Cyclists

well I've had a few encounters with people in recent times about cycling on the footpath when it never was the case a few years ago. I found myself almost getting into a scrap with a man but luckily for him he saw the light and backed down ;)
So it is a real problem out there nowadays and I do take it seriously

Were you the guy on a bicycle with a helmet and cycling shorts and a hipster beard on NorthMain street the weekend before last? If that was you I'm the pedestrian who wouldn't get out of your way and made you get back onto the road. And I certainly didn't back down from you :)

Still within his own lane? The f**ker neither slowed nor indicated and passed within inches of the ambulance.
And see when a motorist overtakes or changes lane, he looks in his rear-view mirror to ensure its safe to do so - something that guy on the bike didn't bother doing either.

If you honestly think he did nothing wrong in that manoeuvre then there's little point in trying to discuss it. Have another look.

The cyclist is on his side of the road, he doesn't need to indicate. And the ambulance is stationary.

In the still for the video you can see the white line to the cyclists right and also oncoming traffic.

The driver has to cross over the white line to pass so he should slow and prepare to stop to yield to oncoming traffic while indicating.

Trying to navigate earth???? Who talks or even thinks like that :roll:

Yes we all think that we've enough experience to know what's best - until something happens! Thankfully I've never had an accident on a bike and only one decades ago in a car. But that poor cyclist that died near Ballincollig the other day had plenty of cycling experience.

Have a wee think about that!

Discretion is the better part of valour when you're on a bike on a road with bigger and faster vehicles.

again with the patronizing attitude. Obviously an accident can happen to anyone, anywhere, anytime through events and actions outside of our control. I've been very nearly knocked off my bike twice by cars so don't give me that crap

Were you the guy on a bicycle with a helmet and cycling shorts and a hipster beard on NorthMain street the weekend before last? If that was you I'm the pedestrian who wouldn't get out of your way and made you get back onto the road. And I certainly didn't back down from you :)

I never wear a helmet and never wear lycra. I do agree cyclists shouldn't be acting like entitled pricks on the footpath and should always give peds the way

You should change your handle to Hardman :lol:

According to a thread on boards, there are two conflicting laws.

https://www.boards.ie/b/thread/2057083503

On the one hand, the motorist should not cross a traffic lane without yielding to traffic in that lane, on the other hand a cyclist should not overtake on the inside of a car indicating left.

In Germany, the cyclist has the right of way, whether or not there is a cycle lane.

Im not sure how there is conflict - the car has to cross the bicycle lane to turn left, therefore it should yield to a bicycle there. Any decent driver will indicate, check their inside mirror and only proceed if the lane is clear. If a cyclist is flying down the lane and would hit your car turning unless they brake, then stop and wait until they are through - its all pretty obvious

It is the same process as when you are driving on a motorway and catch up with the car ahead.. do you just pull out regardless or do you check your mirror, make a judgement on what is in the outside lanes and what speed they are doing, and then proceed once it is clear and safe to do so?

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Nora Brown and Stephanie Coleman
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

13th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Peader O Callaghan

Dwyers Of Cork, Today @ 9:30pm

More events ▼