CSN Halcyon Days.

Anybody remember some of the other ‘characters ‘ on the CSN staff back in the 70s…People like Br Liam ( Brolly), Br Eugene ( Jeep), ‘ Harry’ Hegarty or the History teacher Tom Cooney??
Liked Jeep. Always seemed in good humour. Harry was violent & utterly bonkers. He'd be dragged out in handcuffs if he tried to teach now. Didn't Cooney have a drink problem? They put him in charge of sorting the library out one year when I was there- to give him a rest from the pressures of teaching!

Mick was grand if you were good at Maths, which I wasn’t.
He had a vicious temper on him and went around wearing a white coat so he wouldn’t get chalk on his jacket.
He used to sing the theorems some days or say then in Irish. Oddball.
Mick Moynihan - two memories standing out - enforcing 7 pages ruled in advance in our copybooks... He would conduct a few checks a year, with throwing you out of class if not done. One of these checks had 21 of us or so thrown out of class.... That one backfired :)

The other side was his temper and severe dislike of certain students in his class.. Late 80s - Remember one particular belting he doled out - (open hand in fairness - but full force),,, Parents called, but Mick still in a job..

Mick was grand if you were good at Maths, which I wasn’t.
He had a vicious temper on him and went around wearing a white coat so he wouldn’t get chalk on his jacket.
He used to sing the theorems some days or say then in Irish. Oddball.
Fuckin looper that guy- I was decent at maths until Gunther tbe cunt stepped in
Stripped me of what little confidence I had in myself ref maths- some teachers couldn’t teach
Different world altogether now thankfully
My youngest aims to be a teacher and excelled in CSN - loved his teachers and vice versa
His old headmaster ( still involved in the presentation bros some way)
Told him next time he sees him he wants it to be as a teacher- 🤞🤞🤞

Grossly unfair of him- Declan Davis( daffy) was and is an utter gentleman- soft guy akin to the other loons we had
Exactly DD still training soccer teams well into his 80s. Daffy a real example of what a teacher is always put students needs in front of his own. While Cotter was grand for the laughs a really sad and shallow individual who should never have been let near the education system.

Jeep was a nervous wreck, used to smoke fags incessantly and had the shakes.
Cooney liked his pint and spent the class writing on the board and even on the wall if he’s no space on the board. A violent streak in him too.
One of the lads got in trouble with Gunther one day. Gunther was laying into him and the boy says “ I’m sorry Mr Gunther, I won’t do it again.” He thought his real name was Gunther!! Gunther went nuts!!
Some laugh.😁

Cooney liked his pint and spent the class writing on the board and even on the wall if he’s no space on the board. A violent streak in him too.
One of the lads got in trouble with Gunther one day. Gunther was laying into him and the boy says “ I’m sorry Mr Gunther, I won’t do it again.” He thought his real name was Gunther!! Gunther went nuts!!
Some laugh.😁

Jeep was brilliant maths teacher. Him and RAM were last two brothers I think.

Liked Jeep. Always seemed in good humour. Harry was violent & utterly bonkers. He'd be dragged out in handcuffs if he tried to teach now. Didn't Cooney have a drink problem? They put him in charge of sorting the library out one year when I was there- to give him a rest from the pressures of teaching!
🤔
Tom Cooney seemed very dry but he was a very decent sort. He used to correct and give back homework quickly when I was in his class so I don't think he had a drink problem then. When I reached 18, he seemed to frequent a certain bar in Bishopstown daily. I wasn't in there daily mind but staff there used to chat to me about other customers knowing that I wouldn't go around mouthing off

Last edited:
Mick Moynihan - two memories standing out - enforcing 7 pages ruled in advance in our copybooks... He would conduct a few checks a year, with throwing you out of class if not done. One of these checks had 21 of us or so thrown out of class.... That one backfired :)

The other side was his temper and severe dislike of certain students in his class.. Late 80s - Remember one particular belting he doled out - (open hand in fairness - but full force),,, Parents called, but Mick still in a job..
🤔
I was ok at Maths and made a decent effort at the difficult parts. I did my best. That's what MM wanted. If you didn't put in the work though then you were on his radar.
He did have a temper which terrified some students (exclude me) and prevented them from making the most of their abilities.
Late 1980s: If the parents had instructed a solicitor, MM would have been in big trouble. Maybe he apologized and the parents left it at that.

M Moynihan was a very good teacher imho but what i remember about him is the Hard covered copy books and ruling the pages, Killer Kennedy well able in my time to use the stick,Collins i think it was in science class 1 day throwing the duster at a student who ducked and the duster broke a pain of glass.Collins blamed the student for ducking

Some laugh.😁
😂
Good job he didn't say "Mr Cock"!

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Low-key Funny
The Roundy, Castle St.

15th May 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..

Robot Dreams (G)

Triskel Arts Centre, Today @ 6pm

More events ▼