Cork Hurlers - Part 2

We should reserve judgment on Clare and limerick too so because cork were so poor when we played them. The truth of the matter if we apply this logic is nobody has beaten anyone in the Munster championship this year.

Take each game on its merits. Corks intensity and workrate and execution was very good in two of the games and very poor in two others. These are things mainly in our own control. Main thing to think about now is Antrim. Could we lose that? Very unlikely but not impossible. Win it and play the loser of Galway/Kilkenny, is that winnable? On all available evidence yes it could well be. Then play Limerick or Clare could you win that, well we usually beat Clare when we need to but they’d probably start lukewarm favourites, Limerick would start very heavy favourites but could we (or any of the top 6) beat Limerick if we showed up and they misfired or were tripped up. Of course any of the top 6 could in such a circumstance. If it couldn’t ever conceivably go wrong for them John Kiely and all their crew wouldn’t be bursting their bollox every night at training.

Limerick and Clare are the form teams but We’re one of three or four teams with Wexford, Kilkenny and maybe Galway (although they could be closer to Clare) an outside but real chance of winning an All Ireland. Given where we were three weeks ago you’d take that.
Limerick & Clare have walzed through the round Robin. Neither had a poor performance in fairness to them. We’ve had 2 pathetic outings, capitulation to Limerick from 40 mins and even worse was the Clare first half. 2 very good performances then against teams that were in a heap.
I’d love another go at either (we’ll be doing well to even get a shot at these again this year), as we’ve changed things up since those defeats. I’d find it hard still to be confident of beating either tbh. I feel more confident than I did before the Waterford game though, small mercies.

The one thing I think about Hoggie is that coming on later in the game when people are tiring and a bit looser he could have that extra fraction of a second that allows a fella with hands like his to really punish a team. I suspect we’ll find out soon enough.

Stats are only as good as the criteria under which they're being taken and used - the old adage of Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics has more than a kernel of truth in it.

Certainly, in the twilight of Hoggies career it's unsurprising that he's not putting in as many tackles as his much younger team-mates and it tended not to be the job of yer scoring star to expend his energies, and risk an injury, trying to shut down opponents coming out. But the game has changed and now there is an onus on defending from the front. I get all of that.

But what is imho a complete nonsense is try to excoriate one attempted defense by one of our forwards while praising another easier one when in both cases "there wasn't a glove landed" labelling one as just tokenism and the other as effective when neither forward actually made contact with his opponent (or the ball) and the "tokenism" one had to run twice as far to try cover off the man with the ball than the other guy did. And this isn't just because Hoggie plays club with the Glen, it's the twisting of the actual facts that I've an issue with.
It would take a Shinner to spot the twisting of actual facts 😀

Seriously though I agree 100%, stats and analysis have a part to play in the game but they are easily manipulated to suit any agenda

I’ve said this already but Hoggy hasn’t the pace anymore to play in the 2 man full foward line we prefer. The qualifier game is an ideal opportunity to play him at 11 and see what he brings, I think he could thrive there. Now will he last a full game there I don’t know but let’s try it and see, we won’t get another opportunity to. At worst Hoggy could be an ideal replacement for seamus if he’s struggling

Last edited:
EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Thursday Showcase
The Roundy, Castle St.

13th Jun 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..
More events ▼