Cyclists

Was driving along Sullivan's Quay approaching the traffic lights which were red at the South Gate Bridge. On my right there's a cycle lane going East. On my left there's a footpath. Some STUPID cyclist bitch, on a Cokebike (presumably from the stand by Forde's Pub) proceeds to cycle eastwards on the footpath causing a pedestrian, walking west, to step off the footpath. Yon bint cycled on without a care in the world, oblivious to the danger she was selfishly exposing the pedestrians to. Thankfully traffic was slowing for the red light anyway but I doubt that cyclist bitch even knew or cared about the inconvenience and possible danger she was putting others in

I was driving along the M8 this morning just past the toll and I passed a young lady doing approx 110km/hr (wouldn't ride her into battle, BTW). I was doing 120km/h. So I hardly sped past her. Coming up on the slip from Watergrashill I was maybe 1-2m in front of her and trafic was merging about 500 m ahead. She decides to floor it and attempts to swerve in in front of me, then realises its probably not a very intelligent thing to do so swerves back into the slow lane and nearly takes out the merging traffic instead. To which she promptly sat on her horn (fnarr) and made a charming gesure in my direction. Which was nice.

From this incident I've now decided that all drivers (including myself, of course) are complete dicks that shouldn't be on the road.

Or maybe its just wimmin?

Honky - you should probably look away now but I witnessed yet another gormless cyclist this morning cycling West out Washington Street.

He was in the cycle lane which though nominally is for East travelling cyclists but is wide enough to easily cope with two abreast so I've no problem at all with his cycling west in the lane.
But when he came to the junction with Woods Street and the vehicles all on his left were all stopped for the red light, he cycled past them and on up the cycle lane. This gormless manoeuvre caused a guy coming from Lancaster Bridge to have to slam on his brakes and he was almost rear-ended by the car behind him in the junction. Still the cyclist went on his merry way oblivious to the near accident he caused.

"Shur don't I always cycle this way - other road users should know that" seemed to be his attitude.

Then I was on the Dunkettle roundabout. Lights went green, cars went through (after allowing all the other langers that ran the red lights on the other side off, obviously). Lights go amber, cars still go. Lights go red. Cars keep going. Meanwhile the lights on the other side go green so the process repeats again for them. etc.

This further re-enforces my point above that al drivers are dicks that shouldn't be on the road.

Then I was on the Dunkettle roundabout. Lights went green, cars went through (after allowing all the other langers that ran the red lights on the other side off, obviously). Lights go amber, cars still go. Lights go red. Cars keep going. Meanwhile the lights on the other side go green so the process repeats again for them. etc.

This further re-enforces my point above that al drivers are dicks that shouldn't be on the road.

Yeah, you and another bloke seem to be suggesting that people should be made walk or cycle. All fine and dandy til you see what some of the cycle Nazis get up to even if someone else on a bike overtakes them. Lycra langers!

Honky - you should probably look away now but I witnessed yet another gormless cyclist this morning cycling West out Washington Street.

He was in the cycle lane which though nominally is for East travelling cyclists but is wide enough to easily cope with two abreast so I've no problem at all with his cycling west in the lane.
But when he came to the junction with Woods Street and the vehicles all on his left were all stopped for the red light, he cycled past them and on up the cycle lane. This gormless manoeuvre caused a guy coming from Lancaster Bridge to have to slam on his brakes and he was almost rear-ended by the car behind him in the junction. Still the cyclist went on his merry way oblivious to the near accident he caused.

"Shur don't I always cycle this way - other road users should know that" seemed to be his attitude.

SoundY, if I listed every motorist I saw doing stupid shit this thread would need be far from the top. I cross the city in the morning and again in the evening, each day without fail I will see at least 20 cars/busses etc break the lights and race across junctions putting everyone at risk. It has got to the point where it is now the exception at any junction I am waiting at that the lights will not be broken by at least one car, and it is generally 2 or 3. I am only referring to the red light as well btw, as ODLL pointed out earlier you are supposed to stop at the amber light.

The danger cyclists pose is generally to themselves, the danger a car or bus poses is exponentially more... and whats worse is you are going nowhere anyway bar head first into the traffic on the other side of that junction

Yeah, you and another bloke seem to be suggesting that people should be made walk or cycle. All fine and dandy til you see what some of the cycle Nazis get up to even if someone else on a bike overtakes them. Lycra langers!

You know you're not allowed cycle on the M8, M8? Or any motorway for that matter. For a lad that gets so vexxed about the rules of the road you don't seem too, *ahem*, up to speed on them yourself.

Plus, I tend to keep my lycra wearing to when I'm doing my weekend warrior cycling oblivious in the middle of a N road thang on the weekend.

Cool story bro

At the city end of south link waiting for the lights to change. They go from red to green and the cars at the top of the two lanes just about to pull forward when some loonball on a bicycle decides to hurtle from right to left across the two lanes and the filter lane heading towards Anglesea Street. Lucky boy not to have been splattered.

Youngster going to school this morning doing a wheelie on his bike on the footpath

Driving down Anglesea Street some cyclist decides to weave in and out of slow moving traffic - there's a double lane exclusively for cyclists on the right going in both directions but no - this lycra langer wanted to show he still has the right, nay the duty, to weave in and out of lanes amongst motorized traffic. Needless to say that by the time he got over to Paddy the Farmers he went right through a red light and up Southern Road. You can just imagine the look of surprise that'll be etched in his face when he finally splatters himself on some vehicle or other having taken one chance too many

Last edited:
And when he does splatter himself just wait for the weeping and gnashing of teeth from the Lycra mafia. Motorists, 10m passing out distance, won't someone think of my GPS journey app on my Gear Fit.

At the city end of south link waiting for the lights to change. They go from red to green and the cars at the top of the two lanes just about to pull forward when some loonball on a bicycle decides to hurtle from right to left across the two lanes and the filter lane heading towards Anglesea Street. Lucky boy not to have been splattered.

Youngster going to school this morning doing a wheelie on his bike on the footpath

Driving down Anglesea Street some cyclist decides to weave in and out of slow moving traffic - there's a double lane exclusively for cyclists on the right going in both directions but no - this lycra langer wanted to show he still has the right, nay the duty, to weave in and out of lanes amongst motorized traffic. Needless to say that by the time he got over to Paddy the Farmers he went right through a red light and up Southern Road. You can just imagine the look of surprise that'll be etched in his face when he finally splatters himself on some vehicle or other having taken one chance too many

and what happened then? you can't just leave a cool story like that hanging, bro

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Old Moderns
Clancys, 15-16 Princes St.

5th May 2024 @ 10:00 pm
More info..

Colm Murphy

St. Peters Cork, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼