Electric Scooters

The problem for drivers is the dark mornings and evenings these scooters are almost impossible to see as they do not have effective lighting and are very fast and not taking the necessary precautions at junctions at times.

And not just the breakneck speeds but some of them think they're entitled to flouting the rules like cyclists. They seem to think that traffic lights don't really count for them and that footpaths are there for them when some streets are inconveniently one-way against them or too busy with traffic.
Surely they should be subject to motor tax ?

Apparently not.
I was talking to a bloke recently who purchased one for 500Euro. He's living in Blackpool and says it's brilliant for getting in and out of town. No tax. No insurance. And he freely admitted that he doesn't follow any one-way systems just drives it where he likes and occasionally even on the footpath too. Says he can get anywhere in town in a matter of minutes. No hills to negotiate either.

Apparently not.
I was talking to a bloke recently who purchased one for 500Euro. He's living in Blackpool and says it's brilliant for getting in and out of town. No tax. No insurance. And he freely admitted that he doesn't follow any one-way systems just drives it where he likes and occasionally even on the footpath too. Says he can get anywhere in town in a matter of minutes. No hills to negotiate either.
fella passed me on one of them yesterday 5pm , no light or hi viz,

And not just the breakneck speeds but some of them think they're entitled to flouting the rules like cyclists. They seem to think that traffic lights don't really count for them and that footpaths are there for them when some streets are inconveniently one-way against them or too busy with traffic.
Horray.. a new group of road users for SoundY to concentrate his ire on

I'd suggest you organise an EGM for your Concerned Geriatrics Against Cycling Group and rebrand as ANGST

the Angry Nimby Geriatrics Scooter Taskforce

Finns corner with the anoraks and clipboards :lol!:

In theory anyway. But to register one for road use you need a certificate of conformity, which most of them don't have

Regardless of the type of bike, its speed or whether it requires a push start, the rules are as follows:
  • If it can be powered by mechanical or electrical power alone (i.e., it can continue without you pedalling or scooting it) then it is considered to be a ‘mechanically propelled vehicle’ (MPV).
  • Under road traffic law if an MPV is used in a public place it is subject to all of the regulatory controls that apply to other vehicles i.e., it must be roadworthy, registered, taxed and insured.
  • The driver of the vehicle must hold the appropriate driving licence and is obliged to wear a crash helmet.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Cork's Primetime Comedy Show
The Roundy, Castle St.

15th Jun 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..

The Longest Johns

Cyprus Avenue, Tomorrow @ 7pm

More events ▼