Cork Minor Hurling 2023

I don't believe in this size issue, a good hurler should be selected on merit and not because he's big or small. Also these guys have another 2 years growing to do and the year difference from U-18 to U-17 is hugely significant, however a lot of managers and coaches don't seem to think so in the context of their overall development. Even with this obsession on size I still expect only 2/3 in defence of the current Cork minors to be 6 foot or more and another 2 in attack which doesn't include Cork's biggest player Cathal Hallahan who is ruled out at least for the Waterford and Tipperary games.

I expect the team and subs to be along the following lines:

1. Oisin Walsh
2. Oir O'Callaghan 3. Darragh McCarthy 4. Carthaigh Cronin
5. Sean O'Callaghan 6. Ben Walsh 7. Cillian O'Callaghan
8. Jayden Casey 9. Conor McCarthy
10. Barry Walsh 11. Zach Biggane 12. Johnny Murphy
13. Finn O'Brien 14. Barry O'Flynn 15. Sean Meade

Subs: Fionn Murphy, Jake Brosnan, Johnny Galvin, Conor McCarthy ('Barrs), Christian O'Gorman, Ronan Dooley, Patrick Walsh and another 3 players out of David O'Leary, Sean Bresnan, Luke Buckley, Eddie Walsh, James O'Leary, James O'Brien, Brian Lynch and Liam Og Hegarty.

I don't believe in this size issue, a good hurler should be selected on merit and not because he's big or small. Also these guys have another 2 years growing to do and the year difference from U-18 to U-17 is hugely significant, however a lot of managers and coaches don't seem to think so in the context of their overall development. Even with this obsession on size I still expect only 2/3 in defence of the current Cork minors to be 6 foot or more and another 2 in attack which doesn't include Cork's biggest player Cathal Hallahan who is ruled out at least for the Waterford and Tipperary games.

I expect the team and subs to be along the following lines:

1. Oisin Walsh
5. Sean O'Callaghan 6. Ben Walsh 7. Cillian O'Callaghan
8. Jayden Casey 9. Conor McCarthy
10. Barry Walsh 11. Zach Biggane 12. Johnny Murphy
13. Finn O'Brien 14. Barry O'Flynn 15. Sean Meade

Subs: Fionn Murphy, Jake Brosnan, Johnny Galvin, Conor McCarthy ('Barrs), Christian O'Gorman, Ronan Dooley, Patrick Walsh and another 3 players out of David O'Leary, Sean Bresnan, Luke Buckley, Eddie Walsh, James O'Leary, James O'Brien, Brian Lynch and Liam Og Hegarty.
could give there clubs please Corkionan1 ...also who are the dual players ? thank you.

Cillian O’Callaghan at wing back is a horse of a man, played the with Midleton for Harty, has very good ball winning ability and always makes the right decision

Cork1990

Youghal
Liscarroll/Churchtown Gaels, Passage West, Midleton, Aghada, Killeagh, Dungourney, Youghal, Glen Rovers, Killeagh, Charleville, Dromina, Erins Own, Sars, Killeagh.

Subs: Killeagh, Glen Rovers, Eire Og, 'Barrs, Charleville, Douglas, Carrigtwohill, ....Ballincollig, Charleville, Mallow, Mallow, Lisgoold, Cloyne, Youghal, Kilworth.

Cormac Dineen of Inniscarra is another player who could make the panel as cover for corner-back.

The two inter-county dual players I am aware of are Oir O'Callaghan and David O'Leary.

Last edited:
Very surprised to see Oier named as a back, has been a forward/midfielder up through the years. Would be delighted to just see him start!
I agree as I'm a little surprised Cork are playing him as a tight marking corner-back, he usually imposes himself on games further up-field but to give the selectors the benefit of the doubt these matches are of minor B club level compared to the top level of minor inter-county. Apparently Oir O'Callaghan played very well in a challenge v Dublin in Mallow on St. Patrick's Day, Cork won 4-14 to 13 points.

Very surprised to see Oier named as a back, has been a forward/midfielder up through the years. Would be delighted to just see him start!
He has been played at wing forward, midfield, wing back and corner back in the development squads over the last 4 years. Very versatile player but was most effective as a corner back. He's tight, tough, athletic and attacks the ball well and does the simple thing. Good attributes for an intercounty corner back.

Oir is Liscarrol and Dave o Leary is Ballincollig .

1 Oisin Walsh
5. Dave O leary 6. Ben Walsh 7. Cillian O'Callaghan
8. Jayden Casey 9. James o leary ( Lisgoold )
10. Barry Walsh 11. Zach Biggane 12. Johnny Murphy all 6 foot tall or Conor Mac Barrs )
13. Finn O'Brien 14. Barry O'Flynn 15. Sean Meade or Patrick Walsh

Fionn Murphy , Sean o Callaghan , Conor Mac ( Glen ) , Johnny Galvin , Patrick Walsh , Ronan Dooley , Conor Mac Barrs and either liam og Hegarty , Luke Buckley , Christian o Gorman or James o Brien .

A nice sprinkle from Harty Teams :
3 of the backs are Midelton CBS Sean o Callaghan , Carthraigh and Ben Walsh plus Patrick Walsh forward and James O brien who played as 3 rd midfielder with Midelton .
Jayden was injured with Youghal but back and Sean meade . Barry Walsh was injured also but back .
Conor Mac - CBC
Ronan Dooley -Rochestown .
Liam og Hegarty -Colmans and played as a false 11 to cover sweeper .
Cathal Hallahan injured

I wouldn't know a share of those players but that looks like a strong team to me.

Jayden Casey, Ben Walsh and Barry 'O'Flynn are cracking players for this level. Slightly surprised to see Casey in midfield as he seems like a natural forward to me although he played midfield for his club last year.

I must concede I don't know either of the corner forwards tipped to start but if they are keeping Patrick Walsh out of the team they must be very good.

Another few on the team have impressed at schools as well.

Looking forward to seeing them.

Oir is Liscarrol and Dave o Leary is Ballincollig .

1 Oisin Walsh
5. Dave O leary 6. Ben Walsh 7. Cillian O'Callaghan
8. Jayden Casey 9. James o leary ( Lisgoold )
10. Barry Walsh 11. Zach Biggane 12. Johnny Murphy all 6 foot tall or Conor Mac Barrs )
13. Finn O'Brien 14. Barry O'Flynn 15. Sean Meade or Patrick Walsh

Fionn Murphy , Sean o Callaghan , Conor Mac ( Glen ) , Johnny Galvin , Patrick Walsh , Ronan Dooley , Conor Mac Barrs and either liam og Hegarty , Luke Buckley , Christian o Gorman or James o Brien .

A nice sprinkle from Harty Teams :
3 of the backs are Midelton CBS Sean o Callaghan , Carthraigh and Ben Walsh plus Patrick Walsh forward and James O brien who played as 3 rd midfielder with Midelton .
Jayden was injured with Youghal but back and Sean meade . Barry Walsh was injured also but back .
Conor Mac - CBC
Ronan Dooley -Rochestown .
Liam og Hegarty -Colmans and played as a false 11 to cover sweeper .
Cathal Hallahan injured
Cillian O’Callaghan another back of Midleton Cbs, hes about 6”5 savage paw on him

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Cormac Ó Caoimh
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

12th Oct 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Buffalo Soul - Bob Marley Tribute

Cyprus Avenue, Tomorrow @ 7pm

More events ▼