Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Tend to agree with that. Will be a fascinating one to watch over the coming weeks as I still find it hard to peg him down in 1 particular role. I don’t think the open spaces of 6,8,9,11 suit him - he’s a bit quirky mentally and does the odd mad thing every so often. Then there’s been times over the last couple of years where he’s running in from the wing getting goals where he looks like one of the top hurlers in the country.

The defensive problems looked to be attitude / technique and probably fixable with Ryan & co (he has the physique and cutting). I’d probably land on 10 or 12 as his best position but we may need him at 5 again and with the arrival of Cunningham, Hayes, and return of Dalton, that might be ok
I'd rather see him in an attacking role, either wing-forward or full-forward. Contrary to what you suggest, I'd say nowadays midfielders and centre-forwards have less room than players on the wings, as teams will drop their half-forwards deep and funnel towards the centre of the pitch to prevent runs at goal or shots for points from relatively easy positions (i.e., in front of the goal inside your own 65). It seems to me (just based on what I've observed) you're more likely to create one-on-ones on the wing or in the full-forward line with quick ball in. And I think that would suit O'Mahony best to be able to take on one man, as one of his great strengths is carrying the ball and this can be a liability if the opposition can swarm you.

Interesting discussion on our options.

For what it’s worth I think center foward is the key role and will be between Conor Lehane, Darragh Fitzgibbon and if fit Mark Coleman. It’s probably the only free role in hurling outside of center back so the selectors will want one of our key hurlers there to dictate the play. Long term I think it’s the best place for Coleman but in the meantime I’d love to see Fitzy tried there when he’s back fit and we know what Lehane brings to the role.

I don’t think Robbie has the composure to play there but can obviously fit in on the wing but I would love to see him in the corner as he has a burst of pace and an eye for goal

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Tom Odell
Live At The Marquee

25th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Colm Murphy

St. Peters Cork, Today @ 10am

More events ▼