Cork minor Football 2022

Shocking stuff. The team look like they met up in the car park before throw in. No teamwork, no kicking of the ball in play, horrendous handpassing. The kickouts, sweet jesus it's embarrassing. The goalkeeper has no idea what to do. Fellas trying to handpass over their shoulder, through 2 or 3 opposition players....

What in Christ's name are the management doing with the young fellas?

Playing tipp next Thursday in sample stadium, it’ll be hard for any young lad to get over a defeat like that in a short period…..obviously a very worrying performance this is an awful period for cork football

Glad they have a chance to go again, be an awful way to finish up after all their trainings, travel, etc

Any chance they'd put Hayes, Kearney & O'Donovan together close to goal and just get the ball up to them. Clifford was busy when he came on, prob best of subs, but like a lot of the others looked light physically in contact.

Thats depressing were these young lads ever coached how to play Gaelic football ?
this management have serious questions to answer , a performance like that can destroy young players ....a very bad night for Cork football...

One of the worst tactics, teamwork, basic skills and individual performances I've seen at any level of football in a long time.
If it was to a superstar team it'd be one thing but this hammering was to a poor Kerry team who've been getting hockeyed in challenge games.
Only consolation is that Cork lost to Kerry by 16 pts in 2019 and went on to win the All-Ireland, maybe they were keeping their powder dry.

Cork failed to score from play...Kerry converted 10/12 (83%) from play, Tipp will fancy it bigtime next week. First 10 minutes will be vital, Cork need to be prepared for it, if they come out the far side of it it would be good for them.

Last edited:
I think the Cork coaching team is getting a bit of unfair criticism here. It looked like they were trying to coach the team to run the ball out and mix up the kick-out strategy, which is what we all wanted last weekend at senior level. Some players lost concentration and made mistakes hopefully due to nerves, which is what happens at this level. I think it’s better for Cork football in the long-run to have young guys having that experience of being able to mix things up from kick-outs and take risks. For a long time, we only had one kick-out strategy at minor/U20 level and that was the high loopy kick into an outnumbered midfield. In fact, that was our senior team’s only plan to combat the six-man zonal press last weekend.

Having said the above, and as others have said, they should have moved the ball quicker when coming out with the ball. Kerry were bringing 15 players into their 45 when they could, at which point there were no real opportunities to go for the kick-pass into the full-forward line. I’d also agree with some about Blackrock and St.Finbarrs being unlucky not to have been more involved in the last two year’s squads. Leo O’Sullivan, Ryan Bennett and Daniel Lucey looked like great prospects in that minor final. But again, I’m sure the Cork management group have seen more of these guys than any of us have.

Overall it was a poor advertisement for Munster underage football. Very little flow and a ref that seemed to be obsessed with inserting himself into the game. That Kerry team didn’t look like anything special either and have apparently had some bad losses in challenge matches to the likes of Galway and Kildare. Outside of Clifford, there were very few stand-outs in the game and you’d wonder what will happen to Kerry if they get a ref who wants gaelic football to be a contact sport. The fact they were bringing 15 players into their own 45 in the first 5 minutes, tells you how much they rate their own defending.

Last edited:
Well written but too apologetic for me.

Cork knew they had a game tonight, so did Kerry, one teamed turned up and performed, one didn't, not players fault imo - how many sessions they after - no obvious part of their set up tonight included any desire, ambition to kick the ball forward at any stage, either out of defence or into attack, we looked like the physically lighter team and our sole plan seemed to be to run the ball up, and down, the field for an hour through the opposition...that doesn't make sense to me.

How exactly did they intend to win the game?

Running down Kerry after they handed us a 14pt drubbing is a bit disingenuous. If their form is as you suggest then we are a long long long way behind what's going on at the top of this age group.

I hope these young lads have a more positive experience versus Tipp next week, tonight will be hard on them, I hope they are well looked after.

Last edited:
EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Smith
The White Horse, Ballincollig

12th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Brian Kenny: Tempus Futurum

Triskel Arts Centre, Today @ 6pm

More events ▼