Cork minor Football 2022

Well written but too apologetic for me.

Cork knew they had a game tonight, so did Kerry, one teamed turned up and performed, one didn't, not players fault imo - how many sessions they after - no obvious part of their set up tonight included any desire, ambition to kick the ball forward at any stage, either out of defence or into attack, we looked like the physically lighter team and our sole plan seemed to be to run the ball up, and down, the field for an hour through the opposition...that doesn't make sense to me.

How exactly did they intend to win the game?

Running down Kerry after they handed us a 14pt drubbing is a bit disingenuous. If their form is as you suggest then we are a long long long way behind what's going on at the top of this age group.

I hope these young lads have a more positive experience versus Tipp next week, tonight will be hard on them, I hope they are well looked after.
I think it’s similar to last year. Kerry were the better team tonight like Cork last year, but both teams look well below their usual standards this year and last year. Very few Conor Corbett’s, Dylan Geaney’s, Sean O’Brien’s or Darragh Cashman’s on either side. A load of sloppy mistakes in possession from both teams.

Kerry had one kick-out target in Clifford and none of their backs looked overly comfortable coming out with possession. It will be interesting if we have a plan for Clifford on kick-outs if we do meet again, as they don’t have many other real targets. I agree with you on their speed on turn-overs, though. It was far quicker than us and didn’t give us the chance to get the same number of defenders back. But for the most part, they lived off of turn-overs and some generous refereeing.

Last edited:
A very bad night for cork football, coaching has to be questioned. Kerry did the simple things right. Don’t want to be too harsh on the young fellas now heads are prob down as it is.
Having said that I had a bad feeling when I saw the team selection, I’ve seen a good few of these play at some point and some of the selections were questionable. Won’t name any players that were selected saying they shouldn’t of been as there still developing and have potential to grow.

Ben O’Sullivan from Beara led the minor premier 1 teams forward line when still u16. Saw him play final against ballincollig and was excellent with lots of pace hard to see why he wasn’t picked.
Linehan from millstreet also surprising to not be selected, is a very promising player.
Dan Andrews another
Confusing to say the least

A very bad night for cork football, coaching has to be questioned. Kerry did the simple things right. Don’t want to be too harsh on the young fellas now heads are prob down as it is.
Having said that I had a bad feeling when I saw the team selection, I’ve seen a good few of these play at some point and some of the selections were questionable. Won’t name any players that were selected saying they shouldn’t of been as there still developing and have potential to grow.

Ben O’Sullivan from Beara led the minor premier 1 teams forward line when still u16. Saw him play final against ballincollig and was excellent with lots of pace hard to see why he wasn’t picked.
Linehan from millstreet also surprising to not be selected, is a very promising player.
Dan Andrews another
Confusing to say the least
Linehan is i definitely njured so may be back in a few weeks . The others may also be injured. But it was one very very poor performance. As others said no kick passing by Cork. Coaches have alot to answer for

1. Josh Woods (Valley Rovers)
  2. Mark O’Sullivan (Bantry Blues)
  3. Colin Molloy (Nemo Rangers)
  4. Tim O’Brien (Nemo Rangers)
  5. Darragh O’Donovan (Bishopstown)
  6. Gearóid Daly (Mallow)
  7. Aaron Cullinane (Clonakilty)
  8. Colm Geary (Kilshannig)
  9. Colm Gillespie (Aghabullogue) Captain
  10. Mark Kelleher (Mallow)
  11. Ed Myers (Naomh Abán)
  12. Alan O’Connell (Kilshannig)
  13. Brian Hayes (Nemo Rangers)
  14. Gearóid Kearney (Kinsale)
  15. Olan O’Donovan (Ibane Gaels)
  16. Eoin O’Flynn (Douglas)
  17. Shane O’Connell (Castlehaven)
  18. James Burke (Douglas)
  19. Kieran McCarthy (Carrigaline)
  20. Neville O’Leary (Douglas)
  21. Sean Coakley (Douglas)
  22. Darragh Gough (Clonakilty)
  23. Aaron O’Sullivan (Aghabullogue)
  24. Ben O’Sullivan (Adrigole)
Extended Panel; Dan Andrews (St Colum’s). Sean Og Kenneally (Killara Óg, Kilworth), Colm Clifford (Éire Óg), Aidan Kelly (Clyda Rovers), Aaron O’Mahony (Kilmurry), Hugh Linehan (Millstreet), Conor Fitzpatrick (Kinsale), Trevor Kiely (Doneraile), Seán Mac an tSaoi (Valley Rovers), Robert Quirke (Ballinora), Artjoms Petrov (Nemo Rangers)

Good luck to the young lads. I'm sure they're not as bad a team as the Kerry result suggests and they will play with pride tomorrow night.

Can't be as bad as they were v Kerry. More or less the same management team led them to Munster title last year, beating Kerry in the sf, albeit then went out to Tyrone following heavy defeat.
Surely after years of new development squad structures, we should be in a position to at least be completive against any opponents.

Think u17 teams more likely to fold if things go against them then they would a year later. Cork looked ok v Kerry in Tralee until they conceded the goal. Down 0-5 to 0-3 then on 20 minutes or so. Only scored two more points in remainder of the game.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Damien Dempsey
Live At The Marquee, Showgrounds, Ballintemple

8th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Light and Shade

Crawford Art Gallery, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼