Cork u20 Hurling 2023

The balance among the forwards is tilted way too much towards tippy tappy players with very little physicality / hard graft apart from Walsh
There's something in that alright, especially considering that at this time of year the weather and ground will place a premium on strength in tackling, breaking tackles and winning ball. Of the players on the bench last night, one or two of O'Leary, Keating and maybe Cremin could be used to balance the forwards.
Does anyone know if Adam Walsh or Ben Nyhan are part of the panel?

We don’t want hurlers in cork that go through the player. We like hurlers that’ll take the long way around. Big men don’t fit our speed and running around opposition players approach in cork. We are 18 years and counting for a reason

Anyone know if Cork have only been training on the 4G in recent weeks with all the rain we've had?
Reckon it could've had an impact on their touch last night as they are very different surfaces, especially when the condition

There's something in that alright, especially considering that at this time of year the weather and ground will place a premium on strength in tackling, breaking tackles and winning ball. Of the players on the bench last night, one or two of O'Leary, Keating and maybe Cremin could be used to balance the forwards.
Does anyone know if Adam Walsh or Ben Nyhan are part of the panel?
Nyhan played in the challenge match against Wexford.

While it was great to get the win on a bad night against a pumped up Waterford side after coming from 6 points down, I think most people left the stadium a little underwhelmed by that performance. We definitely need to up our game for the rest of the round robin. It looks like Limerick and Clare are very strong at this level. I was not surprised they drew the other night as both teams are strong on paper. There's never a bad Tipp underage team either so that game next week is vital.

I hope Ben and Co. learn from the game as I feel a few switches may be needed before the next game. He will either trust the starting 15 from last Wednesday or make the few changes necessary v Tipp. While Ross O' Sullivan scored a sweet point in the first half, he was out of the game. He is still young. I think Eoin O' Leary has to come into the full forward line for size and experience alone. Jack Leahy looked really small and light at this level. Hopefully he fills out in the next year or two. Still has the potential to put on some scores.

Ben Cunningham is a great prospect but I think a lot of people are building him up too much. He still has selfish tendencies especially when the better option might be a pass. While he didn't have his greatest games, he still scores 7 points, 2 from play so I will hold out hope.

I was surprised that Brian Keating didn't start. I was very impressed by his performances for the seniors in pre-season. He could be the workhorse we need in midfield.

I understand that Timmy Wilk is only coming back from injury but I would definitely have him in our defence, if up to speed. I think Eoin Downey has to be kept at centre back on this team as this is where he can be most influential.

Realistically Kevin Lyons and Ben O Connor won't be back until late into the Munster Championship so hopefully we'll be still in the hunt at that stage.

I think the 1st team in the round robin is straight through to the Munster Final and 2nd and 3rd place play off in a semi final, so a win v Tipp would almost guarantee our place in the top 3. The game v Tipp is vital as it will be a hard task to go to Limerick or Ennis for a must win game.

It's a win. It was great to come back from 6 points down to win by 4 but a big improvement is needed if we are to contest for Munsters and All Irelands.

Killyoursons

Adam Walsh opted to concentrate on hurling with his club only at least for this year and AFAIK Ben Nyhan is still involved with the squad, both underage again next year.

bluesball

They were well beaten by Limerick, actually received a good hammering and that was with Kevin Lyons, Ben O'Connor and Brian Keating playing, 9 of the team who started that day also started last Wednesday night. In stating that 6 played the following year in 2021 when no county came within 10 points of Cork in any game as they won the Munster and AI, one would think Cork should be much better than the perfomance v Waterford but we have the Ben O'Connor rugby senario, the injuries to Lyons, Keating, Wilk and Tobin in particular who are all physical players among others and John Ahern (Dungourney) hasn't been involved under successive managements which is mind boggling but nobody seems to know why. Note there's an overlap of a few players that started both years and Sean Daly wasn't on either team. It isn't a good omen that Cork were so obsessed with the posession game Wednesday night when conditions were very poor, they have to be far more direct and huge improvement is required if they are to defeat Tipp not to mind the 2 away games.

Killyoursons

Adam Walsh opted to concentrate on hurling with his club only at least for this year and AFAIK Ben Nyhan is still involved with the squad, both underage again next year.

bluesball

They were well beaten by Limerick, actually received a good hammering and that was with Kevin Lyons, Ben O'Connor and Brian Keating playing, 9 of the team who started that day also started last Wednesday night. In stating that 6 played the following year in 2021 when no county came within 10 points of Cork in any game as they won the Munster and AI, one would think Cork should be much better than the perfomance v Waterford but we have the Ben O'Connor rugby senario, the injuries to Lyons, Keating, Wilk and Tobin in particular who are all physical players among others and John Ahern (Dungourney) hasn't been involved under successive managements which is mind boggling but nobody seems to know why. Note there's an overlap of a few players that started both years and Sean Daly wasn't on either team. It isn't a good omen that Cork were so obsessed with the posession game Wednesday night when conditions were very poor, they have to be far more direct and huge improvement is required if they are to defeat Tipp not to mind the 2 away games.
That's a pity about Adam Walsh. Hopefully Wilk and Keating will be available next week having each had a run-out.

While how a team does at minor gives clues as to how they should be expected to perform at U20, I wouldn't read too much into it either. Cork's 2021 U20 team were well beaten by Limerick at minor but turned it around in that year's Munster final. Anyway, before Cork meet Limerick they will play Tipp, who will be fielding seven of the starting team who beat Cork last year.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Earlier Show
The Roundy, Castle St.

27th Jul 2024 @ 6:30 pm
More info..
More events ▼