Cork Hurlers - Part 2

I'd add that one thing Cork should be looking for during the league is an alternative freetaker. Hoggy might recover his form in general play this year, but he might not either, and it would be no harm to have the option of using him as a sub.

Which is more pressing - looking for an alternative freetaker or an alternative goalkeeper?

This is getting ridiculous now. Nobody is saying it was all his fault. At various stages last year our forwards didn’t make runs to show for the ball. It was a collective failure. But Hoggie was especially disappointing given he’s supposed to be our most dangerous forward.

Throw away the shovel ffs. Why is the onus on a 34 year old "to be our most dangerous forward"? A guy you and many others wouldn't even start? I'd probably not start Hoggie myself at this stage but boy talk about a lightning rod for all that goes wrong :rolleyes:

Neither because they have a goalkeeper plus multiple options for hitting frees

What's more pressing is finding a settled 6 backs

Given form, suspensions, and injuries it's usually quite difficult to have a settled 6 players in any general area of the field.

Yes we have other options that are used in hitting frees. And you regularly see someone like Hoggie hitting the shorter frees and someone else hitting the longer distance ones, so even if Hoggie is a starter, the frees aren't all his and his alone to be hitting.

BUT, and it's a big but, there'll only be one keeper start and the more he starts the more likely he is to be retained. This league is high time to try install the best longer term keeper. Couldn't tell you when we last won the hurling league, but anyone can tell you when Cork last won the All Ireland. That's when we need to have our top keeper AND freetaker in place. No doubt a number of freetakers will get exercised during the league, I'm just hoping that the opportunity is used to run the rule over some decent keepers, because I, like many others here, have reservations about Collins.

We don't want keepers dropping the ball into their net in Championship or messing up signals with his backs when playing it short or lofting high and hopeless punts where our forwards are unlikely to retain possession. Neither do we want free-takers missing relatively easy frees to go out of the championship by the finest of margins.

PR may not be able to steer us to glory this season or even next but fingers crossed he gets an awful lot right this season, beginning with getting our best squad together and on the pitch. If they're not good enough to beat Limerick or KK even, then so be it, but at least get the best 15/25 out there on match day means we'll have given it our best shot.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Nicole Maguire
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

25th May 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

A Matter Of Time

Crawford Art Gallery, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼