Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Why do fellas keep saying a outside manager. We are in debt up to our eyeballs FFS. And lads do we have the players. You swear that 20 25 age bracket are the greatest hurlers ever. Sorry not buying it.
Management is not going to help us! County finals nowadays will be lucky to have 10K at them, whereas in 1970’s over 30K filled the old pairc stadium. I remember county finals in the 1960’s between Glen and UCC in the old Athletic Grounds with a ramshackle stand, but the atmosphere and Tension could not be replicated nowadays! I think we have a “White elephant “ down there on the marina

Management is not going to help us! County finals nowadays will be lucky to have 10K at them, whereas in 1970’s over 30K filled the old pairc stadium. I remember county finals in the 1960’s between Glen and UCC in the old Athletic Grounds with a ramshackle stand, but the atmosphere and Tension could not be replicated nowadays! I think we have a “White elephant “ down there on the marina
That white elephant didn't do too bad this week.
The reality is Frank's stadium that he bankrupted Cork gaa for has to remain a concert venue first and foremost until it is paid for.
That's the reward we get for the clubs supporting Frank for 40 years.

That white elephant didn't do too bad this week.
The reality is Frank's stadium that he bankrupted Cork gaa for has to remain a concert venue first and foremost until it is paid for.
That's the reward we get for the clubs supporting Frank for 40 years.
The interest rate hikes that recently happened will balloon the debt repayments. I hope that they can complete their housing deal before the next housing crash. That is the problem with businessmen running a GAA county board!

That is the whole problem with Cork GAA for the last 30 years. Kilkenny, Limerick, Waterford have relatively modest stadiums, but of course the rebel county were not content with what they had. Development within the county has been neglected. Frank Murphy was an administrator and a businessman and his legacy will be one of detriment to Cork GAA!
Setting Frank aside, I don't think this comment is true.
Look at the facilities at Mallow, Clonakilty, Na Piarsaigh, Vincents etc, even junior clubs with small memberships have 2 or 3 pitches and Astros now as well.

Look at the facilities at Mallow, Clonakilty, Na Piarsaigh, Vincents etc, even junior clubs with small memberships have 2 or 3 pitches and Astros now as well.
It’s absolutely not true, facilities in cork gaa clubs are second to none across the country and it’s one area the cb for years got right, fellas need to get out more and look at facilities in other counties.

It’s absolutely not true, facilities in cork gaa clubs are second to none across the country and it’s one area the cb for years got right, fellas need to get out more and look at facilities in other counties.
Yip, one of my kids RebelOg division got expanded and I got to go to a lot of different grounds that I hadn't been to before or at least not in years and they have excellent set ups.

Shows in the performance of the players. Bunch of primary donnas who wilt at the first sign of serious intensity. Unfortunately, all Ireland medals are not given out for quality of playing surfaces! We’ll be looking at games in an empty stadium for the next generation..

Agreed. Was talking to two colleagues from Tipp and Limerick about this a few weeks back. They said they’ve always been amazed at the club set ups down here.
They must laugh and be delighted when they are drawn against Cork county champions, in the Munster hurling club competition. Our club competitions are low standard, and destroyed by referees who blow up at the slightest infringement!

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Shlomo Franklin
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

27th Apr 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Brian Kenny: Tempus Futurum

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 6pm

More events ▼