Cyclists

Why the fuck is there a bike symbol in the middle of the road then?? Do you not understand signage on a road??

While it might have been courteous of JG to pull in and let the entitled motorist to pass, JG had every right to cycle in the lane as he did. The bike symbol indicates cycling priority.
Don't see anything wrong with what he did in that vid tbh except maybe going too fast? But then I don't cycle anywhere near the amount he does so he's probably comfortable with it. He does a lot wrong but not in this case. He often will take those videos down. There's one in particular I saw a while back where he fly's into a shared pedestrian crossing. No idea if it's still up or not.

Don't see anything wrong with what he did in that vid tbh except maybe going too fast? But then I don't cycle anywhere near the amount he does so he's probably comfortable with it. He does a lot wrong but not in this case. He often will take those videos down. There's one in particular I saw a while back where he fly's into a shared pedestrian crossing. No idea if it's still up or not.
He's an absolute knob looking for twitter hits, i'm embarrassed for him but as you said, he had every right to do what he was doing, a bit of motorist education might be in order?

As for speed, he's fit and well able. I see no issue with it. Speed is subjective on a bike I guess.

He's an absolute knob looking for twitter hits, i'm embarrassed for him but as you said, he had every right to do what he was doing, a bit of motorist education might be in order?

As for speed, he's fit and well able. I see no issue with it. Speed is subjective on a bike I guess.

I'd agree with you apart from the 40Kph speed on that road. I think it inappropriate for a bike to be doing that speed there. The motorist was dead wrong to beep him there and would've been a lunatic to try overtake.

I'd agree with you apart from the 40Kph speed on that road. I think it inappropriate for a bike to be doing that speed there. The motorist was dead wrong to beep him there and would've been a lunatic to try overtake.
Ok for a car to do but not a bike? Would it be ok for a motorbike to do 40kph? Same risks as a cyclist really, I don't see logic to that argument. I think you're underestimating the ability of the cyclist. I've hit 90kph on my bike when I was younger. Wouldn't do it now but back then, I was training a lot and was very well able to handle the bike.

Saw a lady (not bad looking as it happens) cycling up George's Quay this morning, she was the one wearing double denim and had a fabric rucksack, with one hand on her handlebar and the other on her phone while she carried on a phone-conversation. Further up, on Sullivan's Quay she was in the cycle lane, but travelling the wrong way, and a couple of cyclists using the cycle lane in the correct direction were actually having to stop to let her pass. She then turned right over SouthGate bridge and stopped (completely blocking the cycle lane for others) as she wanted to write a text.

Her sense of entitlement was a wonder to behold. 😇
She may have been guiding a junior doctor through a life saving procedure tbf.

Why the fuck is there a bike symbol in the middle of the road then?? Do you not understand signage on a road??

While it might have been courteous of JG to pull in and let the entitled motorist to pass, JG had every right to cycle in the lane as he did. The bike symbol indicates cycling priority.
It was more of a technical discussion there that you latched onto.
No need to get all upset now.

Ok for a car to do but not a bike? Would it be ok for a motorbike to do 40kph? Same risks as a cyclist really, I don't see logic to that argument. I think you're underestimating the ability of the cyclist. I've hit 90kph on my bike when I was younger. Wouldn't do it now but back then, I was training a lot and was very well able to handle the bike.

Jeebus. 90Kph on a bicycle? I've very seldom gone on motorbikes either. Just don't think they're very safe modes of transport tbh. And certainly not at 90kph.

40Kph in a modern car with airbags and good protection I'd feel a hell of a lot safer.

Climbing ladders you're trained to have 3 points of contact at all times. Cars have 4 points of contact with the road. Bicycles and Motorbikes just 2. Not as safe imho

Jeebus. 90Kph on a bicycle? I've very seldom gone on motorbikes either. Just don't think they're very safe modes of transport tbh. And certainly not at 90kph.

40Kph in a modern car with airbags and good protection I'd feel a hell of a lot safer.

Climbing ladders you're trained to have 3 points of contact at all times. Cars have 4 points of contact with the road. Bicycles and Motorbikes just 2. Not as safe imho
Yes, a bit mad but it was exhilarating. Good road surface is essential and yes, I was wear my helmet. I'd do it again if I was on one of the roads in the alps as the surface is good and you can see what's coming up. Some TDF cyclists hit 130km going downhill. Sam Bennett can cross the line in a race accelerating to more than 70kph on the flat, insane power. He's no tdf wannabe, he won the green jersey last year in the tdf and he learned his trade on Irish roads.

Fair enough if you think 40kph is too fast, each to their own I guess. I'd easily hit 40kph on the flat, that's what i'm used to I guess.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Best Of Irish Comedy
The Roundy, Castle St.

12th Jul 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..

DJ Ian Richards

Crane Lane Theatre, Today @ 11pm

More events ▼