Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Free-taker could become an issue this year.
  • I personally don't think P.Horgan will start (he's also not impressed so far this yr on the frees).
  • S.Kingston has been quite consistent on the frees when he has been starting, it also keeps him in the game at times when he seems to drift out of the game.
  • C.Lehane is so inconsistent in both frees and open play and because of that I don't think he's reliable enough to be trusted on the frees.
  • A.Connolly would be one of my top contenders to take them if he wasn't injured and it doesn't look like he will feature at all this season anyway.
  • D.Dalton would be my candidate but he has only been given a fair shot at the long-range frees so far this season.

We need to have a reliable, consistent and nailed down free-taker before Apr 30th or else we could be badly exposed on them.
Hoggy is odds on to start, and stay on the frees right now. Only viable alternative of those above is Dalton and he is better than Hoggy on deadballs but unfortunately not tested yet at highest level. Drennan looks phenomenal on them so far.

O’Callaghan injured no? Wouldn’t worry too much about D cahalane and R Downey… it’s a relatively workman-like Kk forward line, and Fogarty & Murphy don’t provide much of an attacking threat either. That is a mean defence they’ve selected though - half back line excellent in the air, long night ahead on our puc outs

Didn't know that about O'Callaghan, so fair enough - but E.Roche?

To be clear, my issue with Damien C being named at 4 is not so much that he will be exposed in this match, but that it may be a missed opportunity to test someone who could play there come championship if, say, O'Donoghue is missing. I would be quite happy to see Damien starting at 7 and he is arguably the best cover at 3, but I don't see him as a good cover for the corner-back positions.

Killyoursons

Very true regarding neither Con O'Callaghan and Eoin Roche not as a corner-back replacement at least and the same must be said regarding Cathal Cormack for wing-back after having a good game v Clare last Sunday.

However I think the management are correct regarding starting Ethan Twomey over Luke Meade.

I agree with you about E. Twomey. When I said Meade would be the safer choice, I meant he would be the more conservative one, a more known quantity. Cork should obviously try to win this match and the league, but the selectors should also be looking to try a slightly risky move or two if there is a chance it could give them something extra come championship. Twomey is just such a gamble - less proven than Meade (who is often under-rated imo), but if he finds his feet at this level would offer something Cork don't already have in terms of his vision and passing range.

I agree with you about E. Twomey. When I said Meade would be the safer choice, I meant he would be the more conservative one, a more known quantity. Cork should obviously try to win this match and the league, but the selectors should also be looking to try a slightly risky move or two if there is a chance it could give them something extra come championship. Twomey is just such a gamble - less proven than Meade (who is often under-rated imo), but if he finds his feet at this level would offer something Cork don't already have in terms of his vision and passing range.
I for one am delighted to see them really back Ethan Twomey.

The management can clearly see that he is the real deal (and has been for some time IMO). With a good winter of S&C, I have no doubt that he will be a key player for Cork next year.
Championship this year might come a bit soon for him but who knows? With the injuries we have to the likes of Darragh Fitz atm management may as well go with Twomey for this game.

I also agree that Luke Meade goes under the radar too often. He will be important come championship, but this is the right game to test Twomey.

The management can clearly see that he is the real deal (and has been for some time IMO). With a good winter of S&C, I have no doubt that he will be a key player for Cork next year.
I also think Twomey is one for the future but I do find these posts about S&C quite funny. Twomey had a year of S&C with the Barrs with one of the best coaches in Munster. You don't have to be built like a brick shit house to be effective.
That isn't a dig at you, it is a common theme here. It's like people automatically assume that Cork's s&c is better than at clubs.

Last edited:
EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Peppa Pig's Fun Day Out
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

9th May 2024 @ 4:00 pm
More info..

The Gay Agenda

The White Horse, Tomorrow @ 8pm

More events ▼