Cork Senior Football 2023

Newcastlewest beat clonmel in Munster semi final. Says a lot about Nemo & cork football. Joke shop.
If you actually followed games you'd know not to make such a ridiculous statement. Newcastlewest are a very solid and experienced team. They ran Nemo to 3 pts in 2019 in Munster and Nemo were stronger then if you ask me too. They have Ian Corbett and Cian Sheehan who are 2 outstanding county players, both Allstar nominees. I think if they are switched on they have a very good chance of winning this final against Rahillys.

Nemo over-celebrated winning the Cork title I think it's fair to say, had hurling 7 days before Clonmel game and were very dead and beaten by a team that were on fire on the night. It's not much if anything to do with Cork football as a whole but if anything I'd say the Barrs are kicking themselves for only playing for 10 mins of Cork final.

If you actually followed games you'd know not to make such a ridiculous statement. Newcastlewest are a very solid and experienced team. They ran Nemo to 3 pts in 2019 in Munster and Nemo were stronger then if you ask me too. They have Ian Corbett and Cian Sheehan who are 2 outstanding county players, both Allstar nominees. I think if they are switched on they have a very good chance of winning this final against Rahillys.

Nemo over-celebrated winning the Cork title I think it's fair to say, had hurling 7 days before Clonmel game and were very dead and beaten by a team that were on fire on the night. It's not much if anything to do with Cork football as a whole but if anything I'd say the Barrs are kicking themselves for only playing for 10 mins of Cork final.
Make all the excuses u want, it’s a fuckn joke and we thinkin we are a serious dual county. O rahillys are very beatable , prob worst Kerry reps. In years. Down the grades we can make excuses over club structure etc but at senior level we have no excuse. Nemo made Clonmel look like all Ireland contenders .

If Cork GAA was serious about Cork football, they would copy the Kerry football championship structure.
Tier 1 - premier senior - 8 senior club teams plus 8 divisions. Kick out MTU and UCC to remove players from outside Cork.
Tier 2 - 16 intermediate clubs
Tier 3 - 16 Premier Junior
The rest - different grades of junior run by divisions.
Any player not a member of one of the 8 senior clubs can play with their division - some divisional boundaries would probably have to be redrawn - a few western Carbery teams joining Beara.
Run a senior club championship and separate county senior championship including the divisions as they do in Kerry
All intercounty players (senior, underage and aspiring) should be encouraged to play with their division (if not from one of the 8 senior clubs)
A major problem with both the premier senior hurling and premier senior football championships is too many of the best young players and intercounty players are playing outside the premier grade (Same applies to hurling). The divisions are the only way to get all the best players in the county playing in the blue-ribbon championship that would be worth winning. The clubs can have a club championship followed by a premier senior football championship that every player in the county had a chance of playing in.
The CEO seems to think a minimum of 3 championship games is enough meaningful games - it is not half enough. A minimum of 3 meaningful games is a pity from a development point of view. The Kerry structure gives a minimum of 6 meaningful games to club players and divisional players guaranteed to play games 3 and also with their club teams.
Play the football championship on same weekends as hurling. The dual player at club level is becoming unfeasible. If a club player wants to player hurling and football on the same weekend - so, be it. Serious football and hurling counties are not messing around with this dual agenda. Cork may have a tradition of being a dual county, but Cork's tradition is doing nothing for us at intercounty level in either code. The hurling snobs in the county will tell you we are a hurling county so we would be doing them a favour if they didn't have to play football and could play more hurling.
County management would be looking at players interested in football and playing at a higher standard than the current premier county championship and playing more games.
Currently 3 teams are streets ahead of the rest. It's a joke.

Make all the excuses u want, it’s a fuckn joke and we thinkin we are a serious dual county. O rahillys are very beatable , prob worst Kerry reps. In years. Down the grades we can make excuses over club structure etc but at senior level we have no excuse. Nemo made Clonmel look like all Ireland contenders .
Not making excuses, just stating facts.

If Cork GAA was serious about Cork football, they would copy the Kerry football championship structure.
Tier 1 - premier senior - 8 senior club teams plus 8 divisions. Kick out MTU and UCC to remove players from outside Cork.
You do know that UCC and MTU are affiliated GAA clubs, you can't just kick them out.

Just dropping in to point out 3 of the last 4 Munster provincial wins have gone to Cork 👍

Not that Cork football is in an amazing place but neither is it dead and buried as some might suggest.

Our club football has well outperformed the club hurling for the last decade

On the Brian Hayes talk , I actually heard another story today about him , Ozzie rules are on the radar , its prob just a story , silly season in all that. Its a pity he actually cant do both.

I think the current structure is just fine. The grades have all nearly levelled out and you have a lot of very competitive games in all grades.

I don’t think it’s fair to compare ourselves to other counties. We have a way more clubs than any other county in Ireland and therefore we have more grades.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Damien Dempsey
Live At The Marquee, Showgrounds, Ballintemple

8th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

3 Of A Kind

Dwyers Of Cork, Tomorrow @ 10pm

More events ▼