Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Good and fair post. Just for the record Cork got 13 points from frees. Limerick got 1.2.
I do think Cork got more scores from frees because Limerick fouled a lot more than Cork. Corks tackling was disciplined, Limericks often wasnt. I suspect only about two of Corks frees were contentious to a neutral. Limerick would really want to improve their discipline to win out this year.

Way too early next years team for a bit of fun…

Collins

E. Downey
Cahalane
SOD

Millerick
Joyce
Coleman

Roche
E. Twomey

O’Mahony
Harnedy
Dalton

O’Flynn
Horgan
Connolly

The fullback line is the hardest to sort. You have N. O’Leary left out who is solid and has a lot of experience. You could put Downey at FB as well and we shouldn’t forget about D. O’Leary. The half backs are missing Downey but who does he start over? Midfield could include Meade easily. Where does Fitzgibbon fit? Here? Or does he go in at 11? He’ll have to be better to start in my view. Is this a good spot for TOC? Roche is the only one I’m sure of, mostly. Barrett, Hayes, and Power will make a claim to start in the forwards. They along with a healthy Jack O’Connor, Shane Kingston, Connor Cahalane, and Lehane will make for some firepower on the bench. I left off the under 20 kids as it’s so hard to sort out who will emerge next year. This is a bit of fun so please don’t take it too seriously, I didn’t. I’m also sure I omitted deserving players.

I do think Cork got more scores from frees because Limerick fouled a lot more than Cork. Corks tackling was disciplined, Limericks often wasnt. I suspect only about two of Corks frees were contentious to a neutral. Limerick would really want to improve their discipline to win out this year.
Limerick get away with murder regularly and then complain when they are brought up on charges a rare occasion. The free count was out of whack because Limerick fouled all day as they always do. Red cards and black could’ve been issued on numerous occasion. The ref didn’t cost Cork the match but he surely didn’t do us any favors.

The RTÉ stats are interesting.

Limerick scored 28 from 52 shots
Cork scored 31 from 40

Corks efficiency was near 80% which was phenomenal and highest it’s been all year.

Limericks was closer to 50%

Cork did very well to hang in the game and bring it down to the wire. Old Cork teams would have surrendered.
Robbie OFlynn will strengthen the side. Not sure if Coleman will get back in.
There’s also a place for Connolly.
On the flip side Harnedy and Hoggie must be near the end. Two great servants.

On the Limerick side - surprised WOD didn’t get man of the match - what a player he really is. Very underrated imo. Roche just wasn’t able for him

And Aaron Gillane is some weapon to have on the edge of the square - aerial ability is something else.

Cork scored 31 from 40

Corks efficiency was near 80% which was phenomenal and highest it’s been all year.

Cork did very well to hang in the game and bring it down to the wire. Old Cork teams would have surrendered.

On the Limerick side - surprised WOD didn’t get man of the match - what a player he really is. Very underrated imo. Roche just wasn’t able for him

And Aaron Gillane is some weapon to have on the edge of the square -A aerial ability is something else.
If we can push it to something like 70% then we'll be dangerous

Pat Ryan has instilled a lot of grit and attitude in this group, ye will be there or thereabouts in the coming years

Gillane must be a total nightmare to mark, I'm glad I finished 20 years ago and didn't have to mark him, I'd have worn hurleys off him but I don't think it would have made any difference

Cork scored 31 from 40

And Aaron Gillane is some weapon to have on the edge of the square - aerial ability is something else.
Brian Roche was right half foward not midfield

If we can push it to something like 70% then we'll be dangerous

Pat Ryan has instilled a lot of grit and attitude in this group, ye will be there or thereabouts in the coming years

Gillane must be a total nightmare to mark, I'm glad I finished 20 years ago and didn't have to mark him, I'd have worn hurleys off him but I don't think it would have made any difference

Only the truly great forwards can play it both ways. He doesn’t mind if it’s fired in high or low or out to the wings.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Eoin Jordan & Stan Notte
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

11th May 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Living Images (NC) [Baltic Film Festival]

Triskel Arts Centre, Today @ 7pm

More events ▼