Cork Hurlers - Part 2

You got there just before me bb.
The best of the lot was Hartnett's "accidental" flick as he was charging down the line that caught Lynskey. Happy days.....
I remember it well. Lynskey reappeared but was not the same. I dont think we realised how important Lynskey was until the following 2 years all Irelands and potentially how that flick contributed to our surprise win. I am still in 2 minds about it after all these years. Its OK when its your fella. Michael Flatley assaulting Nicholas was the other side of the coin I suppose.

I think Eoin Downey is a good enough defender to manage without any extra tricks.

I remember it well. Lynskey reappeared but was not the same. I dont think we realised how important Lynskey was until the following 2 years all Irelands and potentially how that flick contributed to our surprise win. I am still in 2 minds about it after all these years. Its OK when its your fella. Michael Flatley assaulting Nicholas was the other side of the coin I suppose.

I think Eoin Downey is a good enough defender to manage without any extra tricks.
Lynskey was some boyo. A genuine hard man. As far as I remember Hartnett was one of the many Cork lads carrying injuries that day. As he was heading down the wing Lynskey had him sized up from afar and clearly came thundering in to do damage with a would be shoulder/elbow. Hartnett along with everyone there saw what was coming and prepared in advance. In fairness to Lynskey and Galway I don’t recall any whining at all about the incident.

Wouldn't argue with too much of that.
I'd prefer Barrett starting in the half-forward line with Dalton inside. Can always rotate. Biggest other concern would be that we haven't seen Darragh Fitz in the new regime. Work-rate, in particular assisting with shutting down the opposition when they have the sliotar needs to be upped.
Other than that good to go!!
not sure Barrett has the physicality for a wing foward start but he would revel in the withdrawn corner foward role, as could Lehane, leave Robbie and either Hoggy or Power inside

Even coming out of Nowlan Park last Sunday I wasn’t too dissapointed, We looked solid enough in defence considering the amount of ball that was coming down on top of us, I think that 6 is very close to our championship 6 with Sean, if fit, replacing Damien

It was from there up we had problems, both midfielders are great young prospects but right now they are probably too raw to play together midfield in championship so I’d be bringing Darragh Fitz or Tim in there, probably Darragh, to partner Brian Roche

Our half foward line must all be capable of winning ball, disrupting the opposition and contributing on the scoreboard so it has to be Dalton, Seamus and Tim for me, or Darragh if Tim is midfield

The inside line is up for grabs, if fit Robbie must be at 13, with the other two spots between Hoggy, Paudie, Barrett and Lehane. I’d only start Kingston if Robbie isn’t fit enough
Spot on

Even coming out of Nowlan Park last Sunday I wasn’t too dissapointed, We looked solid enough in defence considering the amount of ball that was coming down on top of us, I think that 6 is very close to our championship 6 with Sean, if fit, replacing Damien

It was from there up we had problems, both midfielders are great young prospects but right now they are probably too raw to play together midfield in championship so I’d be bringing Darragh Fitz or Tim in there, probably Darragh, to partner Brian Roche

Our half foward line must all be capable of winning ball, disrupting the opposition and contributing on the scoreboard so it has to be Dalton, Seamus and Tim for me, or Darragh if Tim is midfield

The inside line is up for grabs, if fit Robbie must be at 13, with the other two spots between Hoggy, Paudie, Barrett and Lehane. I’d only start Kingston if Robbie isn’t fit enough

Very good summary kid but that’s been our major failure now for years and I agree our back line seems to be improving but the amount of ball coming at them is again alarming tactical wise.
Say we set up let’s take Limerick with only 2 inside again with Finn Casey and Nash back there marking 2 forwards. The advantages are already with Limerick because teams are afraid to push up on them even on Hannon because IMO they are trying to replicate them ( fantastic team for the ages) instead of evolving something different themselves.
We have heard all the BS about defending from the forwards but you can’t defend with 2 men inside trying not only win possession but then try run back against a man advantage situation that limerick loves to play the ball between the line and that’s where they build.
They don’t dominate by Hegarty or Morrisey jumping up grabbing ball and getting running. They dominate from running out at teams in numbers. Look at their midfield Will O Donughue or Daragh O Donovan rarely shoot and have a very poor scoring average from midfield because they can pass the ball because someone is always free to recycle the ball to the players in space because they have the extra man based on the 2 inside. Sean Finn is the only back including Quaid that has not scored in a game and that tells a story of no problem inside.
If Cork wants to succeed and fair play the management have been great in trying new talent we have to be brave tactically also and not do the same thing that does not work.
Great young talent like Hayes Power Barrett should be given a chance to be one and one one a back not facing a situation of a lucky moment.
We have won 2 all Ireland’s with good teams and players and play to their strength and stop trying to replicate the others if that’s to go man to man all over the pitch then so be it because they have the work rate.
Team wise whom ever is playing like a hungry Jack Russell waiting for food should start but also we have to remember to finish also. Hoggie Lehane Kingston are finishing game forwards now.
Seamie 14 all day long with Dalton and Robbie inside. Barrett Tim the wings with Darragh 11
Roche and Tommy midfield.
No team will waltz out with the ball with them lads giving everything.
Just my thoughts 👍

Very good summary kid but that’s been our major failure now for years and I agree our back line seems to be improving but the amount of ball coming at them is again alarming tactical wise.
Say we set up let’s take Limerick with only 2 inside again with Finn Casey and Nash back there marking 2 forwards. The advantages are already with Limerick because teams are afraid to push up on them even on Hannon because IMO they are trying to replicate them ( fantastic team for the ages) instead of evolving something different themselves.
We have heard all the BS about defending from the forwards but you can’t defend with 2 men inside trying not only win possession but then try run back against a man advantage situation that limerick loves to play the ball between the line and that’s where they build.
They don’t dominate by Hegarty or Morrisey jumping up grabbing ball and getting running. They dominate from running out at teams in numbers. Look at their midfield Will O Donughue or Daragh O Donovan rarely shoot and have a very poor scoring average from midfield because they can pass the ball because someone is always free to recycle the ball to the players in space because they have the extra man based on the 2 inside. Sean Finn is the only back including Quaid that has not scored in a game and that tells a story of no problem inside.
If Cork wants to succeed and fair play the management have been great in trying new talent we have to be brave tactically also and not do the same thing that does not work.
Great young talent like Hayes Power Barrett should be given a chance to be one and one one a back not facing a situation of a lucky moment.
We have won 2 all Ireland’s with good teams and players and play to their strength and stop trying to replicate the others if that’s to go man to man all over the pitch then so be it because they have the work rate.
Team wise whom ever is playing like a hungry Jack Russell waiting for food should start but also we have to remember to finish also. Hoggie Lehane Kingston are finishing game forwards now.
Seamie 14 all day long with Dalton and Robbie inside. Barrett Tim the wings with Darragh 11
Roche and Tommy midfield.
No team will waltz out with the ball with them lads giving everything.
Just my thoughts 👍
I agree in principal with this but, and it is a huge but, if we go man on man all over the pitch we will end up in a scenario like the 2021 all ireland final where there is 60’yeards space in front of Gillane and Flanagan who are 2 on 2 with our corner backs and we all know how that worked out. Is that what your advocating fin?

I agree in principal with this but, and it is a huge but, if we go man on man all over the pitch we will end up in a scenario like the 2021 all ireland final where there is 60’yeards space in front of Gillane and Flanagan who are 2 on 2 with our corner backs and we all know how that worked out. Is that what your advocating fin?
I see it different kid .
If Peter Casey drifts as he does then let SOD go with him . Same thing with Cian Lynch I would put Joyce stuck to him and be in their face not standing around wondering what to do.
Gillane and Flanagan are successful because of the ball they get ( diagonal usually) but lack pace so yeah I would let them inside because if we push up on them then we have a chance of stopping the perfect ball into them.
Limerick create from deep for goals with running and middle running channels not Flanagan or Gillane plucking ball. Limerick as a top team don’t score heavily on goals but points in space that’s why I would go man to man and stop and cut off space.
You have to break the top teams down in the middle and we are not successful in the passing line game and that’s why I would play Dalton Harnedy Robbie inside because they will stick ball and not let teams just dominate. If we let Joyce sit a deep 6 like a Hannon or De Burca then you have a Cian Lynch or Tony Kelly etc just spray ball about.
Sometimes you have to just go for it and be brave in your own players

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
King K
Clancys, 15-16 Princes St.

3rd May 2024 @ 10pm
More info..

A Matter Of Time

Crawford Art Gallery, Today @ 10am

More events ▼