Free PROC Android and iPhone App

PROC Tech

Super Moderator
A working beta version of our FREE smartphone app is now available for download. We are still working on elements of it but this is very close to the finished product.

FEATURES

- Event Guide: find out what's on wherever you are.
- Tourist information, guides etc (work in progress)
- Music Video - watch our monthly round up of Cork gigs
- When's Me Bus? - find out when your next (city) bus is
- Cinema listings with trailers and info
- Articles - stuff from the homepage, competitions etc.
- Forum - latest threads (work in progress)
- Tides - Arrrrr!
- Live parking feed - see which car parks are full before you arrive in the city

TO DOWNLOAD TO YOUR PHONE:

Android users can download the app from the android market.
On your phone go to "market" and search for "proc" or "cork".

iPhone and other apple touch devices can download the app from the App Store. On your phone go to "app store" and search for "proc" or "cork".

Those of you who spotted another 'PROC Forums' app in market/itunes over the last few months may have been using it up until recently. This was a bespoke app from vBulletin who make the software that run this forum. The code was extremely finicky and we have decided to turn it off for now.

Instead we have changed the 'skin' that users see on the forum when browsing on their phones. You can access the forum via the app or just through your phone's browser as normal.

Your feedback is welcome at tech@peoplesrepublicofcork.com

You can leave technical feedback in this thread if you like just bear in mind this is a temporary thread. Please mention what phone and operating system version (if you know) you have if you have display issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice app, works well on the anaemic HTC Wildfire running Froyo. Fair dues lads.

Two minor points (and I mean seriously minor points)
1. The Whens Me Bus needs an apostrophe, i.e. When's Me Bus?

2. I'd make the call buttons bigger, or at the top. You need to scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page. Looks like a nice function, but I only noticed them because I looked for phone access as I thought "Huh?" when installing the app required full access to call services. They're a little hidden at the bottom of the page there.

Just had a look on my S2 - very nice. Great work..

FYI: It's not compatible with my Galaxy Tab 10.1 which is a shame. Lemme know if ye need a hand getting it compatible..

Very nice app, works well on the anaemic HTC Wildfire running Froyo. Fair dues lads.

Two minor points (and I mean seriously minor points)
1. The Whens Me Bus needs an apostrophe, i.e. When's Me Bus?

2. I'd make the call buttons bigger, or at the top. You need to scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page. Looks like a nice function, but I only noticed them because I looked for phone access as I thought "Huh?" when installing the app required full access to call services. They're a little hidden at the bottom of the page there.

Thanks for the comments.

1. The iphone is the issue here as the text will wrap if one more character is added. An apostrophe and a question mark is needed really but if it wraps around to two lines it looks gammy. This feature was added very late on and is server side (iphone and android versions both "look" at the same CSS layout) so we may fix this down the line. We've been at this since May so there's a point where we had to draw a line. Obviously we could just call it "Bus times" but we like "When's Me Bus?" too....

2. Yes, we agree with this but several people also commented that the "find venue" button which is also at the bottom should also be moved up too and space is limited. Obviously we can't have everything above the fold. Calling the venues/cinemas isn't as big a priority as the gig/movie details so we decided to leave it at the bottom for now. It may change though and as that code is server side it wouldn't require an app update. Also, once you know that those buttons are there anytime you want to call a venue or cinema you'll know where to look but yes, we may look at that in the future.

Just had a look on my S2 - very nice. Great work..

FYI: It's not compatible with my Galaxy Tab 10.1 which is a shame. Lemme know if ye need a hand getting it compatible..

OK, thanks. That's the trouble with app development, there are so many devices!

We've checked it on all iphones and the popular android brands (Samsung, HTC etc) and they're all more or less working as is required. Phones are the priority for now as the real reason for the app was so that people can check what's on wherever there's mobile reception without having to load the full PROC website which might be hard to navigate. Browsing PROC is much easier on a tablet but obviously we would like to ensure its compatibility on tabs like the 10.1 as well.

Drop us a line if you like tech@peoplesrepublicofcork.com

I might be a bit pedantic but the app doesn't rotate to landscape.

Would it be possible to get a date drop down option for the cinema listings (like the events listing)?

For tourist info food options would appear to be lacking?

Other than that it looks pretty sweet.

Desire HD running stock Froyo.

I might be a bit pedantic but the app doesn't rotate to landscape.

Would it be possible to get a date drop down option for the cinema listings (like the events listing)?

For tourist info food options would appear to be lacking?

Other than that it looks pretty sweet.

Desire HD running stock Froyo.

I'm sure inclusion in that list wouldn't be free. Gotta pay the bills, after all.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Music Network Presents Linda Fredriksson Juniper
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

14th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Elsewhere - A New Opera by Michael Gallen

Cork Opera House, Tomorrow @ 8pm

More events ▼