Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Ya all I remember is how outstanding he was at 6 during his league apperances last year and then some bright spark on the sideline decided to play him corner back in the league final where we got absolutely split open by waterford running down the middle of our defence.
Jesus I forgot about that with all the going ons last year

Ya all I remember is how outstanding he was at 6 during his league apperances last year and then some bright spark on the sideline decided to play him corner back in the league final where we got absolutely split open by waterford running down the middle of our defence.
He did wear 4 but I don’t think he actually played in the corner did he?

morello

A lot of the young players bring physicality, I acknowledge you selecting Eoin Downey wing-back but I believe we also have to go with youth on the other wing. Damien Cahalane brings physicality but he doesn't bring enough hurling or discipline. He had a good 2nd half like the others on Saturday night but if Ger Millerick is fit he has to start at 7 and if not I believe we should be looking at Ethan Twomey with Eoin Downey as the wing-backs. Rob Downey like his brother defines physicality but his recovery like Cahalane is too slow for wing-back come championship. Like his brother last Saturday night the best display at full-back for Cork in years is Rob's performance v Kilkenny in the 2021 AI semi-final. Daire O'Leary has to be tried there but are'nt we looking at the Westmeath game for him to start and will he have enough game time before April to start in championship considering the length of time he's not been playing. For me if Eoin is wing-back then it is Rob for full-back with Daire and Damien as back-up.

Someone suggested Darragh Fitzgibbon at 15 if Robbie doesn't make it back in time for April 30th and I believe it's a viable option and even more so if a player like Ben O'Connor is available to play mid-field. Brian Roche should start mid-field v Galway and we should then know more if he is likely to be a mainstay for No. 8 come championship.
When the facts change your opinion is allowed to change also. Fact is that probably for 2 seasons now D Cahalane has been extremely solid for Cork. He understands his limitations and has simplified his game, and improved his discipline. He is calm and comfortable on the ball (rarely makes a handling error) and an excellent stick passer over that 30 to 70 yard distance. Used to be murder for getting hooked but not anymore. Not as quick as he was but would be shocked if he's not middle of the pack in the speed work that the squad would be doing.

I reckon we'll have approx 4 championship debutants against waterford and you absolutely do need experience alongside them in terms of managing shape, communication etc.

Patrick Collins
Sean O Donoghue - Eoin Downey - Niall O Leary
Ger Millerick - Ciaran Joyce - Robert Downey
Brian Roche - Luke Meade
Tim O Mahony - Darragh Fitzgibbon- Declan Dalton
Alan Connolly - Brian Hayes - Patrick Horgan
Just reminding you r&b this is your team without Robbie and your Lover Boy Damien isn't on it.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Daniel Lukas: The Only Funny German
The Roundy, Castle St.

17th Oct 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..

Afro House & Amapiano #18

Dwyers Of Cork, Tomorrow @ 10pm

More events ▼