Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Ye are all posting here as long if not longer than I am.
In fairness - if EVERYONE leaves the personal stuff out of it, everyone wins.

Next year will be a new start either way now. Depending on who we get - some of us will be happier than others. Time to clear the decks and start afresh here as well.
Agreed but not going to happen, the clowns on here are always the same culprits. The problem is if your blocking them all then you’re also missing on some smart hurling people. Childish yes but most are enjoyable to read their thoughts, they offer different ideas and sometimes I wonder do the hurlers read this thread. Their player power plus the public opinion are in my opinion why we changed style mid way through a season.

Agreed but not going to happen, the clowns on here are always the same culprits. The problem is if your blocking them all then you’re also missing on some smart hurling people. Childish yes but most are enjoyable to read their thoughts, they offer different ideas and sometimes I wonder do the hurlers read this thread. Their player power plus the public opinion are in my opinion why we changed style mid way through a season.
Or maybe that’s just the drink😂

That’s a juice filled Post alright, fair play 🤣

It's so funny, you just know when he is spoiling for an argument, best to just laugh at him. Everyone else does :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Oh look it's Clayton Fluffer.
🤣
Clayton-Bigsby.jpg

It's not all about senior inter county

Gaa is flying at club level , playing numbers are higher than ever

Yes GAA at club level is vitally important and they provide a superb aspect of Irish life woven into the community as they are but the overall health of GAA in a county, right or wrong, tends to be judged at least in passing, on how their senior inter county (and still primarily men's) team are doing.

And of course if you're winning silverware you have more and more positive reinforcement for today's youngsters, who will be tomorrow's players, and the day after's parents of youngsters wondering which sport to encourage their kids to play.

Winning is a great habit to be in and time was Cork were winning All Irelands every few years which kept the production line of underage talent joining and becoming good Féile, Minor, U-21, and Senior players. You could take an absence of silverware for a few years because of momentum and shur it would all be kick-started again with the next trophy. The problem for Cork is we were very regular winners over many many decades but now we've nearly gone 20 years without (an AI football title in 2010 aside and of course that was a mixed blessing for the hurlers).

I can't think of any other county in either code who were winning a number of All Ireland Senior Titles every decade consistently over a few decades as Cork were, that have gone through the relative famine we've had to endure over the last 18 years tbh.

And of course the lengthy drought isn't all KK's fault, nor Meylers, nor JBM's nor anyone else entirely, but they all contributed to it over the 18 years - it wasn't for the want of trying on their part mind.

How's that going for you?

I think Shefflin showed with Galways effort and tactics against Limerick who only won in the end by emptying a bench of players that would walk onto most county teams, Cork included, that he's better than KK.

I always think that how a team that went in behind re-emerges after half time tells much about managers. Has he seen what's gone wrong in the first half. Has he made the right changes. Has he got them playing the right tactics. Has he got them mentally prepared for the task ahead and the confidence and belief to turn things around. Shefflin ticked a lot of those boxes and it was only Limerick's experience in tight matches, a mammoth bench, one of whom scored 3 from play, and a free-taker on form that saved Limerick's bacon in the end.

Lohan's lot were poor. They didn't turn up and the late withdrawal of Conlan was a huge blow to them. But Lohan didn't learn from KK's mistake - you have to have a quality free taker at this level.

How's it going for you? Have you learnt anything about the game yet :cool:

I think Shefflin showed with Galways effort and tactics against Limerick who only won in the end by emptying a bench of players that would walk onto most county teams, Cork included, that he's better than KK.

I always think that how a team that went in behind re-emerges after half time tells much about managers. Has he seen what's gone wrong in the first half. Has he made the right changes. Has he got them playing the right tactics. Has he got them mentally prepared for the task ahead and the confidence and belief to turn things around. Shefflin ticked a lot of those boxes and it was only Limerick's experience in tight matches, a mammoth bench, one of whom scored 3 from play, and a free-taker on form that saved Limerick's bacon in the end.

Lohan's lot were poor. They didn't turn up and the late withdrawal of Conlan was a huge blow to them. But Lohan didn't learn from KK's mistake - you have to have a quality free taker at this level.

How's it going for you? Have you learnt anything about the game yet :cool:

Lolwut

Now that would be a mistake...if KOD and Co get this one wrong then we need to take that role from them...their ineptitude has put football back 10 yrs here already, hurlers no AI for nearly 20yrs now...can't afford to get it wrong

Screenshot_20220704-085613_Chrome.jpg

What a strange weekend, capping off an odd year for us. I can’t understand for the life of me how Galway came so close today, I couldn’t believe how slow and laboured they were in Semple, and then they go an push limerick to the brink SNIP
Incredible quote from Cody - something like ‘I was never worried about having a settled team, I can change 3 or 4 for any game and it doesn’t matter.’ That’s it in a nutshell, they don’t do anything spectacular but they demand a base level from every player of busting your bollox and executing the basic skills of the game well

There’s nothing between us and KK, we beat them this time last year and I’d have loved a go at them this year. With the right management I think we can get there, it doesn’t need massive change, just smarter quicker calls on the line and proper game plans. All of the top teams play a blend of the short and more direct game, It’s not about only playing monsters, or only playing long ball, it’s about playing the right kind of ball and working like dogs - we have the hurling, the right manager will sort the rest with the right attitude in the camp

Alas I think KK have a killer instinct that we currently lack. When they're ahead they put their foot to the floor and keep it up. It helps too that they play so many big games in Croke Park. I think I heard the commentator say that of the 15 that started for Clare it was first time playing in CP for 12 of them. KK teams have CP as their second home. And home ground advantage can be the difference between winning and coming very close.

I think at the moment Kilkenny would beat us tbh, but they've a ruthless manager who isn't universally popular even in KK despite bringing is it 11 All Irelands to KK in 23 years and back in another final could make it 12 in 24 years. That's a guy who has them flake sh*t out of each other in every training session in his quest for success. The 4 week lay off didn't have them rusty at all because they know they have to compete even in training sessions or Cody will draft in someone else.

We need a ruthless manager who won't stand on reputation, and will take under-performers off even if they are iconic names, who if nothing else, has a word with CCB and pass on instructions to the refs in the county that matches are to be reffed like intercounty matches - let the physical challenges go. Don't be blowing up for soft frees.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Roamer
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

10th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Frankie Boyle: Lap of Shame

Cork Opera House, Today @ 8pm

More events ▼