Elon Musk buys Twitter

lol he is ya

I haven't seen this much snow-white skin since the last time I was at Garretstown

View attachment 17125
1669636465009.png

south-africa-location-on-the-africa-map.jpg

He is an African. He is also an American (got his citizenship in 2002).
He is an African-American. But he is not black. Because those two things are not exactly the same.

He's African, and American, so you could call him African-American if you want to totally ignore the context of how that phrase is normally used.
I disagree with the context of how that phrase is used, mostly because it's used to mean "black".

Not all Africans are black. Not all black people are Africans. Not that black people is a sensible term either because, well, it's a horrible one and honestly I don't have a better term.

But African American = black is problematic. Do the majority of North Africans not count because their pantone shade isn't dark enough? Does Trevor Noah count because his dad was white?
Do we have to pedantically call Musk a South-African-American?

Maybe that would actually be better anyway, to say someone's a Nigerian-American? After all, we don't say European-American.

Fundamentally, it's all about America still being idiotic about race.

I disagree with the context of how that phrase is used, mostly because it's used to mean "black".

Not all Africans are black. Not all black people are Africans. Not that black people is a sensible term either because, well, it's a horrible one and honestly I don't have a better term.

But African American = black is problematic. Do the majority of North Africans not count because their pantone shade isn't dark enough? Does Trevor Noah count because his dad was white?
Do we have to pedantically call Musk a South-African-American?

Maybe that would actually be better anyway, to say someone's a Nigerian-American? After all, we don't say European-American.

Fundamentally, it's all about America still being idiotic about race.
I think you may be over-thinking this one.

It has always been used (rightly or wrongly) as a reference for black Americans.

The only one who seems perplexed and offended by it is you.

I think you may be over-thinking this one.

It has always been used (rightly or wrongly) as a reference for black Americans.

The only one who seems perplexed and offended by it is you.
I'm not perplexed by it, understand the conflation of African American with black but I think it's wrong headed to say Elon Musk isn't an African American because he's white. He's an African man who is an American citizen.

All that said, "Indian American" is even more ridiculous. It gets sillier the more you think about it. Thankfully it has broadly been replaced by Native American.

In less than a month, Elon Musk has driven away half of Twitter’s top 100 advertisers​

These advertisers accounted for nearly $2 billion in spending on the platform since 2020
WRITTEN BY SHARON KANN & ANGELO CARUSONE
RESEARCH CONTRIBUTIONS FROM RUBY SEAVEY
PUBLISHED 11/22/22 4:40 PM EST
In recent weeks, 50 of the top 100 advertisers have either announced or seemingly stopped advertising on Twitter. These advertisers have accounted for nearly $2 billion in spending on the platform since 2020, and over $750 million in advertising in 2022 alone.
In addition to advertisers that have seemingly stopped all advertising on Twitter as of November 21, there are an additional seven advertisers which appear to be slowing the rate of their advertising on the platform to almost nothing. Since 2020, these seven advertisers have accounted for over $255 million in spending on Twitter, and nearly $118 million in advertising in 2022.
1669737902347.png

Last edited:
EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Aidan Killian - Comedian
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

26th Apr 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Andy Dunne

Dwyers Of Cork, Today @ 9:30pm

More events ▼