Cyclists

Ok, so there are some with flaws, how about the ones which don't have flaws yet are ignored at tge expense of both the cyclists safety and that of other road users?

Not some, most.

if not forcing crazy long detours, you'll find cycle paths are within range of car doors, crossing driveways where cars pull out quickly, crossing roads in positions that require you to stop every 100 metres, on poorly maintained or too narrow footpaths, or with "cycle calming" measures that in the worst cases require you to lift your bike over barriers.

At least 50% of the time, it is far faster and safer to ignore the cycle path and just use the road.
Seriously, the rate is that high in my experience. And Reading is considered a reasonably cycle friendly city...

Not some, most.

if not forcing crazy long detours, you'll find cycle paths are within range of car doors, crossing driveways where cars pull out quickly, crossing roads in positions that require you to stop every 100 metres, on poorly maintained or too narrow footpaths, or with "cycle calming" measures that in the worst cases require you to lift your bike over barriers.

At least 50% of the time, it is far faster and safer to ignore the cycle path and just use the road.
Seriously, the rate is that high in my experience. And Reading is considered a reasonably cycle friendly city...

So the overall opinion is, safety be damned, convenience is king. Unfortunately it's a prevailing attitude in cyclists in general, and none of you see the problem with it.

At least I'll be kept in a job I guess

So the overall opinion is, safety be damned, convenience is king. Unfortunately it's a prevailing attitude in cyclists in general, and none of you see the problem with it.

At least I'll be kept in a job I guess

No. Current law is that failing to use cycle lanes is illegal. I think that considering that how dangerous many cycle paths are, that's a crock of shit. I have a choice between the safety of me and pedestrians or breaking the law. I frequently choose to opt for safety over legality.

So you're completely wrong on your assertions.

No. Current law is that failing to use cycle lanes is illegal. I think that considering that how dangerous many cycle paths are, that's a crock of shit. I have a choice between the safety of me and pedestrians or breaking the law. I frequently choose to opt for safety over legality.

The Highway Code

https://www.gov.uk/rules-for-cyclists-59-to-82/overview-59-to-71

Cycle Routes and Other Facilities. Use cycle routes, advanced stop lines, cycle boxes and toucan crossings unless at the time it is unsafe to do so. Use of these facilities is not compulsory and will depend on your experience and skills, but they can make your journey safer.

Use of cycle lanes is not compulsory and will depend on your experience and skills, but they can make your journey safer.

The UK Dept of Transport general advice notice used to be:

Ride at a sensible speed for the situation and ensure you can stop in time. As a general rule, if you want to cycle quickly, say in excess of 18 mph/30 kph, then you should be riding on the road.

In Ireland they changed the law so thankfully there's no legal obligation to use the bloody things.

Organ donors my uncle (a cabbie) calls them. You'd want to have a few screws loose to go cycling in a city, disaster waiting to happeb

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Sweet East (NC)
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

30th Apr 2024 @ 6:00 pm
More info..

The Hollyz

Cantys, Tomorrow @ 10pm

More events ▼