Cork Hurlers - Part 2

So Kington played a player on Saturday who had wisdom teeth out on Thursday and in severe pain for the match.... Christ i have no confidence in him.
If this is true, and we don't know whether it is or not, surely it is the responsibility of the medical team and not KK. They could possibly have delayed the extraction and/or provided sufficient pain relief. Critics will be blaming KK for the weather next!

Whoever gets the job, it's the first 10-20 minutes that need most focus. That's where Cork are losing games. The mentality coming out of the dressing room just isn't right.

Cork are hurling every single ball, when they should be hurling every single minute. They're accepting 'purple patches' when they should be snuffing out rebellions. Their minds are focused on the mantras of the past.

Turn the page to this decade, get the heads right. Use the league as a tactical experiment, but an opportunity for guys to bring 70 minute performances. Hurl every minute whether you're on or off the ball. Form a habit of manic intensity 100% of the time.

I think it's clear that Kingston, for all he's done right, cannot get that mental aspect humming. It's likely he'll set them back another year. But, if he gets the job again, we should all focus on the positives. There are many.

as a manager and an organizer I would think that KK would be good given his professional background but I would be concerned about how well defined the other roles were in the setup ie what was Sully’s role versus Mulcahy versus Furlong ? what was O Grady’s role ? This was KK’s responsibility as the leader also - to define these roles and make sure everything knitted together in the overall plan To me it looked like Kingston gave license to Mulcahy to define the game plan and he let it run until after the Clare game when it looked like they changed and went more direct so was this down to Furlong ? Who knows but one thing is clear - there needs to be 100% agreement amongst the backroom team on the game plan, you then make sure you have the right type of players to execute on it and then you practice and refine it until it become engrained in the panel. Changing in mid stream does not inspire confidence and would surely spread anxiety amongst the players although in Cork’s case I think they switched to a type of game plan that would have probably pleased the players more. I would thank KK and his team for their genuine service but I think it’s time for change

as a manager and an organizer I would think that KK would be good given his professional background but I would be concerned about how well defined the other roles were in the setup ie what was Sully’s role versus Mulcahy versus Furlong ? what was O Grady’s role ? This was KK’s responsibility as the leader also - to define these roles and make sure everything knitted together in the overall plan To me it looked like Kingston gave license to Mulcahy to define the game plan and he let it run until after the Clare game when it looked like they changed and went more direct so was this down to Furlong ? Who knows but one thing is clear - there needs to be 100% agreement amongst the backroom team on the game plan, you then make sure you have the right type of players to execute on it and then you practice and refine it until it become engrained in the panel. Changing in mid stream does not inspire confidence and would surely spread anxiety amongst the players although in Cork’s case I think they switched to a type of game plan that would have probably pleased the players more. I would thank KK and his team for their genuine service but I think it’s time for change
Good post. It appears kk doesn't have his own definitive opinion on how cork should play but leaves it up to his coaches from frankie flannery, pat Ryan, ger cunningham to furlong and pat mulcahy........

Good post but you do realise it was the players who forced the change in tactics not the management?

The thing that struck me most forcefully at Thurles was the difference in reaction time between the Cork line and that of Clare. Clare's much heralded Rory Hayes, a possible All Star, was whisked ashore after 8 minutes of play. The Cork line, by contrast failed to take any remedial action until the half time break.

The thing that struck me most forcefully at Thurles was the difference in reaction time between the Cork line and that of Clare. Clare's much heralded Rory Hayes, a possible All Star, was whisked ashore after 8 minutes of play. The Cork line, by contrast failed to take any remedial action until the half time break.
Good point. I think Shefflin, who is a rookie manager at this level and whose team led from start to finish, made a change before half time, ie. before our sideline.

Easy to be the hurler on the ditch but this seems to be an issue for as long as i'm going to Cork matches. The Cork line generally takes too long to make a change. Cadogan being a prime example of this last Saturday.

Good post but you do realise it was the players who forced the change in tactics not the management?
I wasn’t aware of that R&B but it’s not a huge surprise and another reason why there needs to be a change of management as it should never happen that the players feel they need to do this.

I think there are a number of key boxes that absolutely need to be ticked entering into a season ie :

1) do management have a plan ?
2) do the players understand it ?
3) do the players fully buy into it ?
4) does each player know their own role ?
5) is each player capable of doing what is asked of them ?
6) is the morale in the camp good ?
7) will the players play for each other ?
8) will the players play for management ?

Players should always feel that management have a plan and know exactly what they are doing and what they expect from each player. The Players need to trust in that plan and execute on it. It would appear that multiple of these boxes weren’t ticked for Cork this season so the buck stops with management.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Damien Dempsey
Live At The Marquee, Showgrounds, Ballintemple

8th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Tony Roberts

The Welcome Inn, Tomorrow @ 10:30pm

More events ▼