Dog acting like a dog problem

I gave in after a sustained campaign by everyone in the house and we got a dog about 3 months ago. She is a Cockapoo rescue/re-home and arrived 4 months old, trained. So all of that has been great and to be fair she has been a great addition to the house, brilliant fun and great for the kids

She also never made a sound for the first while but as she has relaxed she has begun to fancy herself as a guard dog and barks the house down at everyone that passes the front of the house, knocks on the door, delivers post, workers she can see in someone else house etc.. basically acting like a dog! Its become a right pain in the hole for working at home as it disrupts calls/Zoom meetings etc. My missus bought this spray thing to distract and stop the barking but it doesn't work, so the latest talk is a collar that stops barking. Do these things actually work?.. it sounds ridiculous but if it works she might avoid becoming an outdoor dog

I gave in after a sustained campaign by everyone in the house and we got a dog about 3 months ago. She is a Cockapoo rescue/re-home and arrived 4 months old, trained. So all of that has been great and to be fair she has been a great addition to the house, brilliant fun and great for the kids

She also never made a sound for the first while but as she has relaxed she has begun to fancy herself as a guard dog and barks the house down at everyone that passes the front of the house, knocks on the door, delivers post, workers she can see in someone else house etc.. basically acting like a dog! Its become a right pain in the hole for working at home as it disrupts calls/Zoom meetings etc. My missus bought this spray thing to distract and stop the barking but it doesn't work, so the latest talk is a collar that stops barking. Do these things actually work?.. it sounds ridiculous but if it works she might avoid becoming an outdoor dog
I'm in exactly the same situation.
Let the dag be a dag. They need a bit of loving if they're a rescue. Don't put the dag out if it's sleeping indoors now as it will not have a clue why it's situation has changed and will probably bark even more.

I'm in exactly the same situation.
Let the dag be a dag. They need a bit of loving if they're a rescue. Don't put the dag out if it's sleeping indoors now as it will not have a clue why it's situation has changed and will probably bark even more.
She is getting plenty of loving, the kids have a new best buddy and its the dog the missus has wanted for about 15 years! She got about 5km walk this morning along the sea front so she is well looked after but the barking is becoming a nightmare.

I wouldn't put her outside other than work hours to be fair, she puts herself in the crate at night and that's it until the morning so I wont be disrupting that!

Pic!!!

Goodman yourself on the rescue. I love dogs, rescued a few myself.

As hard as it is, you need to show a dog who's the boss. Pups look for hierarchy, right now she thinks she is top dog.

When she barks, a light touch on the arse and with pointed finger repeat NO twice.

Stern voice needed. It's either that or it's back to the pound where she'll probably be put down.

And leave her sleep inside by night. It's not a farmyard sheep dog.

Routine routine routine. Dog is for life. Had my last two for 16 years.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Bernard Casey (Local Gossip) and Guests
City Limits, Coburg St.

22nd Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Tony Roberts

The Welcome Inn, Tomorrow @ 10:30pm

More events ▼