Cork Minor Hurling 2023

None of the starting 15. Oisin O'Connell who came on for last few minutes is.
With inter county minor at U17 and coming earlier in a player’s development (too early in my opinion) it’s less likely now that you’ll have fellas playing multiple years.
Also, with development squads each year all the ways up along, boys are more ringfenced in to their own age bracket than they were before.
In the past, a 3rd/4th year, 15/16 yr old, might have burst onto the scene, played a couple of brilliant games in Harty and in a blink of an eye he is on the Cork minor team and then for the following years.
Also, in the past a 16 yr old might be doing it with the club adult team and that might get him noticed. That opportunity is gone too obviously.
It’s also less likely that a guy coming from a good or certain gene pool will get the nod last minute when he is 2 years out from minor. The current system is fairer.
I don’t think we will see again the 3 or 4 year Cork minors, maybe the odd 2 year minor.

Last edited:
Ya Carrigaline lad is Meylers lad ,only came into panel a couple of week ago , a late addition apparently . I watched it on Live stream and Waterford forwards were poor with no disrespect to them or Waterford . I think only 6 points from play with 4 only coming from their forwards , Rest were frees , shows Cork backs are tough but took a while to settle , next 3 teams will have alot better forwards and will ask questions . The midfield the same , they were very slow onto break of ball and maybe the occasion got to them . Conor Mac did settle well after game opened up , would love to see him as a wing back on young Walshes side on the overlap. Half fowards started well but of course Walsh is a standout . Murphy and Biggane went out of game in second half and will have to contribute to more scores from play , Biggane did score a great point .
Young meade is a great worker and Barry Flynn is a class above , Finn looks good but did not see much , seems Fraggie has a strong panel and plenty in reserve . When you have 2 players scoring 3-12 between them , its shows your hand as most intercounty teams always have a assigend man marker but it will take a serious hurler to curb these lads , a joy to watch . Cork over all cannot score goals and that is what wins games , goal before half time was a gem and timed well . Fraggie I presume will use training matches to see which 30 or 35 lads are capable in next 3 weeks . He has talent in abundance judging by last nights game .

Good start anyway. I didn't see it unfortunately, and maybe I'm being too cautious, but after what happened last year against Limerick I'd be a little wary. Notable that O'Flynn and Walsh between them scored more than half of Cork's total from play. You'd wonder what would happen if a team could curb them.
I attended last night and although HondaGaels gives us a good report I believe you have every right to be cautious as it appears Waterford are only fair at best and the conditions suited them in the Limerick game as the Treaty boys didn't build much of a winning margin.

The Deise boys aren't that tall but they seem very strong and well built and scored some good long range points but they lacked in skills and teamwork. Oisin Walsh saved well from their only real goal chance in the first half.

Waterford's only good spell was in the 1st half when Cork led by 3 points to zero and Waterford scored 4 points out of 5 to draw level twice. They breached the Cork rearguard a couple of times when they attacked goal but their control broke down, I thought the Cork full-back line looked a bit ropey in that short period but they then settled and when the 2 Barry's got the 1st half goals Cork were never going to be troubled.

Regarding 2 forwards doing the bulk of the scoring there was also a 3 point return from the Cork mid-field and I was impressed in that regard considering 1st choice mid-fielder Jayden Casey wasn't playing. Conor McCarthy is as good a mid-fielder as he is a corner-back, plenty hurling and blessed with pace. I never saw Johnny Murphy and Sean Meade so quiet but they will have better days.

I see the Tipp panel has only one Thurles player on the panel, unusual enough given their underage dominance in Tipp.
Lot of players from smaller clubs which could suggest time has been spent finding the best available in the county regardless of level or club.

Good to see Casey back on the bench. Hopefully he isn't needed tomorrow night and we can give him another weeks recovery but delighted to have him to call on

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
James Keegan
Cyprus Avenue, Caroline St.

28th Apr 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

The Off Beats

Dwyers Of Cork, Tomorrow @ 10pm

More events ▼