Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Has anyone came to the view that the best 15 players in cork are materially worse than the best 15 players in limerick and Waterford etc?

Bit of realism needed
I haven’t seen many people suggest we have better hurlers than Waterford or Limerick. Very few Cork players would get into the Limerick or Waterford match-day panels in my opinion.

I think people are just tired of seeing the media and ex-players constantly describing Cork as soft, whether that’s true or not. We need to get an edge back in Cork hurling and hopefully that will start against Waterford, regardless of the result.

I’m not suggesting that any of these players are better hurlers than the current forwards, but there are some players in the club championship who are arguably harder-working, and definitely more physical than the current Cork forwards. Aaron Myers is a ball-winner who works hard and he’s been very consistent for Sars over the last few years. Tadhg Deasy can also win his own ball and at his best could have something different to offer in my opinion. Shane O’Regan has had his issues but he is well capable of working hard and winning his own ball. Colin O’Brien showed that he is capable of working hard under Pat Ryan and again offers a physical presence. If you combined those 4 with Daniel Kearney and Brian Roche in a Cork forward line, I’d be confident we’d be winning more high-balls, breaking balls and have a harder-working forward line.

Some fair questions could be raised about whether individually, their hurling is good enough for inter-county, or in fact, anywhere near as good as the current Cork forward line, but in the areas of ball-winning ability, work-rate and physicality, I think they would offer more than the current forward-line. Again, I wouldn’t be in favour of those 6 forwards starting and I think we need to combine the current forwards with some of them, but something has to change.

At the moment we are one of the nicest team in the country to play and it all starts in the forward line. I’m sure the likes of Diarmuid Byrne and Kyle Hayes look forward to facing off against Cork as they will be given space and time in possession. We need to find hurlers in the Cork forward line who will get under their skin and challenge them physically. Becoming a team where work-rate and physicality is non-negotiable, especially in the forward-line, would be a good starting point for next season.

I posted earlier that the atmosphere in the dressing room must be toxic
and as long as that continues the players confidence must be dire resulting in the below par performances.
New management are the only ones who can address this.

An alternative Cork senior hurling team from players either not on the panel, or not getting a look in or not being given enough starts

Would they beat the seniors?

Brian Saunderson
Eoin Roche Cormac O Brien Billy Hennessy
Ethan Twomey. Tommy O Connell Eoin Downey
Brian O Sullivan San Quirke
Mark Keane Declan Dalton Ciaran O Brien
Padraig Power Sean Twomey Alan Connolly
Would alter your goalie to eoin Davis. Puck outs saunderson is poor. Eoin roche and Cormac o brien go switch positions. Downey to centre back with Daire o Leary wingback and not Tommy centre back. We need to sort a solid side. one without sweepers and false positions. Midfield looks good and you can add Brian roche to midfield or the forwards and Brian hayes from st Finbarrs would be in the team as another ball winner. Connolly to full and Towmey on the wing. But that would be a solid tougher team
1 eoin Davis
2 Cormac o brien
3 eoin roche
4 Billy Hennessey
5 Ethan Towmey
6 Eoin Downey
7 Daire o Leary
8 Brian o sullivan
9 Brian roche
10 Brian Hayes
11 Declan Dalton
12 sean Towmey
13 Colin o brien
14 Alan Connolly
15 padraig power

It wouldn’t be a bad team and 13 all Ireland u20 winners on that side. We arguably lack proven winners with the seniors. Then to add Joyce and Barrett would give you an all ireland u20 team to go forward with. We need more proven winners in the senior team. Too many have lost too many finals to count unfortunately

R&B, you are delusional. You come up with stupid ideas with no basis on fact. All of a sudden your 15, most of whom have never played senior for Cork, are better than the current crop.....cop on. You are constantly on overdrive on this matter and it results in you making no sense. Your heart is in the right place I know but..................

Thats about the size of it.

We are nowhere near Limerick.

We might have a side that will challenge in a couple of years but we're not there yet. Most of the gang here are completely unrealistic about Cork's chances.

I haven’t seen many people suggest we have better hurlers than Waterford or Limerick. Very few Cork players would get into the Limerick or Waterford match-day panels in my opinion.

I think people are just tired of seeing the media and ex-players constantly describing Cork as soft, whether that’s true or not. We need to get an edge back in Cork hurling and hopefully that will start against Waterford, regardless of the result.
We are soft though v much so in comparison to KK Limerick Tipp Galway

Would alter your goalie to eoin Davis. Puck outs saunderson is poor. Eoin roche and Cormac o brien go switch positions. Downey to centre back with Daire o Leary wingback and not Tommy centre back. We need to sort a solid side. one without sweepers and false positions. Midfield looks good and you can add Brian roche to midfield or the forwards and Brian hayes from st Finbarrs would be in the team as another ball winner. Connolly to full and Towmey on the wing. But that would be a solid tougher team
1 eoin Davis
2 Cormac o brien
3 eoin roche
4 Billy Hennessey
5 Ethan Towmey
6 Eoin Downey
7 Daire o Leary
8 Brian o sullivan
9 Brian roche
10 Brian Hayes
11 Declan Dalton
12 sean Towmey
13 Colin o brien
14 Alan Connolly
15 padraig power

It wouldn’t be a bad team and 13 all Ireland u20 winners on that side. We arguably lack proven winners with the seniors. Then to add Joyce and Barrett would give you an all ireland u20 team to go forward with. We need more proven winners in the senior team. Too many have lost too many finals to count unfortunately
Harty, my team was meant as an illustration of the alternative talent out there, I wasn’t suggesting we play all 15. How the hell did I forget Brian Hayes?

From the current panel i would still be starting Collins, Sean, Niall, DOL, Downey, Millerick, Joyce, Tim, Barrett Connolly and Robbie and then adding the right mix of players from the alternative team or from the other current starters if they show a change of attitude

PCollins
SODonoghue DOLeary NOLeary
GMillerick CJoyce RDowney
ETwomey BOSullivan
TOMahony DDalton STwomey
ROFlynn AConnolly SBarrett

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Nicole Maguire
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

25th May 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Colm Murphy