheme which reduces the cost of their fuel (by 7.5c/l at the minute I think). They're not paying what you and me pay at the pumps. Anyway, with fuel taxes being a massive source of revenue for the government I don't think you'll see many politicians backing these guys.

As long as it's just Dublin they're threatening to bring to a halt, who cares?

Hauliers just have to increase their charges as any other business would do if they faced higher costs.

They should leave the street blockades bullyboy tactics to the IFA.

^On point. 👈

A bloke from dublin city traders says this group were invited to meet senior civil servants and they could not even agree
on who they would mandate to go to the meeting,

It's the government that are coining extra revenue from the fuel rice increase also here. Its crazy - this will affect everything as cost of fuel has to be reflected now by increased cost of goods.

This is only the start of the attach on the motorists,some unelected body are proposing congestion charges of up to €10 per vehicle for each city and a 300% rise in parking charges.

Carbon taxes are designed to encourage people to move to alternative carbon free transport options. So if you have a 40 foot articulated truck you should stop using diesel and find a carbon neutral alternative.
Ordinary motorists should protest as well: for every €100 euro you spend on fuel, over €50 of that goes directly to the government.

It's the government that are coining extra revenue from the fuel rice increase also here. Its crazy - this will affect everything as cost of fuel has to be reflected now by increased cost of goods.
Rising fuel costs are a global problem. That's part of the reason it costs $13k to ship a 40 foot container from Asia to Europe or the US. Any retailer who sells toys, electronics or anything else made in China knows this is a bigger issue than the cost of getting stuff from Dublin port to your shop. Maybe they could source products closer to home? I dunno

Looking at fuel costs just within Ireland, 51% of the price of a litre of diesel goes to the government (compared to 56% on petrol). And don't forget that 23% of the cost is VAT which the haulier can claim back...

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
King K
Clancys, 15-16 Princes St.

3rd May 2024 @ 10pm
More info..

Stand-up Comedy Club: Thursday Showcase

The Roundy, Today @ 8:30pm

More events ▼