Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Not long back from Ennis and after watching it back again. I must say it was an electric atmosphere and a grain of rice would have tipped the scales. After watching it back on tv again I feel this game was left behind us on the line . Tommy O Connell should have been pulled off Tony Kelly after 14 seconds, I was baffled to see him come back on again after the blood sub and shed two more scores , I need not go further into this match up as im
Certain it was very plain to see by all . Dalton, Lehane and Conor Cahalane should not have started , we had better options on the bench.

Met a man coming out and he said if Kieran Kingston had this bunch for another year (as reports say was the players wish) that we would be in a munster final now headed to Limerick to give a few fellows a run, after watching this game back , I cant disagree. Unfortunately we are staring down the barrel at our first ever knockout from the round robin .

Damien Cahalane was excellent today .

Look for me the management and I hate to criticise them were very slow off the blocks . Tommy o Connell was out hurled in the first 25 minutes and the change should have been made straight away ... apart from the goal conor cahalane disappeared. I was at the match and those 2 changes were obvious at half time at least just my opinion

No I think that those 6 backs should be on the field to mark the 6 limerick forwards . Probably O Donoghue on Flanagan and O Leary on Gillane . Damo on Hegarty Downey on Morrisey . Leaving Millerick possibly on Cian Lynch with Joyce holding whoever comes to 11. I think hurling suicide is a strong phrase as I thought Millerick looked ok today when he came in.
I think Millerick did well today, as he usually does. I think he was very unlucky not to start ahead of Tommy O Connell.
I don't think he has the physique for full back and he was listed at 3 in your team.

Cahalane has had three very good games at full back, why would anybody even think of moving him ?

Not long back from Ennis and after watching it back again. I must say it was an electric atmosphere and a grain of rice would have tipped the scales. After watching it back on tv again I feel this game was left behind us on the line . Tommy O Connell should have been pulled off Tony Kelly after 14 seconds, I was baffled to see him come back on again after the blood sub and shed two more scores , I need not go further into this match up as im
Certain it was very plain to see by all . Dalton, Lehane and Conor Cahalane should not have started , we had better options on the bench.

Met a man coming out and he said if Kieran Kingston had this bunch for another year (as reports say was the players wish) that we would be in a munster final now headed to Limerick to give a few fellows a run, after watching this game back , I cant disagree. Unfortunately we are staring down the barrel at our first ever knockout from the round robin .

Damien Cahalane was excellent today .
We were beaten by Clare last year as well with just about the same group of players.

We didn't even have to go to Ennis last year.

We were beaten by a better team (Clare 3-4 points better on the day) but Management have to take some of the fall for that defeat in my opinion. The team selection was bizarre and backfired. Changes were obviously necessary at HT but we didn't make them and paid the price.

Our backs were brilliant after the penalty. Joyce thundered into the game. Damien Cahalane was our best player today - Excellent at fullback again.

I think Cork need to push up on Limerick very aggressively next week and not allow the likes of Byrnes, Hannon and Hayes time on the ball. I'd start Tim in the forwards as well as Kingston for his pace.

Collins
SOD Cahalane NOL
E Downey Joyce R Downey
Roche Meade
Dalton Fitzgibbon TOM
Hoggy Harnedy Kingston

He even won the first ball in the air when he was on as a temporary sub. It was madness persisting with O Conell. It was a strange match up to begin with but how they didn't change it I'll never know. Clare couldn't believe their luck. When it was obvious Kelly wasn't doing as much damage on Millerick they moved him. Cuteness/common sense that we were lacking on line. Hope they'll learn from it.

He even won the first ball in the air when he was on as a temporary sub. It was madness persisting with O Conell. It was a strange match up to begin with but how they didn't change it I'll never know. Clare couldn't believe their luck. When it was obvious Kelly wasn't doing as much damage on Millerick they moved him. Cuteness/common sense that we were lacking on line. Hope they'll learn from it.
I was watching mellerick when he
came on he was pulling and hassling at TK (something we did not see all day )., was thinking great .. baffled to see him come off again , think TK involved in two more scores before Mellerick came back on him ..

Could have got a draw from today or even scraped a win but the reality is we once again only played for about 50 minutes and the periods when we go to sleep we make mistakes on the ball, are way too louse and as a result cough up scores.

Look if someone had told us that we would be heading into knockout championship territory on May 28 we would have taken it so we just have to keep moving. There is easily another 20-30% in that Cork team and we lost by a point to a very good side. The full back line was very good overall I thought and Damien once again outstanding, Joyce got on a lot of ball even if he was a bit loose at times and Downey was excellent and gave great deliveries into the forwards. TOC is not a natural defender and this is now becoming obvious but let’s not throw a good hurler under the bus. Collins hung him with one puck out which didn’t go to hand ( criminal and Collins did the same to Downey late on against Tipp ) and I think it affected his confidence thereafter. Meade and Roche excellent until they tired and Harnedy worked very hard but that is not enough players firing together to win a match. Kingston made a difference when he came in.

We can beat Limerick and if we want to have a chance of rattling an AI then we need to win what are all knockout games from now on. No panic just determination is what is needed now and my team v Limerick would be :-

Collins
NOL Damien SOD
RD. Joyce. ED
Tim. Meade Fitz
Harnedy Dalton Twomey
Hoggy. Kingston
Would you drop Roche

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Gemma Hayes
Cyprus Avenue, Caroline St.

21st Apr 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..