EIR Paper Bills

Does anybody actually challenge the breakdown of the cost here ? 6 quid to send a letter . The postage is what ? Lets say a euro ? The paper and envelope and ink, lets say another euro, and thats being generous! Where is the other 4 euro per letter coming from exactly ?

Yes.

You can switch to email/sms billing and avoid it.

Does anybody actually challenge the breakdown of the cost here ? 6 quid to send a letter . The postage is what ? Lets say a euro ? The paper and envelope and ink, lets say another euro, and thats being generous! Where is the other 4 euro per letter coming from exactly ?
According to comreg, if the customer cannot receive an electronic bill, they must be issued with a paper bill free of charge
"Service providers may issue alternative billing mediums to their customers if they can guarantee that the customer can access and use the alternative medium. If they cannot guarantee this, they will issue a paper bill. Alternative billing mediums can include a bill being provided to you electronically (by e mail) or on-line.
If a customer cannot access the alternative billing medium, (for example because the customer does not have broadband access or cannot use an on-line service), the service provider must issue the customer with paper bills free-of-charge."
Source: https://www.comreg.ie/faq/what-formats-can-i-expect-to-receive-my-bill-in/
Interesting what the regulator will say.

A human(s) needs to be employed to print the letter and/or manage that process (someone gotta stick paper and ink in the printer), physically put it into the envelope (or at least oversee a machine doing it, and said machine costs money to buy and maintain), and someone needs to physically bring it to An Post to get it into the postal system so it can be transported to your nearest sorting office by truck and then hand delivered by a human to your door.

Or a computer can email your bill automatically.

It's 2022, m8. Sign up for the email.

It comes to a hell of a lot less as they would probably get a big reduction for bulk postings (I'd imagine 60c would cover the postage).

A human(s) needs to be employed to print the letter and/or manage that process (someone gotta stick paper and ink in the printer), physically put it into the envelope (or at least oversee a machine doing it, and said machine costs money to buy and maintain), and someone needs to physically bring it to An Post to get it into the postal system so it can be transported to your nearest sorting office by truck and then hand delivered by a human to your door.

Or a computer can email your bill automatically.

It's 2022, m8. Sign up for the email.
You do realise how things operate in bulk ?
Also i would be very surprised if all new equipment/processes were being used.

If they printed 1000 letters at 6 quid a pop, is it costing them 6 grand per those 1000 letters ? Not a chance.

I have worked in places where they have dedicated bill printers and franklin machines for such instances . They are designed for bulk so the paper is bought in bulk as is the ink, and it’s not top of the range stuff either.

It seems like this cost is a deterrent more than anything.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Old Moderns
Clancys, 15-16 Princes St.

5th May 2024 @ 10:00 pm
More info..

115 Jazz Jam Sessions

115 Café And Wine Bar, Today @ 9pm

More events ▼