Cork Minor Hurling 2023

AFAIK there is currently a 35 man panel which was reduced from 42 in early February plus an extended panel. There are at least 4 goalies involved which IMO is too many. Also AFAIK on the main 1st squad there are 2 dual inter-county players, how come they are allowed play both this year and weren't allowed play in recent past years?
My understanding is that dual is facilitated where the player is exceptional in both codes

My understanding is that dual is facilitated where the player is exceptional in both codes
My understanding is that there's not a ban per se but it is "recommended" that they focus on one code. Not sure with Minors but I know there is only one left at U16 level playing both. Most picked hurling (there's more glory in it) and I reckon maybe four of those would have made football as well.

My understanding is that there's not a ban per se but it is "recommended" that they focus on one code. Not sure with Minors but I know there is only one left at U16 level playing both. Most picked hurling (there's more glory in it) and I reckon maybe four of those would have made football as well.
You are right I’d say.
I went along to U16 football development football squad game last weekend with a family from our club. Half of the County v the other half. Very worrying experience. Jimmy MCGuinness would be very proud.
I was standing beside a group of parents who actually chatted about this and said that any fella who had a choice picked hurling but most of those are gone from the hurling now and some are back with football..
But it’s important to remember that half of Cork are more football.. and that half, the West/Beara/Mid team were by far the stronger half last weekend even if they played with double sweepers and northern style football.

Since the demise of the dual IC player, It hasn’t been helpful over the last 20 years, especially to football chances at senior IC level that some of our best and most successful underage dual players and the backbone of successful underage teams at football have chosen hurling only when they moved up to adult

JimmyBarrySmurph

I don't believe the 'exceptional' scenario exists and I have no evidence of this even as a possibility. Regarding the players involved with both Cork minor panels this year I will be surprised if one of them makes the hurling team.

The underage coaches and managers seem very much against dual players but there appears to be rules for some and not for others. There isn't a 'ban' but pressure is often put on players to force them on a decision for one code or another at inter-county minor level.

JimmyBarrySmurph

I don't believe the 'exceptional' scenario exists and I have no evidence of this even as a possibility. Regarding the players involved with both Cork minor panels this year I will be surprised if one of them makes the hurling team.

The underage coaches and managers seem very much against dual players but there appears to be rules for some and not for others. There isn't a 'ban' but pressure is often put on players to force them on a decision for one code or another at inter-county minor level.
I do have personal first hand experience of this exceptional scenario with boys in the club.
Guys are now pushed to decide at about age 15 if not earlier.
What Cork said was that if the boy is clearly a very strong prospect and a candidate to be on the hurling and football team he will be facilitated and he was in one case.
Otherwise, they ask the players to put themselves forward for one code. If he doesn’t decide which code then Cork will decide for him.

What actually happens in most cases where a guy is involved in both codes at 15yrs + is that after a while he will maybe struggle a bit in one code and will be dropped down to the B panel in that code.. He usually will pull the plug himself then on that

I do have personal first hand experience of this exceptional scenario with boys in the club.
Guys are now pushed to decide at about age 15 if not earlier.
What Cork said was that if the boy is clearly a very strong prospect and a candidate to be on the hurling and football team he will be facilitated and he was in one case.
Otherwise, they ask the players to put themselves forward for one code. If he doesn’t decide which code then Cork will decide for him.

What actually happens in most cases where a guy is involved in both codes at 15yrs + is that after a while he will maybe struggle a bit in one code and will be dropped down to the B panel in that code.. He usually will pull the plug himself then on that
If thats the case at 15 it's even worse, these players are just playing the 2nd youngest age as teenagers and they're being 'pushed to decide'. The whole carry on has been a joke at minor level for years and if it's now starting at U-15 level the G.A.A. badly needs to adhere to a policy of inclusion for underage dual players instead of biased coaches forcing them to play one code only.

If thats the case at 15 it's even worse, these players are just playing the 2nd youngest age as teenagers and they're being 'pushed to decide'. The whole carry on has been a joke at minor level for years and if it's now starting at U-15 level the G.A.A. badly needs to adhere to a policy of inclusion for underage dual players instead of biased coaches forcing them to play one code only.
Not saying it’s right but all the sports literature and the standard practice globally is that age 15 is about the correct age an elite sports child would specialize in one sport
Considering the schedule intensity, training load and number of games involved, a child playing both at intercounty, club and school is almost impossible and is some family commitment

Last edited:
JimmyBarrySmurph

It's not right because the GAA was always unique from other sporting organisations. Three different sports Hurling, Gaelic and Handball come under the control of the GAA which is not the case with other sporting organisations.

The juveniles are encouraged to train and play both team games from U-6 so the coaches have no right to tell them quit one of them when they are 15. You're correct about the commitment but the players right to choose for themselves is key. Parents should be entitled to influence the decision of a dual player but managers/coaches should not be entitled to same but unfortunately some think otherwise.

Does anyone know how the group is getting on in challenge matches?

I heard that they beat Galway by 6 on Sunday but no more than that.

They defeated Galway by 6 but players missing from both teams. Galway missing more due to schools matches and Aaron Niland was a big loss for the tribesmen.

They defeated Dublin today in Mallow by 13 points 4-14 to 0-13. They also defeated them before by around the same difference.

They drew with Kilkenny 17 points each a few weeks back.

The backs and mid-field have changed a good bit in different matches over time but the forwards have more or less remained the same.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Peppa Pig's Fun Day Out
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

8th May 2024 @ 4:00 pm
More info..

Brian Kenny: Tempus Futurum

Triskel Arts Centre, Today @ 6pm

More events ▼