Cork Senior Football 2023

Team for next year of the top of my head..
Martin
Ryan Shanley O Donovan
Powter Meehan McGuire
I McGuire O Hanlon
C O Callaghan C Corbett B Hayes
Sherlock Hurley O Mahony
I can’t take any team that doesn’t include Liam O’Donovan seriously. People have had and will have a go at my Clon bias, but all club loyalty aside there is no way that a fit LOD doesn’t start for Cork. He’s one of our best players and will prove that this year, he’s a nailed on starter.

Can’t agree with Sam Ryan, very good sticky corner back but he’s seriously raw as a footballer, no problem at club level but doesnt have the ball skills to thrive at intercounty level.

I can’t take any team that doesn’t include Liam O’Donovan seriously. People have had and will have a go at my Clon bias, but all club loyalty aside there is no way that a fit LOD doesn’t start for Cork. He’s one of our best players and will prove that this year, he’s a nailed on starter.

Can’t agree with Sam Ryan, very good sticky corner back but he’s seriously raw as a footballer, no problem at club level but doesnt have the ball skills to thrive at intercounty level.
I’ll agree with you here Fox, a fit Liam O D goes in first into every full back line we could put out

Posting or even debating the strength of a Cork first 15 for next year is a bit of a fools errand. Despite the fact that there are some fine footballers being mentioned; Ian McGuire, Powter, Hayes, Connolly, Sherlock etc, its far more important to consider the best 25 to 30 players in the county.

There isn't a hope that Cork have the strength in depth to be taken seriously at the top table. The stated plan under Keith Ricken was rebuilding, that shouldn't change & it will take time.

There's an undeniable & durable element of delusion amongst the Cork football faithful that Cork are still a force. They are not.

It will take a few years for the new club grading system of Junior, Premier Junior, etc up to Premier Senior to start to produce a quality club game at all grades. The cream will rise in time & rightly so.

Combined with appropriate resources & coaching appointments at County level there is no reason why Cork football can't set out a 7 to 10 year plan to be competitive at the top level.

Expecting 15 decent club players to carry the can next year is wishful thinking in the extreme.

Daniel O Mahony has to be in the full back line.Ryan no where near intercounty standard.Maguire not great either Brian O Driscoll will also be in the half back line.

Despite the fact that there are some fine footballers being mentioned; Ian McGuire, Powter, Hayes, Connolly, Sherlock etc, its far more important to consider the best 25 to 30 players in the county.
Powter is the only one of those who would make the starting 15 in a top 5/6 team (Kerry, Dublin, Mayo, Galway, Tyrone, Armagh). Brian Hayes couldn’t even make the team last year, I rate him as a great prospect but he has work to do to be a considered a solid intercounty footballer.

Yes strength in depth is a problem but so is the quality of starting 15 and better players. Both things need to improve drastically.

Not a hope in hell.
Brian O'Driscoll will be starting Half back for Cork in the First round of Championship or
Cleary would not have brought him back.
Liam o'Donovan should be concerned wirh maintaining some form of fitness and staying Injury free.
You don't rate Brian Hayes yet he is playing in his 2nd County Final, how are we to judge players on.

Your little Clon Delusion was slighty funny , now its becoming weird.

Brian O'Driscoll will be starting Half back for Cork in the First round of Championship or
Cleary would not have brought him back.
Liam o'Donovan should be concerned wirh maintaining some form of fitness and staying Injury free.
You don't rate Brian Hayes yet he is playing in his 2nd County Final, how are we to judge players on.

Your little Clon Delusion was slighty funny , now its becoming weird.
Learn to read my man…exactly the opposite of what I posted about Hayes.

Brian ODriscoll Oirish rugger ledge has as much chance of starting championship for Cork as his namesake from Caheragh. He’ll be eaten alive if he gets league game time, let alone championship. Sticking a few handy points against a thrown together division is a very different ball game to playing half back against Kerry in championship.

What’s really weird is fellas like you getting erect when you hear BOD scored 3 points from play against the worst Duhallow team in years. And thinking he’s turned into James McCarthy all of a sudden.

Posting or even debating the strength of a Cork first 15 for next year is a bit of a fools errand. Despite the fact that there are some fine footballers being mentioned; Ian McGuire, Powter, Hayes, Connolly, Sherlock etc, its far more important to consider the best 25 to 30 players in the county.

There isn't a hope that Cork have the strength in depth to be taken seriously at the top table. The stated plan under Keith Ricken was rebuilding, that shouldn't change & it will take time.

There's an undeniable & durable element of delusion amongst the Cork football faithful that Cork are still a force. They are not.

It will take a few years for the new club grading system of Junior, Premier Junior, etc up to Premier Senior to start to produce a quality club game at all grades. The cream will rise in time & rightly so.

Combined with appropriate resources & coaching appointments at County level there is no reason why Cork football can't set out a 7 to 10 year plan to be competitive at the top level.

Expecting 15 decent club players to carry the can next year is wishful thinking in the extreme.
This is an utterly nonsense timeline for cork to be competitive, which I presume is division 1 and top 4/8 in Ireland.
It’s utterly ridiculous to suggest anything other then a 3 year turnaround for cork to get there from where they are now and any rubbish about 7-10 years should be fucked out the window.
You joined this conversation 4 years too late, no one who understands cork would say they are currently a serious force, they are not, but getting close to the top doesn’t take 7-10 years that’s just excuse making and not sustainable.
Cleary has 3 years and by the end of that cork will be highly competitive again and a division 1 team and it’ll be close to our average all Ireland every 20 years.
I’m also not sure what this top table is? Its Dublin and Kerry and everyone else is behind that, there is a clutch of teams close to it and no reason whatsoever cork can’t get into that group quickly as long as they get the conditioning correct and the injury crises abates somewhat.
Every intercounty player starts as a club player, the management mould train and develop these fellas to intercounty level

Top Table is teams who have won or been consistently competitive in the All Ireland in the last 3 to 5 yrs. Dublin, Kerry, Tyrone, an argument could possibly be made for Mayo.

Will Cork, the biggest county in the Ireland, with the second biggest city & huge number of clubs be winning or consistently competitive in the All Ireland in 3 years? I very much doubt it.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Peppa Pig's Fun Day Out
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

8th May 2024 @ 10:00 am
More info..

Mashed Potatoes

Old Oak, Tomorrow @ 10pm

More events ▼