Cork Minor Hurling 2023

U16 Championship (i.e. next year's County minors) starting next weekend. It's straight knockout and not one of the more prestigious championships but I'm sure Fraggy will be keeping a close eye on proceedings. Pick of the 1st round: Sars v Midleton. Sars favourites but Midleton U15 County Champe & runners-up Minor so will be strong.

Why so late a start for this?
It's a bit of an in-between age with the major championships being U15 & U17 so not taken as seriously. That's not to say there still won't be a bit of a bite in it with anyone in the Cork squads trying to showcase their talent to Fraggy & Co.

North Cork Star

Brian Lynch is not Seanie O'Gorman's nephew but Brian does have Milford connections, he is the grandson of Michael Butler who is from Milford but played full-forward for Youghal beside the late Seanie O'Leary for many years.

I was at both games draw and replay and they were both good in poor conditions for the 3rd grade of minor hurling.

In the replay Youghal starting Dylan Lyons was crucial, he scored 1-1 in the space of a few minutes when they were 6 points down in the first half before they went on to level by half-time. Charleville were the better team in that first half when the sod was dry and the sun was shining but when it lashed rain Youghal were stronger in the slower conditions.

Poor reffing both days with 2 different refs, the players and occasion deserved better. Today one incident stands out where the Charleville corner-forward DJ collins was pulled and swung to the ground by the neck and when there was no whistle he got up and played on the ref blew him for an illegal handpass which was clearly a proper handpass. From the free Youghal went to the other end and scored. This was crucial when Charleville were on top late in normal time. Youghal were the better team in the 2nd period of extra time with Cian Calvin making a huge impact off the bench.

North Cork Star

Brian Lynch is not Seanie O'Gorman's nephew but Brian does have Milford connections, he is the grandson of Michael Butler who is from Milford but played full-forward for Youghal beside the late Seanie O'Leary for many years.

I was at both games draw and replay and they were both good in poor conditions for the 3rd grade of minor hurling.

In the replay Youghal starting Dylan Lyons was crucial, he scored 1-1 in the space of a few minutes when they were 6 points down in the first half before they went on to level by half-time. Charleville were the better team in that first half when the sod was dry and the sun was shining but when it lashed rain Youghal were stronger in the slower conditions.

Poor reffing both days with 2 different refs, the players and occasion deserved better. Today one incident stands out where the Charleville corner-forward DJ collins was pulled and swung to the ground by the neck and when there was no whistle he got up and played on the ref blew him for an illegal handpass which was clearly a proper handpass. From the free Youghal went to the other end and scored. This was crucial when Charleville were on top late in normal time. Youghal were the better team in the 2nd period of extra time with Cian Calvin making a huge impact off the bench.
Thanks for the report Corkonian and for clarifying the Milford connection. And I agree, the referee had a very poor outing. While it was tight, Youghal just about deserved it in the end.

At national level yes until congress at least decides otherwise, so I suppose the U-17's will be the Minors in Cork and the U-18's will be another competion to fill the age vacuum in the transition to U-19/20 and beyond.
Thanks C1.
Hopefully it'll gain a bit more traction than the U19 competition did this year.

At least from last night's county board meeting we will have U-18 competition back in Cork at least in 2023.(y)
From the article in todays examiner I'm not confident that CCB are going to make things any better next year.

“We all know the U18 grade is an absolute cornerstone of the GAA. We do need an U18 competition [in 2023],” O’Donovan told the meeting.
“It will be a hybrid version. It might have to be short. It might have to be knockout. It can’t be a full program of meaningful games without decoupling. It just can’t. However, I do think there should be a moratorium on decoupling for the full year of 2023.”

Does this mean that they are just proposing to swap the unsuccessful U19 competitions this year to U18 next year?
I would assume U17 would also have to stay as a primary grade so those lads would get a full league and championship structure similar to current formats?

From the article in todays examiner I'm not confident that CCB are going to make things any better next year.

“We all know the U18 grade is an absolute cornerstone of the GAA. We do need an U18 competition [in 2023],” O’Donovan told the meeting.
“It will be a hybrid version. It might have to be short. It might have to be knockout. It can’t be a full program of meaningful games without decoupling. It just can’t. However, I do think there should be a moratorium on decoupling for the full year of 2023.”

Does this mean that they are just proposing to swap the unsuccessful U19 competitions this year to U18 next year?
I would assume U17 would also have to stay as a primary grade so those lads would get a full league and championship structure similar to current formats?

It's all a bit of a mess alright.
The sooner minor reverts to U18 the better.
Interestingly though the Barrs would have had no Ben O'Connor or William Buckley this year if minor was U18.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Award Winning Steve Hughes (Australia)
City Limits, Coburg St.

15th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Comedy Cavern: Fin Taylor

Coughlan's, Today @ 9pm

More events ▼