Cyclists

As a driver I can't honestly say I notice anyway whether a cyclist is wearing a helmet. I certainly don't think oh they have a helmet on I don't need to be as careful.

That's just me but I'd be interested to know if it's a conscious decision anyone else makes (if they'll admit it) or whether like me they don't really notice

HHB, at 7 in the morning, with no reflective clothing on, nobody will see if someone has a helmet on or not. Do you think children should wear helmets?

It's not just high-vis the amount of cyclists that use lights that aren't bright enough, either because they're cheap or the battery is almost dead, is staggering. They might as well not bother

"I don't trust the research that says cyclists take risks because it's not what I do!" very scientific that is. + he's looked at the subject from a driver's psychology point of view, not any accident data.

I would actually expect helmets to increase head injury rates, but that would be a good thing.

But you oppose all compulsory cycling safety efforts, which is daft and selfish, like smokers opposing smoking restrictions
No, I don't.
Cycling without lights at night is incredibly reckless and should be penalised.
Ditto jumpijg traffic lights, albeit, I don't consider jumping pedestrian lights to be a major issue, but making exceptiojs is difficult.
So your characterisation of my position is quite wrong.

As a driver I can't honestly say I notice anyway whether a cyclist is wearing a helmet. I certainly don't think oh they have a helmet on I don't need to be as careful.

That's just me but I'd be interested to know if it's a conscious decision anyone else makes (if they'll admit it) or whether like me they don't really notice

Nobody said you have to realise you were making allowances, thats the point - its a subliminal thing

What would worry me about cyclists is the amount of nervous ones and the bike schemes have exacerbated that hugely, but anyone on these bikes will tell you that it is noticable how much more careful drivers are around you when you are cycling one of those as opposed to your regular bike.. so drivers clearly do adjust for the situation around them

Nobody said you have to realise you were making allowances, thats the point - its a subliminal thing

What would worry me about cyclists is the amount of nervous ones and the bike schemes have exacerbated that hugely, but anyone on these bikes will tell you that it is noticable how much more careful drivers are around you when you are cycling one of those as opposed to your regular bike.. so drivers clearly do adjust for the situation around them

Nobody can or can't make allowances if you can't see them in the dark.

No, I don't.
Cycling without lights at night is incredibly reckless and should be penalised.
Ditto jumpijg traffic lights, albeit, I don't consider jumping pedestrian lights to be a major issue, but making exceptiojs is difficult.
So your characterisation of my position is quite wrong.

If I'm misunderstanding your position it's because you're making it very unclear. So lights should be compulsory, that's a start. Do you think lights should be used at all times, like motorcyclists tend to? How would you go about punishing cyclists who jump red lights and don't use lights? How about high-vis? Should children be allowed on busy main roads? How about cyclists who use the road when there's a concurrent cycle lane available?

You're against insurance, so you think it's ok for innocent motorists to be punished for the actions of reckless cyclists, do you not believe in personal responsibility?

If I'm misunderstanding your position it's because you're making it very unclear. So lights should be compulsory, that's a start. Do you think lights should be used at all times, like motorcyclists tend to? How would you go about punishing cyclists who jump red lights and don't use lights? How about high-vis? Should children be allowed on busy main roads? How about cyclists who use the road when there's a concurrent cycle lane available?

You're against insurance, so you think it's ok for innocent motorists to be punished for the actions of reckless cyclists, do you not believe in personal responsibility?

I have no idea why, but here goes:

Lights are compulsory once it is dark. Cyclists lights would have little or no effect during the day as they are simply not powerful enough, unless you are suggesting that all bikes must have big lamps like a motorbike would have

Cyclists are punishable for jumping red lights in the same way cars are. Cyclists can have points put on their driving licence and a fine of approx €100 is given to all

You define children as under 16, so yes they should be allowed on busy roads .. but only because of your ridiculous age stance

Bike lanes are used by all of the cyclists I witness every day, you are concentrating on one bend near you and insisting this is the rule. There is one lane in Dublin city centre which I refuse to use because it is so stupidly planned it is actually dangerous, so no I am not going to use it just because. Either way, it is rich of the govt or the Gardai to lecture anyone right now on the use of cycle lanes as they are really inadequate and badly planned. A propoer network would be welcomed and used by every cyclist I know.

Maybe I just don't know enough about bikes but I wouldn't have a clue what type of bike someone is riding either. I can only speak for myself, I don't think it's even a subconscious thing, I react the same way with every bike I see, I think the only time I'd change is if I saw a young child or someone I'd question should be cycling on a main road. To be honest you don't generally get the time to decide how you're going to react to cyclists in a given situation, not in the rush hour anyway, you're either a responsible driver or you're not.

Maybe I just don't know enough about bikes but I wouldn't have a clue what type of bike someone is riding either. I can only speak for myself, I don't think it's even a subconscious thing, I react the same way with every bike I see, I think the only time I'd change is if I saw a young child or someone I'd question should be cycling on a main road. To be honest you don't generally get the time to decide how you're going to react to cyclists in a given situation, not in the rush hour anyway, you're either a responsible driver or you're not.

heres a Dublin Bike Scheme bike.. you couldn't possibly not notice here

5ABD1F23B24744D7847562C26863C416-500.jpg

Last edited:
EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Sprints
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

25th Apr 2024 @ 7:30 pm
More info..

Easter Beer Festival

Franciscan Well Brew Pub, Tomorrow @ 1pm

More events ▼