Cork u20 Hurling 2023

Very enjoyable second half. Cork really stepped up the work-rate without the ball, Healy and Keating in particular were very dogged up the pitch and the defenders got on top as the half progressed. Special mention to Darragh O'Sullivan - a lot of ball came into his corner, he was out in front for pretty much every one and if he didn't win made himself a nuisance all the same.

Saunderson's puck-outs were solid. In general there were far fewer attempts to run the ball from defence, and the forwards thrived on the more direct approach. The FF line probably still isn't quite as dangerous as would be ideal, but Ross O'Sullivan did well when he came in. Buckley is a Rolls-Royce of a player - picks up a lot of breaks by reading the play so well, has a nice turn of pace and lovely balance on the run, and his decision-making is superb (the wide he shot from out by the sideline was notable because it was probably the wrong choice to shoot from there).

I thought the ref did better than some other posters are making out. Generally let it flow and seemed to treat both sides evenly enough.

Lastly, great to see Ben Cunningham becoming a leader for this team. Takes responsibility in shooting, and most of the time his decisions are correct. He also seems better able to act as a target for puck-outs than last year.

Very enjoyable second half. Cork really stepped up the work-rate without the ball, Healy and Keating in particular were very dogged up the pitch and the defenders got on top as the half progressed. Special mention to Darragh O'Sullivan - a lot of ball came into his corner, he was out in front for pretty much every one and if he didn't win made himself a nuisance all the same.

Saunderson's puck-outs were solid. In general there were far fewer attempts to run the ball from defence, and the forwards thrived on the more direct approach. The FF line probably still isn't quite as dangerous as would be ideal, but Ross O'Sullivan did well when he came in. Buckley is a Rolls-Royce of a player - picks up a lot of breaks by reading the play so well, has a nice turn of pace and lovely balance on the run, and his decision-making is superb (the wide he shot from out by the sideline was notable because it was probably the wrong choice to shoot from there).

I thought the ref did better than some other posters are making out. Generally let it flow and seemed to treat both sides evenly enough.

Lastly, great to see Ben Cunningham becoming a leader for this team. Takes responsibility in shooting, and most of the time his decisions are correct. He also seems better able to act as a target for puck-outs than last year.
Your first few lines are spot on. I thought the backs were second to all the fast ball in the first half...constantly behind their men and Limerick made hay. Different second half though. I imagine that was one of the things that they got a good bollocking on at half time.

A great win to dig out. Important too to knock Limerick out and keep chipping away at the aura around Limerick hurling currently. We can't let them build a dynasty a la Kilkenny 2000-2015.

Thought the ref was a complete homer although Ben O Connor deserved his red. The ref correctly blew Cork for numerous frees only for Limerick to commit the same offence and no free forthcoming.

I'd still be worried that there is a few passengers on the team who only play in patches but there is definitely a few guys there with senior potential. Mullins the wingback and O Sullivan the corner back have impressed me no end all year, that's on top of the usual suspects like Cunningham, Downey, Buckley, Wilk etc.
Dywer from Ballincollig is another I see potential in.

One bedbug of mine is Ben Cunningham coming back into his own half to hit frees. I'm yet to see him put one over and would much rather have a defender take them and have Ben in on the edge of the square for them or else just let Saunderson hit them and see if he's more accurate over the 80 yards+

Pity about Ben O Connor jr and the rugby but best of luck to him. A professional sports career is most boys dream. Can I be selfish and say I won't shed a tear if he fails at rugby and can come back hurling.

Ben O Connor Sr was spitting venom during the game and again afterwards in his interview. I love to see that. Every top player carrys some chip on his shoulder and you could see that in Ben's interview afterwards. Fierce driven.

Who do lads fancy to win the semi? Clare gave Cork a better game then Tipp but Tipp look to have improved over the last few weeks and really had Cork in desperate bother for about 25 mins. So I'll tip Tipp to get to the final.
Brendan Cummins crafty and cunning either way we need to put tonight to bed huge celebrations on the line etc...nothing won yet but its great to have the two weeks now to prepare and as Ben O Connor senior said to get plenty more hurling into Ben O Connor junior .

The final 10 minutes of the game were as savage, intense and tense as I've seen in an U20 game.
The speed and ferocity of our lads in the closing stretch was unreal.
Especially given we'd already qualified, to want it even more than a team who were fighting for their lives, just to kill off that team for the year....it' a beautiful trait in a team 😀
If that is embedded in this group they are going places.

Christ, that O Sullivan from Ballinhassig is a serious operator. Really top class defender and has plenty hurling. Unfortunately don’t see him as a senior prospect. Couldn’t see him matching up physically with a senior forward but could be wrong

Unless I’m mistaken this Cork u20 team was demolished by Limerick at minor level. Shows the brilliant development that has occurred in between. Unreal depth in this panel with many promising prospects all over the field that will be pushing the seniors hard next year. Lastly, Ben O C spot on in his interview about the U20s
Donal Og shouldn’t be getting many management gigs after what he did to this team at minor level….

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Linda Fredriksson Juniper
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

14th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Comedy Cavern: Fin Taylor

Coughlan's, Tomorrow @ 9pm

More events ▼