Cork Hurlers - Part 2

We can’t put out a team totally consisting of young players. We need some “minders”. Senior citizens like Hoggy and Conor Lehane still have a role to play.

I find that an amazing stat tbh and evidence of how thinking on the game has changed.

I suspect even as recently as 10 years ago inter-county All Ireland managers wouldn't have dreamed of playing an outfield player in goal on the most important hurling match of the year. But now both AI managers will such is the thinking and strategising of distribution and sweeping required at that level that more of an emphasis is put on those facets than shot stopping.
Ten years ago there would have been uproar if a hurling goalkeeper ventured outside the large parrallelogram in open play. The game is evolving and you'll see goalkeepers coming out further in the coming years. I would imagine you'll see more outfield club players playing in goal for intercounty in future. And Dalton would have a mighty puck out and could take all frees from halfway back.

Makes sense to me.

I find that an amazing stat tbh and evidence of how thinking on the game has changed.

I suspect even as recently as 10 years ago inter-county All Ireland managers wouldn't have dreamed of playing an outfield player in goal on the most important hurling match of the year. But now both AI managers will such is the thinking and strategising of distribution and sweeping required at that level that more of an emphasis is put on those facets than shot stopping.

2019 Tipp keeper played outfield too

Yes distribution is crucial these days

Still you need to stop shots as well

Quaid and Murphy far better than Collins in that aspect even though Collins is a full time keeper

Collins should have done far better for second Galway goal been beaten at near post

If nothing else Dalton is worthy of being on the subs bench as an option out the field or in goals which would give us an extra sub so to speak.

IMO he's worth a look out the field but the fact he can also offer something as either starting or a sub keeper he's worth having.

But having said all that, i dont think the goalkeeper job will be Pat's priority

Has Dalton actually played in goals before?
Was subkeeper for the cork minors. Played in goals for imokilly seniors the two years before they won the first county. Was called onto the Cork u21s as a keeper but played his way outfield after the selectors saw him playing a league game with Fr O'Neills.

Was in goals for Cork during the Waterford crystal of 2016 as well

1096424.jpg

Wouldn't be keen on Dalton for goals. If he's good enough for out field then that's where he belongs. I'd still have serious doubts over him having the speed and pace for Championship Hurling.

But we do need some healthy competition in goal. The two brothers can't be pushing each other too hard.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Smith
The White Horse, Ballincollig

12th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

The Old Moderns

Dwyers Of Cork, Tomorrow @ 10pm

More events ▼