Fianna Fail....but..but..Si nn Féin

I think the public are starting to realise that FFG have no interest in government other than keeping Sinn Féin out for fear that Joe Public sees that SF aren't the boogyman FFG convinced so many that they were. It seems everything that FFG point the finger of condemnation at SF for, FF and/or FG have been guilty of themselves.

FFG motto "Don't do what we do, do what we say"
That's not the reason though.
For some it is the Meridian view - no distinction between SF and IRA.
For some it is about retaining any vestige of power at all costs.
For some it is actually on ideological grounds where they see SF as a hard left party.

SF needs to stop portraying itself in terms of the FF/FG view of SF.
As I put in another thread? a couple of days ago - if they are serious about government, then persuade the public there is more to them than housing and social welfare. I am starting to think that some in SF will be like Regina Doherty if they got into government because all they want is to complain and rabble rouse as opposed to providing a vision for a better Ireland.

To an increasing extent, SF are living up to the image being cast on them by MM and LV so often. As I have often said before, they are very bad at electoral politics down here.

For some it is actually on ideological grounds where they see SF as a hard left party.

As I put in another thread? a couple of days ago - if they are serious about government, then persuade the public there is more to them than housing and social welfare. I am starting to think that some in SF will be like Regina Doherty if they got into government because all they want is to complain and rabble rouse as opposed to providing a vision for a better Ireland.

To an increasing extent, SF are living up to the image being cast on them by MM and LV so often. As I have often said before, they are very bad at electoral politics down here.
Sinn Fein portray us as a "failed State" with everything in permanent state of "crisis" and corrupt (While lauding actual failed states like Cuba and Venezuela etc) where everyone here is impoverished and miserable while at the same time wanting the 6 counties to freely vote and join up with the Republic.

It's amusing how the lack of proper electoral politics down her

Much of the electoral politics down here has been 100 years of cute-hoorism. Getting guys in place to pull strokes with ideologies that see even SF as being "a hard left" party.
Just as the scales have been lifted off the eyes of the people with regard to the Catholic Church and how miserably and corruptly they ruled this country for so many decades, I think the populace are wising up to Fianna Fail - Fine Gael smoke and mirrors of government and opposition. They've played pass-the-parcel here with government for 100 years and while the first 50 years it was recrimination over who took what side in the Civil War, the last nearly 50 years its been cronyism and who does it better.

Your suggestion that SF are very bad at electoral politics down here presupposes there are others that do it much better. I think it fair to say that the Labour Party certainly don't. Too early to say if the Soc Dems will. The Greens certainly get into government from time to time but only as a mudguard. So then you're talking about FF and FG. They certainly get plenty of dullards elected to the Dail, but I think even their most optimistic cheerleader (of whom there are quite a number here) will have to admit that together they're on a downward curve that has gathered momentum in the last decade.

If getting into government is the ultimate measure of how well parties do electoral politics down here, then methinks the times look like changing. So SF may have been (past tense) very bad at electoral politics down here over the preceding 90 odd years, I think it fair to say they're catching up (currently marginally the most TDs) and are likely to take the lead if the polls are to be believed.

It's amusing how the lack of proper electoral politics down her

Much of the electoral politics down here has been 100 years of cute-hoorism. Getting guys in place to pull strokes with ideologies that see even SF as being "a hard left" party.
Just as the scales have been lifted off the eyes of the people with regard to the Catholic Church and how miserably and corruptly they ruled this country for so many decades, I think the populace are wising up to Fianna Fail - Fine Gael smoke and mirrors of government and opposition. They've played pass-the-parcel here with government for 100 years and while the first 50 years it was recrimination over who took what side in the Civil War, the last nearly 50 years its been cronyism and who does it better.

Your suggestion that SF are very bad at electoral politics down here presupposes there are others that do it much better. I think it fair to say that the Labour Party certainly don't. Too early to say if the Soc Dems will. The Greens certainly get into government from time to time but only as a mudguard. So then you're talking about FF and FG. They certainly get plenty of dullards elected to the Dail, but I think even their most optimistic cheerleader (of whom there are quite a number here) will have to admit that together they're on a downward curve that has gathered momentum in the last decade.

If getting into government is the ultimate measure of how well parties do electoral politics down here, then methinks the times look like changing. So SF may have been (past tense) very bad at electoral politics down here over the preceding 90 odd years, I think it fair to say they're catching up (currently marginally the most TDs) and are likely to take the lead if the polls are to be believed.
People may scoff at social media but it has a huge part to play in modern day politics, An interesting thing is facebook is heavily populated
with " you are the very best" comments whereas twitter seems to contain a lot of comments from people asking questions of parties policies and calling out bull shit, I cant see LV pulling the plug, They will do all they can to go full term and will hope progress is made on housing, and exchequer figures
continue to pick up, Was it 2007 when people looked all set to abandon FF but many had a late change of heart?

People may scoff at social media but it has a huge part to play in modern day politics, An interesting thing is facebook is heavily populated
with " you are the very best" comments whereas twitter seems to contain a lot of comments from people asking questions of parties policies and calling out bull shit, I cant see LV pulling the plug, They will do all they can to go full term and will hope progress is made on housing, and exchequer figures
continue to pick up, Was it 2007 when people looked all set to abandon FF but many had a late change of heart?
I like to get info from a broad church of people so do follow some unionists, FF, FG etc but a guy popped up on my twitter timeline this morning saying that the Irish people should realize just how lucky we are to have Leo Varadkar. :LOL:
Clearly not all the nutters are restricting themselves to Facebook

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Nora Brown and Stephanie Coleman
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

13th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Colm Murphy

St. Peters Cork, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼