Cork Minor Hurling 2023

From the article in todays examiner I'm not confident that CCB are going to make things any better next year.

“We all know the U18 grade is an absolute cornerstone of the GAA. We do need an U18 competition [in 2023],” O’Donovan told the meeting.
“It will be a hybrid version. It might have to be short. It might have to be knockout. It can’t be a full program of meaningful games without decoupling. It just can’t. However, I do think there should be a moratorium on decoupling for the full year of 2023.”

Does this mean that they are just proposing to swap the unsuccessful U19 competitions this year to U18 next year?
I would assume U17 would also have to stay as a primary grade so those lads would get a full league and championship structure similar to current formats?

If they do swap then U-18 is better to have because more U-19 players are playing at adult level anyway. The U-19 competition was not a success this year in Cork particularly in hurling. However if congress goes back to U-18 then one would expect the U-19 to become redundant.

Everyone wants u18 back but the problem seems to be smaller clubs also want to be able to play the u18 on their adult team

Would it work to have a different rule depending on grade?

Junior clubs can use 18 year olds but senior/intermediate can't? Or would that be a mess too

Or maybe have a threshold of numbers and make it that if under 18s are eligible then they can only play with the top team at adult level. Also, if a club has 30 players paying membership at adult level then they shouldn’t qualify for using an under 18.
If they can find something that suits the small rural clubs with limited numbers then I'd imagine it will definitely return to u18

Rebel Og have a very simple proposal:

U18s can play adult OR u18 but not both.
Let the clubs decide then.
If they are interested in Long Term Player Development there should be no issues.

Can't understand why lads can't play both minor and adult. I think the whole change up of the minor grade a few years back had been a disaster. I didn't think it was broken so there was no need to fix it. There was no need to tinker with the U21 grade either. U18 and U21 were two fantastic grades that have been greatly diminished.

If its burn out they were worried about then fix the college GAA season to alleviate that. Bring in a rule, no player involved with a college is allowed to play inter county games while his college is still in their respective competition.

If its drop out rates they are worried about, then they need to realise that some lads will drop out regardless of that they do. Why can't minor club games be played on a Wednesday night, all adult games on weekends. No reason why a 17/18 year old can't play 2 club games 3/4 days apart week in, week out for the summer. It would be more enjoyable then training anyway.

Can't understand why lads can't play both minor and adult. I think the whole change up of the minor grade a few years back had been a disaster. I didn't think it was broken so there was no need to fix it. There was no need to tinker with the U21 grade either. U18 and U21 were two fantastic grades that have been greatly diminished.

If its burn out they were worried about then fix the college GAA season to alleviate that. Bring in a rule, no player involved with a college is allowed to play inter county games while his college is still in their respective competition.

If its drop out rates they are worried about, then they need to realise that some lads will drop out regardless of that they do. Why can't minor club games be played on a Wednesday night, all adult games on weekends. No reason why a 17/18 year old can't play 2 club games 3/4 days apart week in, week out for the summer. It would be more enjoyable then training anyway.
The main problem is not the number of games but the training sessions fellas are expected to attend as well. I have two involved with school, club, divisional & county underage squads. Zero joined up thinking. Everyone expecting their team to be the priority. Shower of muppets, don't care that they're burning out the kids.

Lads are allowed to, and do play a year up all the way up to minor. Change minor to U18 and let them play the next age beyond (adult).

What is the idea of the U-16 Championship so late, is it to keep players playing hurling over soccer and rugby? It interferes with players on the Cork minor squad unless they're exempt or can come and go as they please which I don't approve. I believe players in both codes up to inter-county U-16 decided recently between hurling and football for the Cork minor panels but I only heard of one player who chose hurling.

What is the idea of the U-16 Championship so late, is it to keep players playing hurling over soccer and rugby? It interferes with players on the Cork minor squad unless they're exempt or can come and go as they please which I don't approve. I believe players in both codes up to inter-county U-16 decided recently between hurling and football for the Cork minor panels but I only heard of one player who chose hurling.
Think there was some minor final (C3 or something like that) which was delayed and that knocked on to the U16 championships delaying them for 2/3 weeks.
Don't think people are taking it too seriously to be honest. After first round of P1 hurling today the semis are: Sars v Douglas & Glen v Aghada.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Nora Brown and Stephanie Coleman
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

13th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Rebel Frequencies Presents Songsmiths

The White Horse, Today @ 8:30pm

More events ▼