Cork Hurlers - Part 2

i agree to an extent but still think we will have a strong bench this year when you consider that it will likely feature Richie English & Dan Morrisey (if Hayes plays 7) This will be a big league campaign for young Coughlan but he will be a decent bench option in championship too. We will then have the likes or Reidy, O Neil and Boylan who all came up with big scores when needed last season and young o Brien from kilmallock and Adam English are probably a year away from making an impact. Agree that it will will be hard to replace a lot of the starting 15 but most of them have another good 2-3 years in them and others have 3-4 years.
You're spot on coogee. I certainly wouldn't be backing against the 4 in a row. Or maybe more 😉

i agree to an extent but still think we will have a strong bench this year when you consider that it will likely feature Richie English & Dan Morrisey (if Hayes plays 7) This will be a big league campaign for young Coughlan but he will be a decent bench option in championship too. We will then have the likes or Reidy, O Neil and Boylan who all came up with big scores when needed last season and young o Brien from kilmallock and Adam English are probably a year away from making an impact. Agree that it will will be hard to replace a lot of the starting 15 but most of them have another good 2-3 years in them and others have 3-4 years.
Is Peter Casey injured? Shane O Brien and Adam English are great prospects. Was impressed with Colin Coughlan too last night, got two great points. A bit like Diarmaid Byrnes the way he can score from distance. He scored 4 fantastic long range points in Fitzgibbon last week from half back also.

I hate the way the league is deprioritised for Fitzgibbon cup. It shows the pecking order of the league that the colleges competition gets prioritised over it.

Would have been great to see the likes of Rob Downey,Ethan Towmey Brian Hayes, Millerick, play more of a part last night in front of that big crowd.

Just on a few specific points:
- Dalton and Hoggy:
Patrick was in the zone and looked really sharp but please please please give free taking duties to Dalton. Why pick the best dead ball player in the county and then not have him on any sideline or free. They need to just get this done as Patrick’s free taking is dipping versus a few years ago. The change will benefit the 2 of them. I see a few posters say that Hoggy was getting the lovely bouncing ball from midfield in front of him and Dalton wasn’t. That was mainly because Hoggy was able to get that yard and Dalton wasn’t able to from Finn. Finn looked like a senior hurler playing a junior hurler at times but in fairness to Dalton he stuck at it, and did better in the second half… but just give him the frees and sidelines for fuck sake 😊

- Full back line:
They were excellent - aggressive but smart and not over committing when they were not in position to win a ball. Of all the lines this was definitely not a test though - Flanagan was messing with flicks all night and the other 2 are firmly 2nd choice. Galway will test this line much harder. We need another option like O’Callaghan to put a hand up for corner back, I’m not a fan of Niall in there, fine hurler albeit that he is.

Midfield:
Meade had a fine game, rarely plays less than 7 out of 10 in fairness. There’s a combination of players where he’s starting lads… he won rucks, sprayed passes to the corner, he just will need more physical support alongside him. I’m a big BOS fan, he’s a serious hurler and great attitude, he did ok last night - could have stayed on longer and can play in different positions, nice and aggressive. Roche however showed what we were all looking forward to after watching him dog it out in underage finals. Some work rate on the youngfella… a championship starter I hope
Deccie came up against the best defender in the game and didn’t get great ball. I’d give him a pass for last night.
Hoggy looks like a starter based on last night. And we wouldn’t have said that 3 weeks ago.

I
You’re right, I really didn’t word my post properly, I would say from no 20 down there is a serious drop off in quality, then again yer first 20 is so good that is not surprising !

Is Peter Casey injured? Shane O Brien and Adam English are great prospects. Was impressed with Colin Coughlan too last night, got two great points. A bit like Diarmaid Byrnes the way he can score from distance. He scored 4 fantastic long range points in Fitzgibbon last week from half back also.

I hate the way the league is deprioritised for Fitzgibbon cup. It shows the pecking order of the league that the colleges competition gets prioritised over it.

Would have been great to see the likes of Rob Downey,Ethan Towmey Brian Hayes, Millerick, play more of a part last night in front of that big crowd.
not sure if Casey is injured. IF he is its nothing serious. Did Cian Lynch make an appearance off the bench last night?

At half time I was despondent.
It was smart to make no changes for the second half as it would be unfair to single out anyone.
“Ye have ten minutes to save your place”
GK was competent and picking out to a poor HF line was a challenge in the first half.
As I suggested before Eoin Downey could solve our FB problem.
COC looked like a real 2 but I worry a little about his size.
CJ is the real deal and Damian continues to play well.
I don’t think TOC is a 5.
The HB line should be the launch pad for the forwards and we’re not getting that at present.
As always LM worked hard and used the ball well. But midfield needs a hurler and a workhorse. Brian Roche may grow into the latter.
CL had a nightmare but tried maybe too hard to do the right thing. I wouldn’t write him off.
C Beausang was very disappointing and may be on his last chance. He’s a fullforward and not a halfforward.
Robbie was a constant threat and would be a big loss.
DD’s positioning and reactions were poor but I’d persist with him.
Hoggy proved that there are not six better forwards in Cork.
Hayes and Kingston brought an extra threat.
With a long line of missing players we can hope again. We have a great chance next year.

Time to use Patrick Horgan sparingly between now and the end of the league. Last thing needed is to have him peaking in early February and then treading water by the end of April.

A few points regards our potential championship line up

Goalkeeper
I’m still not convinced but we are where we are so Patrick will be in goal

Full Back Line
We are well served in the corners with Sean, Niall and now Conor O Callaghan after last night but it’s full back where the real question marks are. Eoin done very well last night, Robert the same last week and Damien for years. I still want to see Daire O Leary get a few games here when he’s back but will he get that chance now?

Half Back Line
Joyce will be 6 but his two wing men are still a mystery, we have too many possible options if anything. Tommy & Damien done well last night, Rob Downey & Tim have the physique, Eoin Downey and Ethan are live options and Ger Millerick and Daire O Leary when they return will be in the mix

Midfield
Whoever plays midfield between Luke, Brian Sull, Ethan, Tommy and Fitzy they will have to be paired with a more physical presence. Brian Roche is a possibility for that role but I’m not sure he yet has the experience for there unless paired with Luke or Darragh. The sooner Tim returns the sooner we know if the selectors have him earmarked for 8.

Half Foward Line
We need two ball winners on the wings who will physically stand up to their opponents and allow our hurling 11 to do damage. With Robbie’s injury I suspect it will be Lehane or possibly Fitzy as that 11 and I would play 2 from Tim, Dalton, Brian Roche, Brian Hayes and Sean Twomey on the wings. Get a good 40 minutes out of our two and then unleash the speed of the likes of Kingston for the last half hour.

Full Foward Line
Must be built around Hoggy if he maintains last nights performance. If Robbie is missing we must look at Jacko and Kingston for speed or Connolly for cunning. Brian Hayes looks tailor made for full foward with Sean, Tim or Deccie other options

Possible Team (without Robbie)

Patrick Collins
Sean O Donoghue - Eoin Downey - Niall O Leary
Ger Millerick - Ciaran Joyce - Robert Downey
Brian Roche - Luke Meade
Tim O Mahony - Darragh Fitzgibbon- Declan Dalton
Alan Connolly - Brian Hayes - Patrick Horgan

Last edited:
EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Tom Odell
Live At The Marquee

25th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm