Cork Hurlers - Part 2

It is a long twelve months for Limerick before the next final.
I think their peak year was 2021, they won in 2022 but not comfortably, 2023 will be interesting. Some of that team were playing championship in 2015, more in 2016 and I think about ten in 2017.
The team has been unchanged almost completely since 2018. It is a challenge for any group to repeat the commitment and enthusiasm year after year. It won't be age that will beat Limerick it will be miles on the legs and a hungry pack chasing behind.

Every county wants to knock the champions off their perch and several counties will fancy themselves to do that... including Cork.

If you don't have that ambition then why bother at all ?
Spot on North Cork, this cowering down to limerick is pathetic, get ourselves right and go out and take everyone on

Sort out the goal leaking element of our defence and we'll win the AI next year.

Talking about the game v Galway and butchered chances, been bugging me for a while but I think if we'd left Connolly on we would have won that.
Easy said I know - if ands and maybes - but he is the type of player who even on a quiet day, which he had v Galway, can do Seanie Leary.

He wasn't particularly good v Sars until stoppage time and then he was the winning of the game.

RightHalfBack, midfield for Cork is crucial. Who do you see improving it ?
I think Dunmore if we have a more dominant and physical half back line and perhaps two ball winners in the half forward line the midfield will then need lads who can win breaking ball and score from distance as well as moving the ball quickly and accurately under pressure so we might see the likes of Brian O Sullivan, Darragh Flynn or Tommy O Connell getting in there. Midfield would suit both Fitzgibbon and Coleman but I don’t think you can play them together as neither will hold - we have lots of options and Brian Roche could be a more physical alternative.

I still think getting 3,5,6,7 right will be the rock that will make this team along with ball winners at 10 and 12 so beyond that the options available to Ryan are plentiful

Did Conor twomey Newtown play u20 for cork lads? Supposed to have been excellent at wing back last weekend

Great posts RHB and agree with the half back line actually - Downey can be a Brian hogan of sorts, allowing wing backs to hurl more, score more

Midfield focus has to be on Brian Roche - he’ll double our tackle count single handedly!

Did Conor twomey Newtown play u20 for cork lads? Supposed to have been excellent at wing back last weekend

Great posts RHB and agree with the half back line actually - Downey can be a Brian hogan of sorts, allowing wing backs to hurl more, score more

Midfield focus has to be on Brian Roche - he’ll double our tackle count single handedly!
Started for cork u21 back in 2016 I think. Will be 28 next year if I have the year right, so might be too late to make the step up to inter county at this stage.

Twomey was on the senior panel for a while a few years ago if I am not mistaken. I'd say that ship has sailed now though.

O Sullivan from Kanturk really impressed me at midfield this year for the 20s, seems like a do it al midfielder and it was great that he got a call up to the seniors late in the year. Mixed with a proper hardy grafter in midfield is what we should be aiming for. Will O Donoghue is as important to Limerick as Byrnes and Hannon in my opinion. He's almost a one of a kind but the template is one we should copy. Darragh O Donovan was obviously sat down and explained his role going forward too as he went from flair stickman to a disruptive link man.

Things are looking up for the hurlers, I'm beyond delighted Furlong and Pat Mul are gone. I've heard more than a handful of stories about them having issues with this and that and player x and y and the same with the players towards them. However we have to keep expectations measured. Pat Ryan will obviously bring in more of the u20s crop but they'll need time. They can't all be like Joyce who slotted in almost immediately, well before he was even at 6.

I'd hope Ryan and co get a proper tune out of Barrett who started the year promising but looked a lad devoid of confidence at the end.

I think Dunmore if we have a more dominant and physical half back line and perhaps two ball winners in the half forward line the midfield will then need lads who can win breaking ball and score from distance as well as moving the ball quickly and accurately under pressure so we might see the likes of Brian O Sullivan, Darragh Flynn or Tommy O Connell getting in there. Midfield would suit both Fitzgibbon and Coleman but I don’t think you can play them together as neither will hold - we have lots of options and Brian Roche could be a more physical alternative.

I still think getting 3,5,6,7 right will be the rock that will make this team along with ball winners at 10 and 12 so beyond that the options available to Ryan are plentiful
Great post, exactly what I have been crying out for for the last 5 years, we need to man up and be able to take on teams physically before we can start letting our hurling do the talking

Daire O Leary at 3, Joyce at 6, RDowney at 7 with the other wing up for grabs with EDowney, Ethan Twomey and a hopefully more bulked up Ger Millerick as front runners.
Brian Roche or a Brian Roche type has to be played midfield
10 and 12 will be key to the whole thing, I’m praying Brian Hayes is pursuaded to switch codes with Tim O Mahony on the other wing, Coleman at 11 dropping deep with Dalton at 14 covering the no 6, Connolly and Barrett inside working in tandem close to goal

Last edited:
EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Joachim Cooder
Cyprus Avenue, Caroline St.

2nd May 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Comedy Cavern: Fin Taylor

Coughlan's, Tomorrow @ 6:30pm

More events ▼