Cork hurlings next manager

Paul Kinnerk

200.gif

I don't think this will be rushed, nor should it be.

The first question is are we staying inside the county for a manager or are we looking outside as well.

I would guess that those involved in the management team in 2022 will be asked to interview if they are interested.

I expect that Pat Ryan/Wayne Sherlock will be asked if they have an interest as the players they worked with so successfully at under age are already pushing their way through into the senior team and it would make sense for them to be reunited.

Ben O Connor is probably the other name that would quickly spring to mind. Finbarr mentioned JBM and even though I think it is unlikely he certainly would be a very good mentor for a younger less experienced coach.

There may be others that may also want the job that don't immediately spring to mind , Fergal Condon for instance , but they may lack in experience at this level and may need some experience with them.

I would be disappointed if a manager was already picked from the existing group because it would then as if alternatives were not properly explored.

I am glad KK chose to go as I think next year could have proven toxic for him if results were disappointing at any stage.
He has made a big contribution to Cork hurling over a long time and if we are lucky enough to be successful in the next couple of years then his part should not be forgotten.

If at all possible the next management team has to have Pat Ryan and Wayne Sherlock involved. It was a joy to watch the 2 u20 All Ireland winning teams in action.

Those teams had a lot of what posters here have been wanting for Cork Hurling Teams. Strong half forwards with size, and plenty of hurling. (Colin O Brien, Sean Twomey, Brian Hayes).

Midfielders who worked like dogs. (Brian Roche, Sam Quirke, Darragh Flynn and Brian O Sullivan).

Full Forward Line who worked hard when not in possession. (Alan Connolly, Padraig Power, Jack Cahalane). Connolly especially is a lad who wouldn't have been renowned for his work rate, but worked very hard under Ryan's management and has carried that work rate to senior hurling.

I'm not saying the above players are the solution to Cork's problems, just highlighting the characteristics of a Pat Ryan, Wayne Sherlock side. I think they would be a great appointment and I believe we need a culture change in the setup. We need a manager who isn't afraid to whip off anyone when playing badly and drop them for poor performances. We can't have a situation where some lads know they'll be starting regardless of a poor performance, and this leads to complacency.

We really can't afford a bad appointment. These u20 teams will be hitting 22/23 next year, and another year wasted could ruin their potential. Look at Cody and Mullen for Kilkenny. Both young lads, but are established inter county stars and Mullen could very well be hurler of the year.

I'd like to thank Kieran for his dedication to Cork hurling and wish him all the best. He owes Cork Hurling nothing.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Cast
Cyprus Avenue, Caroline St.

8th Nov 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Comedy Cavern: Fin Taylor

Coughlan's, Tomorrow @ 6:30pm

More events ▼