Elon Musk buys Twitter

I respect your opinion.

The world existed before Twitter.

It can do without it now.

Maybe... just, maybe and it's only a maybe.... the world is a better place without insta updates.

Silence.
Oh of course. Just that there would be something missing that today, is pretty decent.

I've found it very useful in the past for IT incidents, it's certainly at least as reliable as the sea of lies that is the AWS status page. If we were having issues, would check twitter as well as AWS status page. No updates on both? Probably fecked on our side then. Occasionally, AWS would say everything is fine, but loads of people bitching about it on twitter, at which point you raise an AWS ticket and go grab a coffee...

Following fast moving world events is also pretty big on twitter, not found anything that quite matches it.

Oh of course. Just that there would be something missing that today, is pretty decent.

I've found it very useful in the past for IT incidents, it's certainly at least as reliable as the sea of lies that is the AWS status page. If we were having issues, would check twitter as well as AWS status page. No updates on both? Probably fecked on our side then. Occasionally, AWS would say everything is fine, but loads of people bitching about it on twitter, at which point you raise an AWS ticket and go grab a coffee...

Following fast moving world events is also pretty big on twitter, not found anything that quite matches it.

We've had convo on this before. This argument.

Single point of failure is a Software Architecture no no.

It'll happen.

Well who the fuck am I.

Very telling who his most ardent defenders here are.
Does it really matter? I dont give a monkeys about Twitter itself as a service.. but theres a massive human element to this that is disastrous, thousands of people unemployed all of a sudden. American capitalism 101 swings into action, its his company, he bought it, he can do what he wants with it. Here's the thing, Twitter was a decent company until he bid what seems far too much for it, now its a company dying under the strain of the debt that deal has brought on it. His solution is to fire half of the workforce indiscrimainately and tell whats left that they sign up to draconian working conditions or hit the road.. what an absolute shithead. What about all of the families this will affect? Thats all on Musk. If he succeeds he will be hailed as an incredible business man despite the destruction he'll have caused, if he doesn't people will rejoice in the pantomime failing.. but the real casualties will everyone left in his wake and working for him

This shit makes me despair, real one step forwards two steps back stuff

Last edited:
Does it really matter? I dont give a monkeys about Twitter itself as a service.. but theres a massive human element to this that is disastrous, thousands of people unemployed all of a sudden. American capitalism 101 swings into action, its his company, he bought it, he can do what he wants with it. Here's the thing, Twitter was a decent company until he bid what seems far too much for it, now its a company dying under the strain of the debt that deal has brought on it. His solution is to fire half of the workforce indiscrimainately and tell whats left that they sign up to draconian working conditions or hit the road.. what an absolute shithead. What about all of the families this will affect? Thats all on Musk. If he succeeds he will be hailed as an incredible business man despite the destruction he'll have caused, if he doesn't people will rejoice in the pantomime failing.. but the real casualties will everyone left in his wake and working for him

This shit makes me despair, real one step forwards two steps back stuff

The sub plot here was always about the “soft left that run Twitter and who are censoring certain viewpoints “ Vs the “hard right whose voice is being shutdown”

Musk is waded in publicly as the valiant hero of free speech who was going to buy the company and save the day from the entitled left.

It was a vanity project that so far has backfired. If he can make a go of it then I’ll certainly take my hat off to him. He is crowing about how much activity there is on the platform. That directly doesn’t pay the bills.
And if the service actually goes down, and he has fired the people that have the knowledge/ability to restore it, then it could be a devastating blow to Twitter.

Tech Debt, as i said before, is going to be something i hope Elon has considered.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Nora Brown and Stephanie Coleman
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

13th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Brian Kenny: Tempus Futurum

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 6pm

More events ▼