Directly Elected Mayors

I liked your post and wondered what you would think of having a kind of local government for Munster and the other provinces that would be responsible for planning and policy for their region/province .Decentralise the power away from Dublin.
Generally I'm in favour of anything that allows for self determination. Regional power structure makes loads of sense but I'm not sure id think so If I was from Waterford or Clare

It'll be a real live question if when a border poll comes to pass. Stormont will be retained with some devolved powers. The nordies will be bleating for money and Dublin and London will be happy to keep them happy

What'll happen in Cork/Limerick/Leitim/where ever we can't get money to fix the footpaths as it is

Generally I'm in favour of anything that allows for self determination. Regional power structure makes loads of sense but I'm not sure id think so If I was from Waterford or Clare

It'll be a real live question if when a border poll comes to pass. Stormont will be retained with some devolved powers. The nordies will be bleating for money and Dublin and London will be happy to keep them happy

What'll happen in Cork/Limerick/Leitim/where ever we can't get money to fix the footpaths as it is
Tipp O Nell wanted a govenment in each provence with a central one in Dublins. Seem like layers of red tape

Tipp O Nell wanted a govenment in each provence with a central one in Dublins. Seem like layers of red tape
That depends on how you design it. Plenty of states run a federal system. Germany, US, Switzerland. Plenty of states have strong local government. Like France where each town has a mayor who had a budget and can directly improve people day day experience when it comes to transport, sanitation etc.

Right now we have a council who can hide behind an executive. An executive who can hide behind central government and central government who can hide behind state bodies (NRA, HSE, NTA etc) better i think to keep the local stuff local.

The original smiddy report recommended a combination of city and county. I think this would have been a great outcome because cork has the industry, population and geography that could mean it could stand more on its own two feet. You could market and develop the region under one authority and prevent the County eating the citys lunch (Mahon point, carrigtwohill shopping village etc) and inprove transport links to Mallow, Clon, Bandon etc

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Tombstome presents: Darsombra plus guest Magic Pockets
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

30th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..
More events ▼