Fox hunting

Yup. And prior to Mayoralty being raised to Lord Mayor I think the building (Distillery House?) on the North Mall at the bottom of Wyse's Hill was a Mayoral residence, and the Sacred Heart at the end of the Mardyke was another.
If you drive up Sundays Well, just at end of The North Mall, on the wall of the old distillery in the left, there is a cornerstone in the wall taken from a medieval monastery that once stood there.

Pheasants aren't even native to Ireland. Introduced to give gun toters a few giggles by blasting them.
Dam
Pheasants aren't even native to Ireland. Introduced to give gun toters a few giggles by blasting them.
Damn Johnny Foreigner of a pheasant!

As a matter of fact, the same habitat supporting foxes and pheasants is surviving a huge range of flora and fauna that would otherwise have nowhere to go. A plain old field of rye grass doesn’t compare.

Makes no sense. What about mice and rats, there are surely more of them than humans. And dogs and cats? And what does 'most unique mammal species' even mean? Is an elephant more unique than a polar bear or than a chihuahua.
We are hunting predatory animals into extinction, they control the balance.
We turn the natural habitats of wild animals into farmland destroying fauna and flora along the way.
What could possibly go wrong.....
Man is his own worst enemy dopps.

He wasn't. Although insurance is an issue at the moment for many hunts
There was a case a year or two ago. A decent rider, in the sense she could go around showjumping course, was out for one of her first times with a hunt. They came to a fairly dodgy ditch, the guy in charge said no-one was to take that jump unless they were seriously good, decades of riding with hunts-type experience, and recommended that pretty much everyone go a bit further to a safer spot. This eejit of a wan thought she was Tammy Top Tits and went for it despite the message it was only if you were really confident with a huge amount of experience. She fell, horse landed on her, I think. Injured. She sued the hunt and it went to court. I think she lost but I'd say insurers are terrified about this kind of thing. All it takes is one judge who says jumping over natural landscapes features has to be perfectly safe if you're doing it, and even if everyone with an ounce of sense is telling you not to do it the hunt is still responsible.

Similar case, that won, I think, was taken against a school, where someone fell from a horse. Lots of people looking for dollars for any injury despite the fact that everyone knows horse riding can be dangerous.

Lots of general chatter that these are all "city" people who haven't a clue about horses or the culture and think the horse is a machine that you know everything about and not a real living animal.

Even racing is having problems. Supposedly the national insurance in both Ireland and the UK negotiated for jockeys is getting more expensive. The insurers just don't want to take on something high risk, even if people are willing to pay. A little bit like the bookies they only want easy, guaranteed cash. Insurance not in the insurance game, really, but in the guaranteed money game.

There was a case a year or two ago. A decent rider, in the sense she could go around showjumping course, was out for one of her first times with a hunt. They came to a fairly dodgy ditch, the guy in charge said no-one was to take that jump unless they were seriously good, decades of riding with hunts-type experience, and recommended that pretty much everyone go a bit further to a safer spot. This eejit of a wan thought she was Tammy Top Tits and went for it despite the message it was only if you were really confident with a huge amount of experience. She fell, horse landed on her, I think. Injured. She sued the hunt and it went to court. I think she lost but I'd say insurers are terrified about this kind of thing. All it takes is one judge who says jumping over natural landscapes features has to be perfectly safe if you're doing it, and even if everyone with an ounce of sense is telling you not to do it the hunt is still responsible.
Yes, she lost the case against Laois Hunt. Judge said she shouldn't have attempted the jump.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Conchur White
Winthrop Avenue (@ Old Oak)

3rd May 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Brian Kenny: Tempus Futurum

Triskel Arts Centre, Today @ 6pm

More events ▼