De Irish Times 'all men are bastards' thread

A tiny minority are in the media, no one here is saying it.

It is far from the most prevalent opinion out there, and the constant insistence by some on this forum on making it the most important issue in the context of what has happened in the last week is frankly bewildering.
Imagine if at the time of the tragic violent death of a man at the hands of a woman, someone posted some desparaging and crass remarks about ALL women. Do you think it would be printed in a national newspaper, or aired on national airwaves. And in the extremely unlikely event that it was, try to imagine what the reaction of women would be.

You know I gave three reasons for that, right?

You are saying it is the victims fault for not pressing charges. If that's the view you want to take then fine. It's shitty in the extreme, but fine.

Also, I have asked you a number of times to stop calling me dear. It's creepy and annoying. Why do you insist on ignoring my wishes?

I didn't say the withdrawal of the complaint by the victim was the only reason. What was "shitty in the extreme" was you trying to have a pop at me for victim blaming when you know that wasn't what I was about, because you're having your @rse handed to you on these threads. But hey, you're a legalista, and that profession isn't exactly known for it's high morals so I can take it. To paraphrase someone else, if you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and only the pig will enjoy it.

Why do I insist on ignoring your wishes? This is a message board with toing and froing, banter over and back. You've called me plenty over the years and accused me in the wrong of plenty too. That's how these boards work. I'd suggest if you can't stand the heat you'd stay out of the kitchen only you might think it a sexist remark and go off on one again ;)

Imagine if at the time of the tragic violent death of a man at the hands of a woman, someone posted some desparaging and crass remarks about ALL women. Do you think it would be printed in a national newspaper, or aired on national airwaves. And in the extremely unlikely event that it was, try to imagine what the reaction of women would be.
There are so many disparaging and crass remarks made about women on social media that I would think I would hardly notice.

There are so many disparaging and crass remarks made about women on social media that I would think I would hardly notice.

There's ALWAYS disparaging and crass remarks made about everyone (not just women) on social media. That's not what I was talking about and you well know it. I'm talking about on national newspapers, and on the national airwaves, including the national broadcaster. They surely should be at a higher standard than the mire that is social media.

I didn't say the withdrawal of the complaint by the victim was the only reason. What was "shitty in the extreme" was you trying to have a pop at me for victim blaming when you know that wasn't what I was about, because you're having your @rse handed to you on these threads. But hey, you're a legalista, and that profession isn't exactly known for it's high morals so I can take it. To paraphrase someone else, if you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and only the pig will enjoy it.

Why do I insist on ignoring your wishes? This is a message board with toing and froing, banter over and back. You've called me plenty over the years and accused me in the wrong of plenty too. That's how these boards work. I'd suggest if you can't stand the heat you'd stay out of the kitchen only you might think it a sexist remark and go off on one again ;)
You didn't, but you blamed the victim for it. It's right there in black and white.

Interesting that your approach to a woman asking you not to do something is to say that you will continue to do it and it is the woman's issue to either accept it or leave. Very instructive to be honest.

You didn't, but you blamed the victim for it. It's right there in black and white.

Interesting that your approach to a woman asking you not to do something is to say that you will continue to do it and it is the woman's issue to either accept it or leave. Very instructive to be honest.

Interesting but not surprising that your approach on a message board is that, despite deliberately misconstruing what someone has posted, despite calling other posters names, despite ignoring the facts, you think that you should be entitled to special treatment from others here because you're a woman doing it (rather than presumably a bloke).

Seriously Matlock, park your Girl-Power ideology for even a moment, and have a read back over what you've written in recent days, and I think you'll be embarrassed.

What about the unfairness in division of:

Cutting the grass,
Putting the bins out,
Power-washing the patios,
Treating the outside timbers each year,
Lighting the fire,
Cleaning out the fire,
Fixing stuff generally in the house that breaks,
Unblocking drains,
Bleeding the rads,
Painting,
Organising other tradesmen when needed (more often than youd think),
Work longer hours,
Bringing kids to sports,
Maintain the cars,
Bringing to mechanic when needed,
Defrosting freezer,
Tuning tvs whenever they get scrambled,
Changing bulbs,
Sweeping paths,
Trimming hedges,
Bringing stuff to recycling,
Arguing the toss on PROC,
Cleaning out gutters...
I could go on and on and on.

This is just some of the stuff my wife never has to worry about doing. Same would apply to 90% households avross the country.

I would HAPPILY rather spend that time with my kids, minding them, if roles were reversed.

Be careful what you wish for!

But, just to re-state, I am apparently a worthless peice of shit according to to the media over the past week. This is the message i have continually been hearing.
You really need to grow a pair m8.

Interesting but not surprising that your approach on a message board is that, despite deliberately misconstruing what someone has posted, despite calling other posters names, despite ignoring the facts, you think that you should be entitled to special treatment from others here because you're a woman doing it (rather than presumably a bloke).

Seriously Matlock, park your Girl-Power ideology for even a moment, and have a read back over what you've written in recent days, and I think you'll be embarrassed.
Not special treatment at all.

If someone asked me to stop calling them something then I would, cos that is the decent thing to do. You don't see it that way, that's fine.

I could see how a woman would withdraw a complaint against the man she and her children have to live with both for her own and their safety.

I could see how a woman would withdraw a complaint against the man she and her children have to live with both for her own and their safety.
To be honest, it is very often a safer strategy to go for a domestic violence order. So lets say the guards are called to a domestic. They advise the victim to press charges and to go get a barring order.

A barring order is likely to fix the immediate problem far more effectively than a conviction will. Often even a safety/protection order is sufficient.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Jackie Fabulous (Americas Got Talent) Plus Guests
City Limits, Coburg St.

3rd May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Light and Shade

Crawford Art Gallery, Today @ 10am

More events ▼