Does anyone on here drive an Electric Vehicle??

Ya, you're right, an electric car is a pure pipe dream...

130510073830-tesla-model-s-sales-chart-620xa.png

I mean it's light years behind combustion engine because it's so new... I mean what was the first thing could run on battery power reliably and how long ago was it...

U995_2004_1.jpg

Tesla is like the Prius

Quoting figures on here from the US is irrelevant.

The reason?

Diesel powered cars are far more efficient than battery powered ones. And in markets like the US diesel isn't as widely available which creates an artificial market for novelty cars like the Tesla

And seeing as we're comparing Tesla to BMW sales in the US:

Despite the media and fan-boy hype, Tesla has dropped to 5th in monthly US electric vehicle sales rate. This time, the car to pass it is indeed stealing customers from the Tesla Model S' target demographic.
In the month of August BMW’s new i3 electric vehicle (EV) passed the Tesla Model S in US sales. One year ago Tesla was one of the top-selling EVs in the country. It has now dropped to 5th in year to date US EV sales. BMW, on the other hand introduced its i3 to the US market just four months ago. After its initial ramp up, it hit its stride this month and nearly doubled the sales rate of the Tesla Model S.
- See more at: http://www.torquenews.com/1083/bmw-s-i3-just-latest-ev-blow-past-tesla-us-sales#sthash.IEUyIWhd.dpuf

And seeing as we're comparing Tesla to BMW sales in the US:

Despite the media and fan-boy hype, Tesla has dropped to 5th in monthly US electric vehicle sales rate. This time, the car to pass it is indeed stealing customers from the Tesla Model S' target demographic.
In the month of August BMW’s new i3 electric vehicle (EV) passed the Tesla Model S in US sales. One year ago Tesla was one of the top-selling EVs in the country. It has now dropped to 5th in year to date US EV sales. BMW, on the other hand introduced its i3 to the US market just four months ago. After its initial ramp up, it hit its stride this month and nearly doubled the sales rate of the Tesla Model S.
- See more at: http://www.torquenews.com/1083/bmw-s-i3-just-latest-ev-blow-past-tesla-us-sales#sthash.IEUyIWhd.dpuf

Fair point, which is why they released the D. I didn't know how old elec vehicles really were, this is fascinating:

The world's very first Porsche was uncovered in remarkably good condition — in a shed in Austria (via The Atlantic Cities).

The act of automotive archaeology took place in January.

The "Egger-Lohner electric vehicle, C.2 Phaeton model," or P1 for short, was designed and built by Ferdinand Porsche himself, first hitting the streets of Vienna on June 26, 1898.

A little over a year later, in September 1899, Porsche demonstrated the power of his new model with a first-place finish at the International Motor Vehicle Exhibition in Berlin.

Though it may look a lot like a horse-drawn carriage, the P1 was an electric car. Its "octagon" motor could travel up to 50 miles at a time, hitting a maximum speed of about 22 miles per hour. According to Porsche, the engine could deliver 3 horsepower during usual performance with bursts of up to 5 horsepower as it reached its maximum speed.

...The entire vehicle weighed some 3,000 pounds and relied on more than 1,000 pounds of battery.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/very-first-porsche-found-in-shed-in-austria-2014-10#ixzz3G6g4ZcOh

s14_0021.jpg

I am little scared of slow speed of electric vehicles.

I heard that those vehicles needs extra maintenance and care and their life have little less than other fuel vehicles. Is it true?

I heard that those vehicles needs extra maintenance and care and their life have little less than other fuel vehicles. Is it true?

They need less maintenance. Electric motors usually require almost no maintenance whatsoever, and as they require far less cooling and gearing, there are few mechanical and hydraulic components to go wrong.

The batteries die reasonably easily though. 5 years is likely to be the average lifetime, which is an improvement over normal Lithium Ion batteries that you'd have in phones and laptops.

Speed of electric vehicles?! The last issue you should have! No gears or pistons to worry about, way easier to get speed out of an electric motor.

http://www.independent.ie/business/...on-electric-car-charging-system-30674460.html

There are almost twice as many charge points as there are electric vehicles in Ireland, new figures have revealed.

This is despite ESB having spent over €10m on installing charge points nationwide and the State paying out over €2m on a grant scheme for electric vehicles.

The Government had initially aimed to have ten per cent of all vehicles on the roads be electric by 2020, a projected 230,000 vehicles.

So far, between 2010 and the end of August 2014, just 644 electric vehicles have been registered.

New figures released by ESB reveal that the semi-state organisation has spent €10.1m on national charging infrastructure, and has installed 1,200 publicly-accessible charge points nationwide.

Meanwhile, the Department of Communications, Energy and Natural Resources has spent €2.26m since 2010 paying out 482 grants under an electric vehicle grant scheme, with a further 35 payments pending.

The figures come after a recent report from the Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland said that we will not meet the 2020 target for electric vehicles. The Energy in Transport report found that in a best-case scenario 50,000 electric vehicles will be running in six years.

The Department of CENR defended the sluggish sales, with a spokeswoman saying that although the take-up of electric vehicles had been slower than originally anticipated it "has been largely consistent with the experience elsewhere in Europe".

She added: "EVs are more expensive than similar standard models and this is thought to also have contributed."

Stephen McNally, President of the Irish Hotels Federation, said that there has not been enough interest by customers to merit installing charge points in most hotels, saying that nationwide demand had been slower to materialise than originally expected.

However, he added: "If demand were to increase, hotels would certainly support a greater roll-out."

Sunday Indo Business

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Sprints
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

25th Apr 2024 @ 7:30 pm
More info..

Colm Murphy

St. Peters Cork, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼