De Tunnel

Directing all city bound and Eastbound traffic into one lane before the tunnel was causing tailbacks at 12 yday. I can only imagine the carnage at rush hour.

There's still lights in operation at the 'interchange', making freeflow a non starter.

They shouldn't have opened this when it clearly wasnt ready.
It is work in progress, what were you expecting some sort of a Utopian immediate solution was it ?

The M8 Link to the N25 is free flow, it comes off the M8 a good 500 meters back before the M8 stops st the existing Dunkettle roundabout, that was one of the links that opened on Sunday morning, no lights on that one sunshine, so yes it is a free flow.

As regards the N40 to N25 East, it begins at a still active and controlled roundabout, where traffic coming from and to the N8 ( as in the road to/ from Tivoli direction ), also has to be controlled.

What would your solution be here genius ?

It is work in progress, what were you expecting some sort of a Utopian immediate solution was it ?

The M8 Link to the N25 is free flow, it comes off the M8 a good 500 meters back before the M8 stops st the existing Dunkettle roundabout, that was one of the links that opened on Sunday morning, no lights on that one sunshine, so yes it is a free flow.

As regards the N40 to N25 East, it begins at a still active and controlled roundabout, where traffic coming from and to the N8 ( as in the road to/ from Tivoli direction ), also has to be controlled.

What a boring old fart you are, waffling on about a road, are you a train spotter too?

You need to calm down m8.

Have you driven it yourself yet?

People travelling north through the tunnel are being directed to the left hand land before the tunnel entrance (City and Eastbound traffic), this is causing lengthy tailbacks.

Lights still in operation at the far side mean the congestion is still in play at the Dunkettle roundabout.

If the free flow element travelling north isn't yet in place then what they've done makes little sense. Putting in place changes that are adding 30,40 mins to peoples journey is poorly executed traffic management.

You need to calm down m8.

Have you driven it yourself yet?

People travelling north through the tunnel are being directed to the left hand land before the tunnel entrance (City and Eastbound traffic), this is causing lengthy tailbacks.

Lights still in operation at the far side mean the congestion is still in play at the Dunkettle roundabout.

If the free flow element travelling north isn't yet in place then what they've done makes little sense. Putting in place changes that are adding 30,40 mins to peoples journey is poorly executed traffic management.
I need to calm down, I am always calm.

Have I driven through Dunkettle since last Sunday you mean ?

Absolutely I have, I experienced no issues whatsoever. I went through the tunnel from the Mahon side and just after where the Mahon Northbound slip joins the N40, I ensured I was in the left lane there for the N25 East, as per the lane instructions both on the overhead gantries and on the lanes themselves.

I did of course notice quite a lot of morons changing lanes within the tunnel and indeed on the hill up to the roundabout, idiots like these have the effect of slowing down traffic by leaving it too late.

Again I ask you, you are moaning about traffic lights on the roundabout that are still in operation.

What would you suggest so for the following movements;

1. Traffic from the M8 wanting to access Tivoli and the Lower Glanmire Road ?

2. Traffic from the N8 coming from the Tivoli side that needs to access the tunnel ?

I look forward to your response there.

In the meantime the contractors are progressing quite well with the overall project

Of course they are far from complete and are now working on addressing both of the issues I raised above.

They being :

1. Traffic coming from the M8 and wanting to access Tivoli will eventually be filtered East Bound on that new ( M8 - N25 E ) slip to the new Western Little Island Bridge, where upon it will be guided back onto the N25 West at that point and straight up to Tivoli from there.
The remaining traffic on the M8 will proceed straight down to the tunnel and onto the N40 South.

2. Traffic coming from the Tivoli direction needing to access the N40 will use a slip road, that can now be constructed, as that slip road is where traffic used to join the N25 E up until last Sunday morning.

See it is not a simple project, with simple solutions that morons like to put forward.

There is a bigger picture here but all muppets can do is moan and groan.

This project still has at least another 12 months ahead of it, so it is far from complete

But again, if people could use their brains it would of course be different.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Hank Wedel
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

13th Sep 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..
More events ▼