Cyclists

So you can't comprehend the 2 rules coming together? Hang up the keys kid.
Rules of the road don't support what you said.
I didn't think they did but even when I prove it to you, you won't accept it.

As I said, we all have to use the road - your adversarial attitude to motorists leads to danger - in the same way that punishment passing leads to danger. Mutual respect and a to be and we all arrive safely.

Do you not understand that the motorist does not have the right to pass the cyclist the right to pass the cyclist on that stretch?
I understand that a motorist would find it difficult to pass a cyclist safely on the stretch of road.
As for the right to do it per the rules of the road - nothing in the rules of the road says they can't.
Certainly not he road markings.

At a stretch the "SHOULD" in the rules of the road to "give a little more space for a lot more safe" (pg 54 if you're interested) says that a driver who attempts to pass there should give extra space when overtaking a cyclist, as they may need to avoid uneven road surfaces and obstacles. As a driver I interpret that to mean, if I can't pass them safely I shouldn't. It doesn't say I am not allowed.

By the way you keep making this about rights and us v them and you were the one using the rules of the road in your argument. Like the other individual everyone should have the expectation to be able to travel on the roads and get from a to be safely, by travelling with due care and attention towards all road users.

You seem to think cyclists get to pick and choose.

Last edited:
Do you not understand that the motorist does not have the right to pass the cyclist the right to pass the cyclist on that stretch?
Your view that the cyclist had priority in this case as he had established position and was not unduly nor intentionally interfering with other vehicles is not the comment that you are being asked to defend, most here agree with you that the cyclist was within their right to be where they were on this particular occasion

A comment was made that the rules of the road states that this roadmarking gives cyclists priority wherever it is present, this is not the case.

Last edited:
There maybe an engineering issue here, it is a pinch point.
I feel it is safest if the City Council just scrub away the Cycle lane lines here, so that cyclists may then pay more attention and perhaps hold back before charging into this lane.

The entitled attitude will be gone and the likes of our Righttobike character might just discover some common sense.

The cyclist does not have to pull in to let the motorist pass, the motorist does not have the right pass if there is no room. Adding these 2 rules together indirectly gives the cyclist priority.

and adding two apples and oranges together gives you what? you’re not exactly comparing daddy long legs with moths, m8. they both operates at night, both have four wings it both have different objectives when it comes to night flying.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Kisses, Juozas (NC) [Baltic Film Festival]
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

20th Apr 2024 @ 5:00 pm
More info..
More events ▼